Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/17/2012 8:30:41 PM EDT by insin]
Hello all,
This is the first year that I am trying my hand at gardening.  I purchased two types of tomatoes, a bell pepper, and a zucchini starter at my local farmers market.  I got this zucchini plant into the ground and within 24 hours I noticed that something is going to town on the leaves. I didn't see any culprits (under leaves/on vine) however I did notice before watering that there was what appeared to be white foamy "spit" on a lower portion of the vine.  

Any ideas on how to go about resolving this pest?  I could just go down to my local HD and pick up any ole pesticide, but I figured that I would ask here first.  I am not against the use of pesticides but would this situation require its use?  If so, what would be a good recommendation?  Again, this is my first year ever giving this gardening a shot, so I am completely new.

Thanks for the feedback
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 5:34:38 PM EDT
Most likely a rabbit.  Put a fence around your patch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 8:30:57 PM EDT
Sorry I forgot to add a pic.  Fixed
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 11:27:03 PM EDT
Might be slugs.

look under the straw and other areas to find their hiding places.  are there any slim trails indicating their presence?
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 12:24:32 AM EDT
I went out after dark with a flashlight and this is what I found.  It looks like a combination of earwigs and slugs.  What would remedy this?

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 2:15:53 AM EDT
Cheap beer traps for the slugs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 3:46:37 AM EDT
Top Top