Posted: 1/3/2012 8:59:26 AM EDT
Anyone do this?

Are you using 70% or 91% Isopropyl?

Any cautions?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I run a alcohol stove for backpacking (mini trangia) and it does really great.  As far as a multi fuel stove, I don't see why it wouldn't work.   I normally use either DA, or the HEET that comes in a yellow bottle.  The HEET has methanol in it I believe, so don't huff the stuff, or the fumes but for backpacking it does great.  

Like TJ says, watch out for the flame, in sunlight you can't see it, and you can burn yourself bad if you get careless.

Rubbing alcohol is really too watered down to do anything with, same with Vodka.  Now if you live somewhere you can get the good Everclear that works really well as does moonshine
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got back from a 3 day hike on the Applachain.  I used 91% isopropyl and it burnt fine, but I wasn't happy not being able to see a flame in daylight.  Also got a bit of a headache although I can't be sure it was the isopropyl smell.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, can you use Grain alcohol / "Everclear"?

I thinks it's 150 proof. Should burn better than Vodka.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered a MSR Whisperlite International Stove.

Anyone know if it is able to burn Isopropyl?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting, can you use Grain alcohol / "Everclear"?

I thinks it's 150 proof. Should burn better than Vodka.

Yes you can use Everclear. It does have a distinct advantage in that you can burn it, drink it, and use it to disinfect wounds. Only real negative is that is very expensive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you using 70% or 91% Isopropyl?

At least in the penny alcohol stoves, anything less concentrated than 91 percent Isopropyl is difficult to light, and doesn't burn with a clean flame.

Denatured alcohol works very well, as does the yellow-bottle "Heet" fuel system dryer (which is mostly methyl alcohol). As previously mentioned Everclear is great, but MUCH more expensive than the other fuels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top