Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 2:50:04 PM EDT
Like this, at least for today's vacuum-bagging session:

Beans and rice... not a bad dinner.  If I could cook them the way they do in Mexico, I could eat them every day of  my life and not be sad.  After eating them for the entire two years I was down there, I still loved them just as much as the first day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Mmmmm, Rice and beans...... (cue the slobbering Homer pic)

A few of my favorites-

1/2 rice and 1/2 black beans.  Add salsa and hot sause (a lot of each) and top with mozerella cheese.

1/2 rice and 1/2 Cattle Drive chili from Costco.  I can't eat Nalley's chili again after eating Cattle Drive (and I'm a culinary retard, so making my own is out, don't bother suggesting it)

Cold rice with cinnamon and sugar, add milk and eat like cereal for breakfast

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget the Beano.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's an awesome dinner with rice and beans:

1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatos (drained)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can chili

simmer all of those for a while, scoop it over brown rice, then top with guacamole.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to get basmati rice if you want something good. The Lakshmi brand produces some good product that you can get at your neighborhood Indian grocery store. Try some and you will thank me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as the beans are spicy...I'm in!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can always add chipotle sauce to the mix...  Bufalo, FTW:

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can always add chipotle sauce to the mix...  Bufalo, FTW:

http://www.hotsauce.com/v/vspfiles/photos/1114-2T.jpg

Or the dried crushed peppers like you put on pizza.  That stuff should store well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's an awesome dinner with rice and beans:

1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatos (drained)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can chili

simmer all of those for a while, scoop it over brown rice, then top with guacamole.

That sounds really yummy!  I might add some cheese and maybe sour cream.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Almost once a week I'll do a can of Ranch Style Beans over rice with some shredded cheddar on top..mmmm, good!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A few of my favorites-

1/2 rice and 1/2 black beans.  Add salsa and hot sause (a lot of each) and top with mozerella cheese.

1/2 rice and 1/2 Cattle Drive chili from Costco.  I can't eat Nalley's chili again after eating Cattle Drive (and I'm a culinary retard, so making my own is out, don't bother suggesting it)

Culinary retard? Meh soes my wife

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A few of my favorites-

Sir, I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like this, at least for today's vacuum-bagging session:

http://i42.tinypic.com/o0v76s.jpg

Beans and rice... not a bad dinner.  If I could cook them the way they do in Mexico, I could eat them every day of  my life and not be sad.  After eating them for the entire two years I was down there, I still loved them just as much as the first day.

Have you tried using a clay pot.  I have one my grandmother gave me that I cook mine in.  It really does make a difference in the taste.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#14]
are those similar to Pinto beans?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The ones I bagged were pinto beans.  Black beans are similar, but taste much better.  I just haven't found a good source to buy them in large quantity (25-100 lbs).
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I bagged were pinto beans.  Black beans are similar, but taste much better.  I just haven't found a good source to buy them in large quantity (25-100 lbs).

Blue Chip Group.  About 3800 S and 400 W, right off the 35th south exit from I-215.  You can also buy them canned in #10 cans or 6gal bucket if you want.

can- $12.72
25lb bag- $29.12
42lb pail- #57.06

They also have black eye beabs, garbonzo, northern, two types of kidney, lentils, lima (yuck), red, pink, pinto, navy, split peas and yes.....refried.  They are all about the same price- give or take a few cents.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#17]
How many #'s of rice and beans is pictured?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#18]
50 pounds of rice, and I think 25 pounds of beans.  The beans are on top of the rest of the rice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
lunch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top