Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2023 3:24:33 PM EDT
There is an older thread I wanted to add an update to but it is archived.

I also know this is techinally a HAM radio forum and the thread is about encryption but non the less this was the sub-forum the thread was started in.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Inexpensive-HTs-with-AES-encryption/22-699090/?page=1

It appears TYT has released an update of sorts and are now claiming AES256.

I have an MD-UV390G with the latest firmware (S019.006).

TYT...or at least BuyTwoWayRadios is claiming there is now a MD-UV390 Plus...which appears exactly like the MD-UV390G.  I downloaded the newest CPS, Version 2.34 and completed the "Ctrl+Shift+P" function inside the software. The "Universal" encryption option appeared in the CPS showing AES 256 and 64 character keys. They keys must be Hex keys. I noted that under the channel programming panel you have four options for encryption. None, Basic, Enhanced and Universal.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/tyt-md-uv390-plus.html

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2023/08/how-to-access-256-bit-encryption-mode-in-the-md-uv390-plus.html

I programmed in some keys to the Universal settings, selected it under the channel settings and pushed it to the radio. It seems to have taken the keys.

What I find interesting is the video putout by BuyTwoWayRadios speaks of added hardware for the AES256 in the "Plus" model but they also speak of the basic and enhanced keys working with Motorola radios...which I have be unable to get to work. I don't know how factually correct they are.

I don't know if this is just some ruse or if this is really AES256....anyone here have a real AES256 radio and a MD-UV390?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
So I am not 100% sure it is working on my radio...when I go to program in the keys, the radio takes the keys and software completes the upload. When I go to read the keys back from the radio I get a bunch of non-sense. I have a few other non plus 390 radios but I have no way to tell if they are really encrypted with AES256 or not....

I also noted that you can now select other encryption protocols under the "Universal" tab. None, ARC4, AES128 and AES256.  I wonder if that is what they are speaking of in the BTWR video?

My OCD got the best of me and I ordered a "Plus" model radio to experiment with.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Be aware that, unless the rules have changed, it is illegal per FCC rules to encrypt amateur radio transmissions other than commands to a satellite.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish they would make some dual format P25/DMR units.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish they would make some dual format P25/DMR units.
View Quote

The Viking VP8000 is currently analogue, P25, NXDN, and is planned to do DMR later this year/next year through a software update.

But like all high-end Viking/EFJ radios...gonna be a pretty penny. I'd expect north of 2k for one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Very interesting, OP.

I too was wondering about this, as I have MD UV390 and 380, and thought it was odd they were advertising them as AES256.  Mine use 32 digit keys, AES128 I guess.

Was very happy to see a source other than Amazon for these, at any rate.  I get alot of use out of my 390.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
LetsGetReadyinc.com and BuyTwoWayRadios.com are two decent sources for the TYT products.

Through let's get ready I ordered what I thought was going to be two 2200mAh batteries and instead got much larger 3600mAh batteries. Pleasant surprise.

https://letsgetreadyinc.com/tyt-2200mah-battery-for-tyt-390-680d-8200-series/

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The most certain way to validate would be to capture some transmissions from a radio using a RTL-SDR and a valid commercial license and go through the decryption process offline using the key and industry standard libraries like openssl.  This would be difficult  depending on whether they use the standard cookbook encryption modes like CBC or ECB or you can get some insights from the firmware or manufacturer.  There are packages like DSD and DSD+ that currently decode DMR packets.  You could start with that and then see if they could be modified to decrypt as well.  There's enough vendors doing this, so it should be possible.  Also DSheirer's sdrtrunk has branched into DMR decoding and has some decryption as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be aware that, unless the rules have changed, it is illegal per FCC rules to encrypt amateur radio transmissions other than commands to a satellite.
View Quote

well I dont think that is entirely accurate.

just like HF digital modes and VHF / UHF digital comm  and HF digital comm, I think if you publicly publish the encryption key it is probably legal.

To my knowledge the rule does say no encryption, it says comm must be in the clear unless the means to decode is published.

I cant currently find the actual wording but if I do I will post it.

ETA:

RTTY and data emissions using unspecified digital codes must not be transmitted for the purpose of obscuring the meaning of any communication

Basically if you publicly publish the key, just like all digital comm it is difficult to show the purpose is to obscure the meaning as long as you can articulate a different reason for the encryption similiar to all voice digital comm, in my non-lawyer opinion which is probably wrong

§97.309   RTTY and data emission codes.

(a) Where authorized by §§97.305(c) and 97.307(f) of the part, an amateur station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using the following specified digital codes:

(1) The 5-unit, start-stop, International Telegraph Alphabet No. 2, code defined in ITU-T Recommendation F.1, Division C (commonly known as “Baudot”).

(2) The 7-unit code specified in ITU-R Recommendations M.476-5 and M.625-3 (commonly known as “AMTOR”).

(3) The 7-unit, International Alphabet No. 5, code defined in IT--T Recommendation T.50 (commonly known as “ASCII”).

(4) An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a digital code specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, such as CLOVER, G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose of facilitating communications.

(b) Where authorized by §§97.305(c) and 97.307(f), a station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using an unspecified digital code, except to a station in a country with which the United States does not have an agreement permitting the code to be used. RTTY and data emissions using unspecified digital codes must not be transmitted for the purpose of obscuring the meaning of any communication. When deemed necessary by a Regional Director to assure compliance with the FCC Rules, a station must:

(1) Cease the transmission using the unspecified digital code;

(2) Restrict transmissions of any digital code to the extent instructed;

(3) Maintain a record, convertible to the original information, of all digital communications transmitted.

[54 FR 25857, June 20, 1989, as amended at 54 FR 39537, Sept. 27, 1989; 56 FR 56172, Nov. 1, 1991; 60 FR 55486, Nov. 1, 1995; 71 FR 25982, May 3, 2006; 71 FR 66465, Nov. 15, 2006; 80 FR 53753, Sept. 8, 2015]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/Data%20Encryption%20is%20Legal.pdf

Edit: And Mach is correct. Published keys should be good to go. To comply with the spirit as well as the letter, you could have a CW or voice transmission in the clear with a link to the keys and documentation which would allow for development and experimentation in the open on ham frequencies.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I am trying to read between the lines here;

Should I do a firmware update on my TYT-390 or does the new model have a hardware addition that is necessary?

I have used encryption on the TYT-390 for business band but the other radios were also TYT-380/390s.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't quite tell so far.

Basically, my MD-UV390G accepted the programming for the AES256, but the encryption failed in the end and the transmission was in the clear. I ordered a "Plus" model to take a closer look at.

TYT has not published an updated firmware on their page so if it is just a firmware thing, I can't access the firmware at this time to test.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't quite tell so far.

Basically, my MD-UV390G accepted the programming for the AES256, but the encryption failed in the end and the transmission was in the clear. I ordered a "Plus" model to take a closer look at.

TYT has not published an updated firmware on their page so if it is just a firmware thing, I can't access the firmware at this time to test.
View Quote

Probably a dumb question, but did you use a valid hex key?

Eta; mine dont have "universal" as an option. I only use enhanced.

Edit2; i forgot I am also using EditCP to program these radios and not the TYT CPS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My older 390 with FW ver. 18.011 will accept a codeplug with a universal key but it comes through in the clear.

I may experiment with some custom fw from the opengd77 forum.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried to setup a test, but my windows laptop is being a real pain right now.

Damn you windows USB drivers.

Eta; OK. Got my TYT-2017 programmed for a digital channel with no encryption and the TYT-390 with the new AES256.

The 390 does not transmit in the clear.

Did you click the "write privacy" button after you entered your hex keys? That seemed to write something to my radio before a wrote the whole code plug over.

* More testing is needed, and I think maybe the firmware is not cooperating fully. When I go back to read the radio things do seem to be messed up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

just like HF digital modes and VHF / UHF digital comm  and HF digital comm, I think if you publicly publish the encryption key it is probably legal.

To my knowledge the rule does say no encryption, it says comm must be in the clear unless the means to decode is published.

ETA:

RTTY and data emissions using unspecified digital codes must not be transmitted for the purpose of obscuring the meaning of any communication

Basically if you publicly publish the key, just like all digital comm it is difficult to show the purpose is to obscure the meaning as long as you can articulate a different reason for the encryption similiar to all voice digital comm, in my non-lawyer opinion which is probably wrong

(a) Where authorized by §§97.305(c) and 97.307(f) of the part, an amateur station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using the following specified digital codes:

(1) The 5-unit, start-stop, International Telegraph Alphabet No. 2, code defined in ITU-T Recommendation F.1, Division C (commonly known as “Baudot”).

(2) The 7-unit code specified in ITU-R Recommendations M.476-5 and M.625-3 (commonly known as “AMTOR”).

(3) The 7-unit, International Alphabet No. 5, code defined in IT--T Recommendation T.50 (commonly known as “ASCII”).

(4) An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a digital code specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, such as CLOVER, G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose of facilitating communications.

(b) Where authorized by §§97.305(c) and 97.307(f), a station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using an unspecified digital code, except to a station in a country with which the United States does not have an agreement permitting the code to be used. RTTY and data emissions using unspecified digital codes must not be transmitted for the purpose of obscuring the meaning of any communication. When deemed necessary by a Regional Director to assure compliance with the FCC Rules, a station must:

(3) Maintain a record, convertible to the original information, of all digital communications transmitted.

[54 FR 25857, June 20, 1989, as amended at 54 FR 39537, Sept. 27, 1989; 56 FR 56172, Nov. 1, 1991; 60 FR 55486, Nov. 1, 1995; 71 FR 25982, May 3, 2006; 71 FR 66465, Nov. 15, 2006; 80 FR 53753, Sept. 8, 2015]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

Quoted:

https://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/Data%20Encryption%20is%20Legal.pdf

Edit: And Mach is correct. Published keys should be good to go. To comply with the spirit as well as the letter, you could have a CW or voice transmission in the clear with a link to the keys and documentation which would allow for development and experimentation in the open on ham frequencies.

Fair enough, I'm good with that.  It's been decades since I read the actual rule and even with a few minutes searching I couldn't turn it up (thanks for finding it Mach).  I should probably read through the rules more than once every 25 years or so but since I got my Extra in 1993 there hasn't been any reason to do so

Thanks for the correction guys.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I tried to setup a test, but my windows laptop is being a real pain right now.

Damn you windows USB drivers.

Eta; OK. Got my TYT-2017 programmed for a digital channel with no encryption and the TYT-390 with the new AES256.

The 390 does not transmit in the clear.

Did you click the "write privacy" button after you entered your hex keys? That seemed to write something to my radio before a wrote the whole code plug over.

* More testing is needed, and I think maybe the firmware is not cooperating fully. When I go back to read the radio things do seem to be messed up.
View Quote

I tested it with anther MD UV 390. I wrote the key using the write privacy button and everything. When I turned encryption off on one radio while the other was using the universal AES256 programming they both still talked to one another.  I should have more concrete information when the MD UV 390 "Plus" arrives.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Try a few text messages while you are at it.  

Does TYT support 3 modes of text like Anytone:  Motorola, Hytera, DMR Std ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d buy an APX-8000 in a heartbeat if it did DMR as well as analog/P25 phase 1+2.
Eventually it’ll be done, but probably not by Big /\/\.

The Viking does look promising.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does the 256 work on both analog and digital?
View Quote
It can't.  AES256 work on bytes. So you have to convert the voice to bytes before you can encrypt.  Which is by definition digital.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Scroll down to the  at-d280 single band it’s the same radio with different firmware also boasting aes-256 from anytone hoping the usb-c battery comes out soon too.

New anytone radios
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]
If you know someone with an anytone 878 couldn’t you use the same encryption keys & see if they can talk to eachother then you would know it’s really aes-256
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Viking VP8000 is currently analogue, P25, NXDN, and is planned to do DMR later this year/next year through a software update.

But like all high-end Viking/EFJ radios...gonna be a pretty penny. I'd expect north of 2k for one.
View Quote

DMR Tier 2 for the VP8000 was released about a month ago. Tier 3 trunking is on the roadmap, NXDN is a maybe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Any update?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#26]
So far I have not been able to get the "Non Plus" radio to take the AES256 keys. They radios look IDENTICAL execept a "Plus" sticker has been added to the back. I have plans to open the radios up and examine the hardware but I have not had the time. The "Plus" radio will take the ARC4, AES128 and AES 256 keys. I cannot get TYT to send out the firmware for the "Plus" so I am unable to flash it to the older radio to see if that enables the "universal" encryption (ARC4/AES128/AES256). Maybe with time? As far as AES 256 working with other radios, I have 2nd hand info from another purchaser of the Plus radio that he got the AES256 to work with other, non TYT radios running AES256....so it looks like we have some cross compatibility at least.

I am currently trying to get the TYT "ARC4" to work with Vertex Standard Enhanced Privacy, which I think is RC4/ARC4.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So far I have not been able to get the "Non Plus" radio to take the AES256 keys. They radios look IDENTICAL execept a "Plus" sticker has been added to the back. I have plans to open the radios up and examine the hardware but I have not had the time. The "Plus" radio will take the ARC4, AES128 and AES 256 keys. I cannot get TYT to send out the firmware for the "Plus" so I am unable to flash it to the older radio to see if that enables the "universal" encryption (ARC4/AES128/AES256). Maybe with time? As far as AES 256 working with other radios, I have 2nd hand info from another purchaser of the Plus radio that he got the AES256 to work with other, non TYT radios running AES256....so it looks like we have some cross compatibility at least.

I am currently trying to get the TYT "ARC4" to work with Vertex Standard Enhanced Privacy, which I think is RC4/ARC4.
View Quote

Did he say what the other radio was?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Radiodity AT-10G, which looks an awful lot line an Anytone 878.  

As far as the ARC4, I cannot get it working with Vertex Standard Enhanced Privacy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Radiodity AT-10G, which looks an awful lot line an Anytone 878.  

As far as the ARC4, I cannot get it working with Vertex Standard Enhanced Privacy.
View Quote

Yeah that’s the same radio with different software
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Guy on another forum confirmed the TYT MD-UV390 plus & anytone 878 work with aes-256 together
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone determined if it's just a firmware update, or if there are any hardware difference between the plus and non plus models?
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Has anyone determined if it's just a firmware update, or if there are any hardware difference between the plus and non plus models?
View Quote

@UrsaMinor303
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone know what is the cheapest ARC4 Hts on the market?  

someone listed the Antone 2023 product list above, cant find a number of those radios even being sold.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

someone listed the Antone 2023 product list above, cant find a number of those radios even being sold.
View Quote

anytone won’t give dates but did say that the new models will be released one at a time & not all at once. The product .pdf pamphlet was a leak
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think Cotre wins the cheapest.  $16-20

I am not certain exactly what encryption is used.   They offer options for RC4 and AES256 but the CPS entered keys are too short.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think Cotre wins the cheapest.  $16-20

I am not certain exactly what encryption is used.   They offer options for RC4 and AES256 but the CPS entered keys are too short.
View Quote

That’s a pretty small radio. Never seen one of them before.

I have a baofeng 1701 and it has basic and enhanced neither of which work with rc4 or aes.

I have gotten 878 aes to work with other Motorola units.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#38]
So I still cannot get the RC4 to work with my Vertex Radios for some reason.

I did pick up a second MD-UV390 Plus model. The AES256 works between the two of them just fine. I also noted the model I got this month came with a larger battery, 2800 mah,which also has a built in USB C charge port.

There are three batteries I know of for this radio. The 2200 mah, the 3800 mah and now the 2800mah w/ USB C.

Seems TYT is making small improvements here and there...no idea what is going on with the RC4 tho.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Will the aes work with other radios?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So I still cannot get the RC4 to work with my Vertex Radios for some reason.

I did pick up a second MD-UV390 Plus model. The AES256 works between the two of them just fine. I also noted the model I got this month came with a larger battery, 2800 mah,which also has a built in USB C charge port.

There are three batteries I know of for this radio. The 2200 mah, the 3800 mah and now the 2800mah w/ USB C.

Seems TYT is making small improvements here and there...no idea what is going on with the RC4 tho.
View Quote

Why are you trying to make Arc4 work? It's very old and very easily cracked. If you have AES working, use that instead.

Also encryption working between radios is dependent upon what standard they're built to. Radios that are built to be MOTOTRBO compliant tend to work with each other over encryption. Outside of that it's a crapshoot unless you're using a standardized mode like P25.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:27:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why are you trying to make Arc4 work? It's very old and very easily cracked. If you have AES working, use that instead.

Also encryption working between radios is dependent upon what standard they're built to. Radios that are built to be MOTOTRBO compliant tend to work with each other over encryption. Outside of that it's a crapshoot unless you're using a standardized mode like P25.
View Quote

Anytone 878
Anytone 578
Btech 6x2
Radiodity AT-10G
TYT md-390plus
Maxon MDP-6000
Hytera All the HP series radios
Any Motorola DMR radio that supports aes-256

^ All the DMR aes-256 radios that are interoperable that I know of.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why are you trying to make Arc4 work? It's very old and very easily cracked. If you have AES working, use that
View Quote

I’ve seen this said before but have yet to see anyone crack RC4 transmission on YT.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#43]
It would appear that the TYT MD uv390 plus has enabled Text Message encryption in AES256 mode.  
I know this was missing in the Anytone578 and 6x2.

Also was able to verify the Text Messages can be decrypted on the hotspot using standard software and the radio key.
They are using the mode AES/ECB/NoPadding on each data block.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’ve seen this said before but have yet to see anyone crack RC4 transmission on YT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just because you haven't seen it on Youtube doesn't mean it can't be done. From my (admittedly smaller) understanding of cryptography, this is a KSA which means that the 4-character (!!) key is put into a FPGA and generates pseudorandom arrays, which are then XOR'd over the plaintext material. Since this is a 4-bit key, accepting values from 0-F, that means there's up to 1820 combinations of keys. At that point it becomes trivial to bruteforce it.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-540-89754-5_4
Also all of this is assumed without knowing what implementation of RC4 they're using. There's a reason it's being ditched.

Quoted:
Wow. I have to wonder if the American Pioneer Corps (APC) had anything to do with prompting the addition of AES256 to the TYT. We had been in contact with them two years ago and offered to adopt their radio as standard nationwide for APC, but wanted AES256 encryption because we operate encrypted with a business band license.
Good radios for the price, glad to see them moving forward!

Probably not as much as you think. It's probably just a push to MOTOTRBO standard, which uses AES crypto.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It would appear that the TYT MD uv390 plus has enabled Text Message encryption in AES256 mode.  
I know this was missing in the Anytone578 and 6x2.

Also was able to verify the Text Messages can be decrypted on the hotspot using standard software and the radio key.
They are using the mode AES/ECB/NoPadding on each data block.

View Quote

Can you upload a video of this are you sure it’s being encrypted?
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Can you upload a video of this are you sure it's being encrypted?
View Quote
A video would be added overhead and would not help much.  I am running custom code from the serial port of the modem.  It spits out a lot of bits to the terminal, and a text message in json.  It is part of a library to send and receive DMR texts from the pi.  This would allow things like opening/closing my garage door with my dmr radio from 5 miles away using a pi/hotspot, or receiving a text while mowing the lawn whenever the HF sdr hears my callsign on a digital channel.  

I am quite sure the tyt 390+ texts are encrypted, since I could get regular texts only until I added the decrypt functions.  My 6x2 and at578 can only send/receive plain texts, and the tyt 390+ does send encrypted texts when enabled.  If you want to verify my work, just send me a pcap of your 390+ sending an encrypted text and the key used and I could send you the result after each stage of de-interleave, FEC, IPoverDMR fragment reassembly, and decryption.  Remember to spoof your personal radio Id, MMDVMHost has a check for radio ids that are not in the HAM range.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow. I have to wonder if the American Pioneer Corps (APC) had anything to do with prompting the addition of AES256 to the TYT. We had been in contact with them two years ago and offered to adopt their radio as standard nationwide for APC, but wanted AES256 encryption because we operate encrypted with a business band license.

Good radios for the price, glad to see them moving forward!
View Quote

Well good on you if it did.  This is a very useful development for an already useful radio!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just because you haven't seen it on Youtube doesn't mean it can't be done. From my (admittedly smaller) understanding of cryptography, this is a KSA which means that the 4-character (!!) key is put into a FPGA and generates pseudorandom arrays, which are then XOR'd over the plaintext material. Since this is a 4-bit key, accepting values from 0-F, that means there's up to 1820 combinations of keys. At that point it becomes trivial to bruteforce it.
Also all of this is assumed without knowing what implementation of RC4 they're using. There's a reason it's being ditched.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RC4 is 40 bits or 128 bits, not 4 characters.  As implemented by Motorola based on my recollection it's generally 40 bits.  It also doesn't work the way you've described it.  

There are a number of published attacks, it shouldn't be too hard to build a device to crack it at a 40 bit key length.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you trying to make Arc4 work? It's very old and very easily cracked. If you have AES working, use that

I don't know of any cryptographers who post their work to YouTube.  There are numerous papers on how to crack RC4, it's generally considered a completely broken system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top