Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2020 11:03:03 AM EDT
I have two trail cams, Moultrie W-35i, that I bought from Midway for about $40 each. They work alright, and pics aren't anything special, but they'd be good enough if the FOV wasn't so narrow. It's like looking through a 3x scope.

Here's the area I want to watch;
Attachment Attached File

The cam is about ten feet to the right of where I was at this moment, and the FOV of the cam from this spot would be about like this;
Attachment Attached File

Are there any cams that have a wider FOV, but aren't to too expensive?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can't move the camera backwards for more FOV, what about moving it higher to 10-12 feet off the ground and pointing down?  Might need to rig an L-bracket or V-bracket type of holder to point the camera downward.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That may be helpful, if there's enough of an opening through the tree limbs, but I couldn't/shouldn't do it. I'm disabled, and can only stand up with the help of a crutch. I can gain a little height, by climbing up in the bed of my Rzr, but I've gotten worse and that's a pretty sketchy move for me. Alone in the woods would be even worse, since it might be the next day before anyone noticed I wasn't home.

I appreciate the effort though.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to someone on a deer hunting forum, I learned about a web site that reviews cams and gave more info than I've found anywhere else.

https://www.trailcampro.com/pages/trail-camera-detection-field-of-view-angle

The wider view cams have it right in their name, 120/150/180 for how many degrees wide the pics are. Moultrie had some models that are now discontinued, but there are off brands on Ebay.

I'm looking at this one right now;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOCOENA-20MP-1080P-Waterproof-Hunting-Scouting-Cam-Night-Vision-80ft-120/373262857191?hash=item56e83333e7:g:ejEAAOSw~7Fff-qo

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Old cam;

New cam, mounted on a tree about three feet left right of where the one above was mounted;

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
A little update:

Here's a few recent pics from the new cam;

I really like the pics from this cam. Here's one from when I was pulling up to swap cards;

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top