Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2013 11:17:16 AM EDT
I'm looking for some genuine US military issue MREs. I've only ever bought them when I've been on military installations (I work for .gov as a civilian). My last few were from Fort Benning for $4.55 each, what a great price! I'm seeing knock-offs going for $10+ online!

I know the .gov has pressured the manufacturers to not sell them to consumers and requires them to print US Government Property Not for Resale on the boxes. Stupid .gov stuff.

I also know that Ameriqual is one of the 3 authorized producers for the .gov. They sell civilian versions called A-Packs, but have a much more limited menu selection (6 vs. 24).

Anyone know where I can get genuine MREs for a decent price? (I know the $4.55 at Fort Benning was a steal, I'm not looking for that, but I'd like less than $10).
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Issued ones are not supposed to be in private hands.

You can get "same as is issued but never issued" from armygear.net and they'll be the same thing you got in the service including the heaters and packaging.  I have ordered from them and will again when I need more. It looks like the price is decent right now (though, not comparable to what you can get in the service obviously).

Don't forget to visit Outdoors > Survival Forum and Outdoors > Survival Gear forums here if you are interested in that stuff.

Also, visit www.mreinfo.com for a whole bunch of information, reviews, and pictures.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
www.armygear.net.         Real mre's for $64.98 a case plus shipping.  That is the best online place I have ever found to buy them from.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Down here on the coast after hurricanes the National guard hands out truckloads of MRE's, after Katrina my household got atleast a truckbed full of them. Only other place I can get them is either of the two military bases in my area for around 12 bucks a piece
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I cant think of a single reason for a civilian to purchase MREs. Bulk food is cheaper, healthier and easy to prepare.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I cant think of a single reason for a civilian to purchase MREs. Bulk food is cheaper, healthier and easy to prepare.

1. High Calore = good in survival or high metabolic situations
2. Easy hot meal during camping, hiking, hunting.
3. Good shelf life. Not great, but good.
4. Good further addition to preps. No they are not my "go to" but they are a back up for my back ups and have a place on my shelf.
5. Good to hand out to neighbors and friends who are in need for whatever the case may be.
6. Can be eaten cold and require no water or cooking source. Can be heated numerous different ways.

Bulk food is cheaper. But this is prepared, sealed, wrapped food, not 50lbs of rice. Bulk food is healthier but these are not designed as granola, they are packed with calories for a reason. How are bulk foods easier to prepare? I put a cup of water in a pouch, drop in another pouch into first said pouch. Wait 5 minutes and ta da. Dinner.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask some buddies in the national guard/reserve, all the ones i know have them coming out the wazoo in their garage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top