Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:40:21 PM EDT
Hello all,
This is the first year that I am trying my hand at gardening.  I purchased two types of tomatoes, a bell pepper, and a zucchini starter at my local farmers market.  I got this zucchini plant into the ground and within 24 hours I noticed that something is going to town on the leaves. I didn't see any culprits (under leaves/on vine) however I did notice before watering that there was what appeared to be white foamy "spit" on a lower portion of the vine.  

Any ideas on how to go about resolving this pest?  I could just go down to my local HD and pick up any ole pesticide, but I figured that I would ask here first.  I am not against the use of pesticides but would this situation require its use?  If so, what would be a good recommendation?  Again, this is my first year ever giving this gardening a shot, so I am completely new.

Thanks for the feedback
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely a rabbit.  Put a fence around your patch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I forgot to add a pic.  Fixed
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be slugs.

look under the straw and other areas to find their hiding places.  are there any slim trails indicating their presence?
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I went out after dark with a flashlight and this is what I found.  It looks like a combination of earwigs and slugs.  What would remedy this?

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Cheap beer traps for the slugs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 3:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top