Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 1:39:35 PM EDT
I've been thinking about taking up bow hunting, and the season starts next week.  I haven't fired a bow since I hit my little brother with a suction dart on a plastic toy 30 years ago and my parents took it away and bought me a shotgun instead.

What's the learning curve?  Can I realistically expect to buy a bow and be able to hit something with a few weeks practice?  How much should I expect to invest to get beginner's starting equipment?  

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You can be hitting a paper plate at 20 yards under range conditions in relatively short order.  

Consistent accuracy in the hunting woods takes longer.  

Expect to spend $200 to $2,000 dollars.  Set your budget first, then go shopping....not vice versa.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Having not shot a bow in 30 years, I recently purchased my first bow.

It took 15 shots at the Cabela's in FT Worth to get my 20yd pin sighted in.

When I got home I was able to hit my buddies 3D target (in the kill zone) on the first shot.

The other 3 pins were already set for 30, 40 & 50 yds.

I shot 60-75 times that day at all 4 distances and only missed once and attribute that to a gust of wind that kicked up as I was about to shoot.

I'm certainly no pro, but I know I can hit what I'm aiming at. I practice every other day and have been having my wife set the target at different distances (while I'm not looking) to help me gauge my distance.

I want to be able to hit a smaller target such as a tennis ball size (or smaller) as opposed to pie plate size target on the deer target.

So to answer one of your questions, I don't find that it was that hard to learn. YMMV.

I can't tell you how much to spend though, that would depend on your budget I guess.

Cabela's had a special going on the day I was there (may still have it going on, who knows). I got the bow with arrow rest, quiver, sight, limb saver stuff, etc for $600.00. Another $175.00 for arrows, a hard case, broad heads, a release, and... I think that's it.

I spent more than I wanted, but I'm happy with my purchase.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I busted my budget, but I'm not upset about it.  I ended up getting a left over 2006 Hoyt Lasertec.  I was hitting the pie plate in no time at 20 yds.  I'll stick to that distance until I get some more practice, then sight in my 30 and 40 yard posts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top