Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 10:00:11 PM EDT
is there anything wrong w stocking up on this stuff, can if go bad?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It won't go bad in your lifetime.
I've shot ammo dating back to WWII, with no problems.
The exception is british .303, as that is loaded with cordite, instead of gun powder.
Cordite seems to degrade over time, leading to a lot of hangfires.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
just clean your weapon after use and you'll be alright.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#3]
soap and H2O right? lots of scrubin too...
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
nothing wrong with it .

depedning on the climate,depends on fast you gotta clean it.
Normally, its 3 days here before i get a lil brown tint to my barrel.
What i do is after shooting mop it down with clp. let it sit a day then clean. Then just mop/oil really well.
I used to do that whole windex,water,soap and piss thing.  It helps if your super fincky and dont shoot the rifle much.. but i figure oil the heck outta it and be done
YMMV,  FWIW i had a buttplate rust before barrels doing this when no power and humdity for 7 days in ahurricane.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I just use boiling water poured into a funnel from the chamber end, let the water dry and clean as usual.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC the reason most armed forces used it for so long was because it was more reliable in storage and different climates. I have personally shot ammo from the 40's and it shot just fine, who knows how it was stored before I got it.

Like others have said clean it good soon after your done shooting and don't forget to wipe down the bolt face. Also note that the gun your shooting may have already shot 1000's of rounds of corossive ammo already.

-JTP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top