Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 11:07:31 AM EDT
My Eton/Grundig G6 Aviator dinky radio failed after a few months. It was crap to begin with:

1. The display would lock up at random times requiring usage of the "reset" switch (I was wondering why a clock/alarm/radio would have a "reboot" switch

now I know why)

2. Sensitivity for shortwave is next to nil, even with a shortwave antenna attached

3. The LCD itself would fade randomly, and now it finally is showing just parts of the display.

OTOH, the radio still functions ...

So, I've tossed it in the trash, can't stand stuff that doesn't work for daily use, much less for SHTF.

What portable small radio would you recommend? Yes, I have a ham radio & license that I can use to listen to shortwave, but:

1. I want a nightstand radio with an alarm clock, AM/FM for daily use

2. I want a lightweight radio for use when storms happen and I don't really want to erect an antenna outside

3. If SHTF, it helps to have the radio to monitor freqs running on AA batteries/solar power, without consuming my Ham radio comm power

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It may not be up to your standards for pure shortwave use, but I'd recommend the Kaito KA202L just to have a couple around if nothing else. They are $16, hip pocket sized, do FM, AM, shortwave, have an alarm clock, LED light, and run on AAs.

I'm a novice to shortwave and radio in general- this is my first unit- but I have had a great time trying to figure out what/where I am listening to.

YMMV, but mine picks up stations better than my father's Grundig D300.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Grundig YB-400.

Mine's a Y2k purchase, still going.

Ops
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes, I have a ham radio & license that I can use to listen to shortwave, but:

2. I want a lightweight radio for use when storms happen and I don't really want to erect an antenna outside

3. If SHTF, it helps to have the radio to monitor freqs running on AA batteries/solar power, without consuming my Ham radio comm power.

Since you're a ham, you should already know the answer to your question...

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I have a ham radio & license that I can use to listen to shortwave, but:

3. If SHTF, it helps to have the radio to monitor freqs running on AA batteries/solar power, without consuming my Ham radio comm power.

Since you're a ham, you should already know the answer to your question...

LOL, yeah I have a couple of Ham radios already, but I want a 3rd nightstand radio that I can also use as an adjunct to the Ham radios, and/or use while travelling.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top