Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/8/2007 12:39:35 PM EST
I've been thinking about taking up bow hunting, and the season starts next week. I haven't fired a bow since I hit my little brother with a suction dart on a plastic toy 30 years ago and my parents took it away and bought me a shotgun instead.

What's the learning curve? Can I realistically expect to buy a bow and be able to hit something with a few weeks practice? How much should I expect to invest to get beginner's starting equipment?

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:11:43 AM EST
You can be hitting a paper plate at 20 yards under range conditions in relatively short order.

Consistent accuracy in the hunting woods takes longer.

Expect to spend $200 to $2,000 dollars. Set your budget first, then go shopping....not vice versa.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:25:51 AM EST
Having not shot a bow in 30 years, I recently purchased my first bow.

It took 15 shots at the Cabela's in FT Worth to get my 20yd pin sighted in.

When I got home I was able to hit my buddies 3D target (in the kill zone) on the first shot.

The other 3 pins were already set for 30, 40 & 50 yds.

I shot 60-75 times that day at all 4 distances and only missed once and attribute that to a gust of wind that kicked up as I was about to shoot.

I'm certainly no pro, but I know I can hit what I'm aiming at. I practice every other day and have been having my wife set the target at different distances (while I'm not looking) to help me gauge my distance.

I want to be able to hit a smaller target such as a tennis ball size (or smaller) as opposed to pie plate size target on the deer target.

So to answer one of your questions, I don't find that it was that hard to learn. YMMV.

I can't tell you how much to spend though, that would depend on your budget I guess.

Cabela's had a special going on the day I was there (may still have it going on, who knows). I got the bow with arrow rest, quiver, sight, limb saver stuff, etc for $600.00. Another $175.00 for arrows, a hard case, broad heads, a release, and... I think that's it.

I spent more than I wanted, but I'm happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:55:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:08:26 PM EST
I busted my budget, but I'm not upset about it. I ended up getting a left over 2006 Hoyt Lasertec. I was hitting the pie plate in no time at 20 yds. I'll stick to that distance until I get some more practice, then sight in my 30 and 40 yard posts.
Top Top