Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 11:24:29 AM EDT
Here I am in central KS, it's the first weekend of rifle season, and it's 57degrees with driving rain and a 35mph wind.  Reports are that the deer are hunkered down and not moving.  I have a wonderful Belgian-made Browning BAR in .243 to use and nothing to shoot at.

To top it off, I've had a sinus infection and feel like crap, and we have a home inspection tomorrow (on a Sunday of all days!) for the guy who bought our rental, so now I'm busy around the house getting ready for it.  I have a total of 4 days to hunt this season and two of them are going to be taken up with this home stuff, and one will be spent at a funeral of a coworker (fought colon cancer for 4yrs).  My last available day is supposed to be in the 60s and very windy.

AAARRRRRGGGHHHH!

Perhaps you all can comfort me by posting pics of the wonderful deer that you manage to shoot.

(maybe the antlerless season in January will be better...)
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Northern Ohio is getting shit weather too.  Either rain or 45 degree crap.  The middle of the week was ok, but everyone was either at work or school.  All the deer are hunkered for sure.  I jumped 7 today, in 3 dif places.  I was pushing for my dad and cousin (both need to fill tags).  I got a button on Tuesday morn.  My cousin got a button buck in the middle of the afternoon today.  I kicked him up in the middle of a bare woods.  It tried getting out, but got hung up on the fence.  Damn thing about ripped his leg off trying to get away.  It was worn down to the bone.  That deer had some bad luck, he looked like a car hit him in the spring.  There was a patch of fur missing on this shoulder, with scar tissue showing.  He will be good food, where there is no damage.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
It was damn warm here this year too.  In the 30's and 40's....and windy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen plenty of does, but not a single buck.
I haven't fired a single shot, not even at the porcupine that invaded my cabin.
Most of the weather has been 25F, but this morning was a whole 10F and I froze.
I like the cold weather too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have seen plenty of does, but not a single buck.
I haven't fired a single shot, not even at the porcupine that invaded my cabin.
Most of the weather has been 25F, but this morning was a whole 10F and I froze.
I like the cold weather too.

Well, except for the wind, it was much better weather today -- mid-30s and partly cloudy.  And what did I do?  Get to stick around the house for the home inspection.  The guy didn't leave until after 4:30!  No time to get to my hunting spot for the last bit of light.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Only 4 days to hunt ? how long is the season there?

What about blackpowder season.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
We had freezing rain and snow lastnight.  By moring it was all gone.  It got up to about 50 this afternoon, Ohio has crazy weather.  My season got better we jumped a massive buck, I only saw the back end.  I tooked like a freaking little cow.  My cousin took two shots from 65 while it was running but no hits.  I think I know where I am bow hunting the rest of the season.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Pa. was lousy too. Warm and rainy, some wind.

It's sleeting out now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Could Be Worse

Quit yer belly achin'.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#9]
This season isn't going so good for me either. Saw four does on opening day and shit since, been out on 4 1/2 days since 11/16. My boss had a meltdown that I used a vacation day on Friday to go out. I told him this morning that it is my time to do with it what I want, and if I don't use it by month's end I lose it, what's the problem? Old time liberal that's what the problem is.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I am fighting these same conditions in central KS,this weekend was terrible.I saw nothing on Saturday but took a nice fat doe Sunday morning.As I was field dressing her I saw a nice 10 point wander across the corn field I shot the doe in,but it would have been a longer shot than I wanted to take...Maybe I can get the bastard this weekend
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Only 4 days to hunt ? how long is the season there?

Rifle season is 11/28 to 12/9.  However, I have to save my PTO at work for when our baby is born in January, so my hunting time is limited to my days off.  My days off ended up being consumed with other things this weekend that I had no control over.  I'm on call at the hospital next weekend, so that's out.

What about blackpowder season.

I don't own any blackpowder equipment; besides, most of the deer I've seen at my hunting spot end up being 200+yds away.  I don't think I would want to try that with blackpowder.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Could Be Worse

Quit yer belly achin'.  

Yeah, but you got some deer!

I'm glad you ended up OK.  It'd be a real **@%# to beat cancer and then bite it on frozen water.

Speaking of your cancer:  I like your attitude about it.  Today I went to the funeral of a coworker who fought Stage IV colon cancer for 4 years before finally succumbing to mets to the liver, lymph system, spleen and spine.  She never lost her will to live, her spirit, or her attitude.  She was an inspiration to see her fight cancer so hard and never complain about the pain, nausea, etc., always caring for others (she was a nurse).  Keep up the good fight!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am fighting these same conditions in central KS,this weekend was terrible.I saw nothing on Saturday but took a nice fat doe Sunday morning.As I was field dressing her I saw a nice 10 point wander across the corn field I shot the doe in,but it would have been a longer shot than I wanted to take...Maybe I can get the bastard this weekend

Where in central KS are you?  I live in Hutchinson and was going to hunt on a coworker's farm near Partridge.

Of course, today she tells me that her neighbor to the south saw a mountain lion a while ago and the coyotes are increasing on her farm, and the bobcat around her place has been stalking animals.  And that's where I am supposed to find a deer to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in Haysville but I am hunting on a friends property north of Pratt
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I live in Haysville but I am hunting on a friends property north of Pratt

We were probably all of 40 minutes apart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top