Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 5:27:02 PM EDT
Allrighty guys, i bought my first modern compound bow.

It's a 2010 model diamond rock 2.0.  Package from Academy.

I'm as leery as you guys about purchasing something from a big box store, however, the Academy in Tomball, TX actually has an in-house Archery "shop" and the fella there was very knowledgeable and helped me out.

Additionally, i got 20% by purchasing the display model.  

This is very close to the package Academy had.  the sites are a touch different and no stabilizer, and much cheaper.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/special-3.htm

I also purchased a dozen arrows, cut to appropriate length, and a very nice Tru-Fire release.

And the pro tuned it to fit me, my draw length, release, etc.

I had a youth bow when i was a lad, and i remember doing decently with it.  As i grew i started using my Dad's compound bow, no idea what model but it's gotta be from the late 80's.

After shooting today, i was amazed!  I basically picked it up, and started getting consistent 6" groups at 35 yards.  Focusing on hold consistency, sight picture, and follow through.

So...  All that said, and doing things in the absolute wrong order, what is the opinion of the Diamond series bows?

If you could change anything about the package i linked above, what would it be?

What distances do you set your pins at?

What is "good" accuracy?  What is exceptional accuracy?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Just so I'm clear...  Are you saying you DIDN'T shoot bow after bow after bow do come up with the one that chose you?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just so I'm clear...  Are you saying you DIDN'T shoot bow after bow after bow do come up with the one that chose you?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

I tried a half dozen or so, of various brands.  My price limit for everything was $675.

This bow was actually out of my price range.  The first shot literally put a grin on my face and i thought "oh well, budgets are meant to be broken."

Then they couldn't find one in the box, and so sold me the demo at a discount.

If you could change anything about the package above, (sites, rest, whatever) what would it be?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say you did it right enough for the bow to be putting a smile on your face.
Does it draw smoothly?

You should be happy with the Diamond products.  I have been shooting their Rapture model.  Zero complaints.  Draws smooth, even at 66lbs, and has a solid wall.

I know a lot of guys leave it on, but I'm partial to removing the quiver before I shoot.  That's the first thing I do after getting into the stand.
Is that quiver quickly removable?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd say you did it right enough for the bow to be putting a smile on your face.
Does it draw smoothly?

You should be happy with the Diamond products.  I have been shooting their Rapture model.  Zero complaints.  Draws smooth, even at 66lbs, and has a solid wall.

I know a lot of guys leave it on, but I'm partial to removing the quiver before I shoot.  That's the first thing I do after getting into the stand.
Is that quiver quickly removable?

Yep, draws very smooth.  Of course, i haven't shot any of the premium bows so i don't have much to compare it to.

The quiver i have is slightly different and removes with a sort of twist and lift.  So far i've been removing it when i shoot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your link doesn't help much as far as how it is really set up...can you share the details?

Just my opinion, but I would ditch the Whisker Biscuit for a quality fall-away rest.

A good set of sites is worth the money.

And I like stabilizers.

Here are the parts:

Peep is more or less like this

http://www.basspro.com/ProView-Peep-Bow-Sight/product/54299/-1031018

I can't find the exact sight, but it's very close to this:

http://www.basspro.com/TruGlo%C2%AE-BriteSite-Xtreme-Bow-Sights/product/62511/-1152714

And the rest:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/products/arrow_rests/hostage.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Like I said, the setup you have is definitely capable of killing many, many critters.  Just keep in mind that when you buy a "package" you are usually going to have fairly inexpensive accessories on it.  Practice, practice, practice, and good luck this season

Thanks!

What is your own personal definition of "good" accuracy?  I really have no frame of reference for accuracy with a bow.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm enjoying the heck outta my bow.  I've stopped shooting at the same dot at 15 yards, breaking too many arrows.

I hit the knock and cracked the carbon on one.  I pulled the knock and left the arrow in the target, split it on the very next shot.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't take long with some practice time does it?  

I think, from a financial standpoint, ready to practice the one-arrow-one-dot rule at closer ranges.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#14]
One bit of advice I got that was really good was don't worry about upgrading anything for a while.  Unless its the sight because it did not come with a bubble level.  Other then that have fun and keep shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top