Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 9:14:58 PM EDT
I have a good amount of preps already, and this cash is burning a hole in my pocket. Might as well spend it on something useful.

Preps I already have.

M&P15T 3 Pmags
Colt 1911 Officer Frame 2 7nd Mags
200rnds of .223
200rnds 45 ball
50rnds FMJ .45

EDC
Surefire 6P
Wallet
Casio  GZone
Colt Night defender
spare mag
Benchmade Griptilian
pen

BOB
Spare Prescriptions
Basic 1st Aid kit
Surefire G2 Spare Batteries
Motorola GMRS walkie talkie
Knife
Duct Tape
Rain Gear
Spare clothes
Bottled Water
Katadyn Water Filter
Platypus Bladders
Food Bars
Copy of my CCW permit and passport

In my car at all times (Mazda 6 Wagon)
Gerber Pack Axe.
Power Inverter
GPS
Tire Pressure gauge
blanket

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd spend about half of it on more ammo, I'd get a good hand cranked radio and spend the rest on household food.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
How about four 55 gallon water barrels for water storage.  Check craig's list, I paid $10 each for mine, they contained wine previously.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in a townhouse rental with 2 other guys. I'm in college. I go to school 8 hours from my family. I'm going to be bugging out if SHTF.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
3 mags, and 200 rds? I would want to put another 0 on the end of those.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure what the difference is between ball and FMJ.

I'd add a box of hollow points, a few more AR mags, another 100 rds ammo(maybe.)
2 LED flashlights that run off of D, C or AA batts and spare batts.  Rayovac had a nice 2D LED model for $6-10.
Water can/jugs/barrels, coffee filters, and chlorine (ie HTH)
Soap, basic first aid supplies, multivitamens
Duct tape, 6 mil pastic, staple gun and stapes, a few poly tarps.
Some means of cooking (propane, white gas, kerosene, multifuel, etc.  Matches, lighters
Take half the remaining money and buy beans, dent corn, Crisco, rice, sugar, and seasonings, salt, seal in 5 gallon buckets.  Wheat and a grinder would be a good purchase as well.
Remaining money for more of what you eat everyday (so it will get rotated)  Ie soup, tuna, canned veggies, buy chese in blocks, etc

Based on your latter post, I'd buy some freeze dried food for the BOB
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
3 mags, and 200 rds? I would want to put another 0 on the end of those.

This is the first thing I would do.

You need alot more mags and alot more ammo.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
More mags, you need at least 6-7, 10 or 20 is better.  More ammo, 500 rounds more rifle ammo at least.  

Also add a couple hard 6-7 gallon water containers with stored water plus 2-5 cased of bottled water.  For food I would add a couple of cases of MRE's plus some supplements like Mountain House and maybe some canned foods.  Since your bugging out keep all of these preps in action packers or other portable sized storage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#8]
500$ on LTS food items

the rest blow on what ever you want( i would go with a good filter, some mags, ammo, training)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
500$ on LTS food items

the rest blow on what ever you want( i would go with a good filter,(included in his BOB list) some mags, ammo, training)

yup, food...

then:

spare parts for your AR.

another 100 rounds of 5.56

couple more pmags

then maybe a .22 conversion, a spare mag or three, and some bulk pack .22 federal, if you can find it in your AO all dry here. i just bough a couple of the cmmg conversions for me and my family, best gun related money i've spent in a long time. they're damn reliable and they make shooting(as well as practice/training/plinking) fun and affordable again...

ETA: keep any thing left over as spare cash on hand in the BOB or some place safe and accessible for SHTF usage...

K.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Good AK47, 10 mags and 2k rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Your two most likely SHTF scenarios are: Unemployment and a storm.  You will probably not BO to home in either instance.  Zombies, riots, plague, and nukes are low on the probability list.  I would buy (6) 5-gallon water containers and (4) 5-gallon fuel container and fill them up.  Water is not only for drinking, but for flushing the toilet and you will have trouble making it 8 hours if there are no gas stations open.  Add to your food supplies and throw the rest in the bank unless you already have enough cash to last for at least 6 months of unemployment.  After that go for more gear.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't see a multitool or some firemaking items (matches, lighters, napalm etc)
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Ammo and more mags both are perishable items.  

A spare bolt or parts for your guns wouldn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
A generator and some fuel cans.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd get a case of .223 - good investment as the prices will only go up in the future
7 more mags for the M&P - mags wear out, get broken, crushed, etc
3 more for the colt
Butstock cleaning kit for the M&P and some sort of cleaning gear for the Colt.  Maybe one of the otis kits for both calibers

I'd get minimum of 3 days of freeze dried food for the car and 3 days of MRE's for the BOB.

I'd store some water in the car - A case of bottled water in the small bottles.  Doesn't cost much and the smaller bottles you can transfer to your BOB if you end up footing it.   You might not find a place to use your filter

I'm assuming you have web gear of some sort.

I'd also get a rifle case, one of the ones that has a shoulder strap.  The chance of you walking around looking like rambo are pretty remote.  Don't want to scare the sheeple.  However, should you have a vehicle breakdown and end up hoofing it you can case you rifle and carry it.

THe number one tool I would get would be a Leatherman.  Yeah, I know that they are not a gun friendly company, so get one of the other brands.  They are extremely useful however.  

Maps of your AO and travel.  THere is a good chance the GPS would be down.  Besides, if you are on foot then your GPS is doing you no good.

Multiples of underwear and socks

Good boots and a backup pair in case one set gets wet,etc

Toilet paper for the car, itchy butt is no fun and leaves don't cut it

Brett
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I live in a townhouse rental with 2 other guys. I'm in college. I go to school 8 hours from my family. I'm going to be bugging out if SHTF.

How and where?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top