Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 9:06:08 PM EDT
The other gas mask thread reminded me that I need to get a couple gas masks.

What is a good mask to get? I don't want to spend a lot. Not more than $50 for each.

Would these be ok to get? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MIL1200-1.html

They are milsurp so I have no idea if they would still be effective.

Also do they just protect against dust particle and "gas", or do they protect against bacteria and viruses?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
price wise i cant help, but i do wear one everyday for work in anything from 25 - 125 degrees. i also use mine more in a week than most people just stocking up. i actually have two different ones, a standard particle powered mask and a unpowered dual filter thats is good for vapors too. my particle filter does nothing for vapors like acids or sulfur, but my twin filter that has a charcoal secondary takes out odors and vapors. i would also suggest you wear it a few times to learn how to wear it properly. after some looking just the filter for one mask is $100 on amazon so research and buy the best you can afford    not sure if it helps much but just some things to keep in mind when shopping
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
http://approvedgasmasks.com/gas-filters.htm

Different filters for different environments/ threats. I would stick to the standard filter unless you live near a specific chemical threat from a factory or transfer point.  The general military type filters cover most threats except for chlorine gas.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 1:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The Gents above have excellent info.

I "have" 2 different types for work, but rarely use either outside of yearly training. Based on what's out there today, (And from what I can remember from NBC school in the '80's) you're NOT going to find something for 50 bucks or less, that you can reasonably trust with your life.

I don't know what your environment entails, (large,urban city,  suburbs, rural, etc.)
A gas mask, or even an escape hood might be a waste of funds for your individual situation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The other gas mask thread reminded me that I need to get a couple gas masks.

What is a good mask to get? I don't want to spend a lot. Not more than $50 for each.

Would these be ok to get? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MIL1200-1.html

They are milsurp so I have no idea if they would still be effective.

Also do they just protect against dust particle and "gas", or do they protect against bacteria and viruses?

The link you provided has this in the description..."Gas masks and filters have expiration dates. We sell masks and filters as military collectables only; use of a surplus mask or filter is at your own risk."

That would be all I needed to read and stay away, YMMV.

I have S.E.A. DP(Domestic Preparedness) masks and filters   http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/dp-gasmask.htm

These filters are rated for
Used against particles, dust, smoke, fume, bacteria, viruses, biological warfare agents, and a wide range of organic, inorganic and acid gases and ammonia. Examples: Sarin, nerve gas, mustard gas, cyanogen, phosgene, radioactive dust, toxic particulate, aerosols, tear gas, bacteria, viruses, anthrax, smallpox etc. Also provides protection against industrial gases such as ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, acid gases, chlorine, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen chloride and many more.

Honestly, in my area the biggest worry is a rail accident causing a chem spill. I can't evac my home w/o crossing a set of tracks in either direction.  We did have a derailment not too far, but far enough not to cause to much worry~8 miles) from my home a few years back.

FB

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
As tacticalcarbine suggested I would try on the gas mask to assure a propper fit and test it with say a smoke of some sort see if it is providing a snug fit. I occasionally work around high contents of H2S Hydrogen Sulfide and we are trained in using respratory systems, of course these are positive pressure systems so even if there were to be a leak it would push out not pull in like a conventional gas mask. We were told to shave to assure the snug fit, which I am not sure how far that would go as far as being accurate but it is a thought.

I read up on your gas mask, as a cheap alternative yeah it would probably pass for tear gas or mace. The old style 60mm canisters are out of production. If you plan on purchasing that item being that you are on a budget I would get a 60 to 40mm adapter for it and purchase some new fresh NATO 40mm canister filters for higher levels of filtration than the old ones that were origonally supplied with it. Just a thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top