Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 3:15:28 PM EDT
I'm brand new to all this and I am getting a little overwhelmed by how much I need to do. I am fairly young and my military experience was in the navy(not exactly training for survival). I am afraid I will not be able to make the preperations and gain all the knowledge necessary to provide for my family before it is too late.

One idea I had was to assemble a team of individuals and divide the responsibilities. Getting to my question,what would be a good configuration for a survival unit; number of people and logical division of tasks? Along the lines of:
6 people
Food
Medical
Arms
Agriculture
Food prep
communications.

I am thinking EOTWAWKI situation. Does anyone else have a group of people set up?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about this kind of thing for a while too.  I imagine that a few people could multi task, but few people could do everything and do them well in my opinion.  The way i see it, to maintain proficiency takes not a small bit of intrest.  Call it a hobby if you want.  By taking the time to get good at Agriculture (SHTF style agri, I imagine even modern farmers would be hard pressed when the SHTF and they had to produce food) you may not be able to spend the time with medical training (something like agri that eats up alot of time just to be proficient).  Sure some folks with military training that are currently paramedics that live on a farm may respond and say they have it all covered, but my guess is that most folks won't.  

My group of people includes one Nurse Anestesia provider, one general surgeon, 6 nurses and  2 surgical techs.  We got medical covered in spades.  Most of the guys are gun types, and my brother and I are into martial arts, so arms are covered too.  We even have a lady that has a couple of horses.  As for different agri, one of the wives is  into gardening, and my family is trying to get into it to, but where we lack is food prep and communications.  A few of us have been around canning, but none have done it ourselves, and no one is into comms.  We are either going to have to expand our skill set, or find more friends.  

Jim

Edited thanks to public school
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I cant remember which book it was but Don Pauls series on survival has some information on this subject.He also talks about how to structure an A team.

Moose
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I think this is covered generally in Patriots.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Well first of all welcome to the site.Second, read "Light's Out" Halffast has very good writing skills and the book has docters,martial arts,marksmanship, gardening,survival stuff al well covered.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the way you're thinking.  So far the only specialized duties in my circle is a friend that is a ridiculously good shot with a bolt gun at long range is our designated hunter/defensive sniper.  I am getting a good base of knowledge from my mother on growing veggies and what plants grow wild or can be grown in this area for medical purposes.  We kid her a lot about being part witch doctor.
I definately think it's a plan worth pursuing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Well my Group Consist of Myself, Wife and 2 sons.  Im proficient in Firearms am taking EMT,  Also a HAM operator and a profficent gardener, welder and craftsman and Gunsmith.  My wife Can sew also garden and is very good with numbers (calculates our preps in her head. lol)  My Best friend is retired mil, Very firearms proficient, also gardens, can drive anything and build anything and hunts with me.  Were both trappers.  Were buggin in at my house.  Working up to the 2 year mark for food and water for the 5 of us.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Stubs,
looks like you're in my neck of the woods.. guess I found my team, j/k. I full intend on getting a grasp on nearly everything. I just don't have the necessary life experience yet and some of this stuff you just can't learn by reading. With BHO up for election the EOTWAWKI could be closer than I would hope.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
For me and mine, the "policy" is for everyone to be proficient at the basics to what we call the 60% level.  Think of that as basic training- everyone has to know the basic 60% of first aid, navigation, armed and unarmed self defense, cooking, hygiene, etc.  Then, folks can specialize above that in the areas that are their own fields of expertise.  If you have a doc or dentist in your group, for example, then they are the obvious choice for medical training and supplies above the basic level.  

I am very opposed to pure specialization- the individuals are left vulnerable should their be any gaps or group problems.  By a standard baseline, you can cover everyone reasonably well and then get some serious payback to the training/supplies of certain folks in certain areas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#10]
one thing I have considerd is knowing people who have the skills I do not and my family doesn't have.I am of the opinion that in a shtf situation they might be happy to see me.M
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome!

Back when I used to do all sorts of crazy climbing and caving stuff I used to remind my friends to watch out for me cause I was the only EMT and I knew verticle rescue.  It was a joke, but kinda true!

The point is everyone needs some decent cross training.  You can have people that specialize, but they all need to have an idea how to do each others job.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
As long as they have something to bring to the table thats invaluable
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Stubs, CoJo--
Glad to see you folks are in this neck of the woods

WileE
Top Top