Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/26/2009 10:46:00 AM EDT
has anybody seen the road yet?
it has not opened in our area yet

––Yes, this is the place to talk about "The Road" here in the SF.  ––Feral
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Going to see it tomorrow. The previews make it look like it follows the book pretty closely.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Closest theater around here showing is 120 miles away in limited release.  I have to wait until at least next week.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Not in theaters in southern Utah either
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]

What's the point of a limited release .. don't get the point of that other than to annoy people.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Some times i think all the good movies are limited releases.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some times i think all the good movies are limited releases.

Your avatar combined with your comment makes ma
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope the movie ends up being better than the book. While the book was okay, I despised the author's writing style
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope the movie ends up being better than the book. While the book was okay, I despised the author's writing style

It took me a while to get into it, but after about 15 pages I started to like the stream of consciousness style of writing. Fit in well with the bleakness of it all. The way the speech of the child and the man got confused reflected how the man had reverted to a primitive survival mode.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Movie is good.  It keeps your attention which I was worried about do to all the long parts in the book with them just making it day to day.

Couple things are changed for sake of story telling but they fit in nicely and are just substitutions for parts in the book.  A+ Movie.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I read the book over two years ago in one setting and have been very much looking forward to the movie ever since....I drove 1 1/2 hours wed. morning and saw the first showing.
I thought it was a great movie !, I loved the book too obviously and I think the movie while not exactly the same as the book followed it pretty closely and more important  kept the same feel of the book. Dark and depressing , people in a hopeless situaition that keep on going. It takes place in a dead post apocalyptic world but like Moby Dick isn't really a book/movie on how to kill a whale The Road isn't really about TEOTWAWKI or how to survive it but rather I think about how people deal with something horriable...some give up, some lose thier humanity and some take the higher road. Also a story about a man and his son and the things he tries to teach him ...and that he learns from his son.
....We never learn what event caused it to happen, probably deliberate since its not important to the story, but what is left a cold  dead world with fires and eathqukes. 10 years afterward  few people are left alive with roving bands of cannibals and others scavinging for food.
...I know some here will be disapointed but this TEOTWAWKI  world isn't populated by survivalists with ARs, chest rigs, 1000s of rounds of ammo getting into fire fights to protect thier bunker containing a ton of rice and stabilised gasoline. Instead it is desperate people in duct taped shoes looking for a can of food that if they have a gun they dont have much ammo for it. The one "survivalist" that is in the movie has an underground bunker in his yard yet he is found dead in his bed with the bunker still stocked....Personaly I think the movie paints a very relistic picture of how things would be in such an end of the world event

After the movie I did stop in the Bass pro shop and pick up another 1.000 rounds of .22 !...T.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I went and saw the Road on opening night.
I think its one of the best post event movies I have seen.
Its right up there with schindlers list as far as depressing movies I have ever seen.
I will admit I cried at the end as having a young son I could picture myself in the same situation.
Go see this movie, you wont be disapointed.

I will say this. In most encounters with the marauding cannible's in the movie had the man been with other "Good guys" and well armed they could have turned the table on the cannibles.
The thing I noticed was the marauders were in groups of 10 thru 30 or so but "Good Guy" groups encountered were 5 or less. I understand that this is well into the event, probably a decade or more and that most people are dead or wish they were. I think the movie is right there on showing marauders perfectly. Unlike the shoulder pad wearing, mohawk sporting marauders of mad max ,these maruders look like they come from all walks of life. Instand of tring to retain a strand of humanity, they have choosen anything goes as long as they survive. The house seen probably is the most powerfull in the movie along with the seen on the beach at the end.

Link Posted: 11/27/2009 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I read the book over two years ago in one setting and have been very much looking forward to the movie ever since....I drove 1 1/2 hours wed. morning and saw the first showing.
I thought it was a great movie !, I loved the book too obviously and I think the movie while not exactly the same as the book followed it pretty closely and more important  kept the same feel of the book. Dark and depressing , people in a hopeless situaition that keep on going. It takes place in a dead post apocalyptic world but like Moby Dick isn't really a book/movie on how to kill a whale The Road isn't really about TEOTWAWKI or how to survive it but rather I think about how people deal with something horriable...some give up, some lose thier humanity and some take the higher road. Also a story about a man and his son and the things he tries to teach him ...and that he learns from his son.
....We never learn what event caused it to happen, probably deliberate since its not important to the story, but what is left a cold  dead world with fires and eathqukes. 10 years afterward  few people are left alive with roving bands of cannibals and others scavinging for food.
...I know some here will be disapointed but this TEOTWAWKI  world isn't populated by survivalists with ARs, chest rigs, 1000s of rounds of ammo getting into fire fights to protect thier bunker containing a ton of rice and stabilised gasoline. Instead it is desperate people in duct taped shoes looking for a can of food that if they have a gun they dont have much ammo for it. The one "survivalist" that is in the movie has an underground bunker in his yard yet he is found dead in his bed with the bunker still stocked....Personaly I think the movie paints a very relistic picture of how things would be in such an end of the world event

After the movie I did stop in the Bass pro shop and pick up another 1.000 rounds of .22 !...T.

A silenced .22lr would have been perect for the man in this movie. He could have elimenated alot of threats with this weapon.

Link Posted: 11/27/2009 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its right up there with schindlers list as far as depressing movies I have ever seen.
I will admit I cried at the end as having a young son I could picture myself in the same situation.

I will say this. In most encounters with the marauding cannible's in the movie had the man been with other "Good guys" and well armed they could have turned the table on the cannibles.
The thing I noticed was the marauders were in groups of 10 thru 30 or so but "Good Guy" groups encountered were 5 or less. I understand that this is well into the event, probably a decade or more and that most people are dead or wish they were. I think the movie is right there on showing marauders perfectly. Unlike the shoulder pad wearing, mohawk sporting marauders of mad max ,these maruders look like they come from all walks of life. Instand of tring to retain a strand of humanity, they have choosen anything goes as long as they survive. The house seen probably is the most powerfull in the movie along with the seen on the beach at the end.

So the "Me" "What Can I Get" mentality of today will be an issue when the SHTF for sure!
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
So how do you find out where this is actually being shown at? No local theater is carrying it. Is there a listing of theaters that ARE carrying it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Very good movie.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I read the book in a very short time period, it was captivating.

I went to see the movie today and was dissapointed....too much added to fill the theatres...too choppy of a story now.

overall, I was dissapointed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So how do you find out where this is actually being shown at? No local theater is carrying it. Is there a listing of theaters that ARE carrying it?

this....i live in a large city and none of my theaters are showing it
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this....i live in a large city and none of my theaters are showing it

Here's a link on the making of the movie http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/theroad

and here's the link to the Cities that had the movie released today

Atlanta
Austin
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago
Dallas-Ft. Worth
Denver
Detroit (Detroit, REALLY? Should be a "See what your city will become" Movie)
Erie (And Erie, PA... Come on... WTF!!)
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
Minneapolis-St. Paul
New York
Oklahoma City
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
Palm Springs
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Portland, OR
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
San Antonio
San Diego
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
Santa Barbara-San Marcos-San Luis Obispo
Seattle-Tacoma
St. Louis
Tampa -St. Petersburg – Sarasota
Washington, DC

and it you look go to Fandango site, look up the movie and just type the city name, you'll see the theater.

Link Posted: 11/28/2009 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
LIMITED release WTH!
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the "Me" "What Can I Get" mentality of today will be an issue when the SHTF for sure!

When the laws of society fall away all you are left with are the laws of nature.

Link Posted: 11/28/2009 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Notdeaf- thanks for posting that.

3 1/2 hours to the nearest city showing it.... I think I'll wait for DVD.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#22]
woot the road is now listed as coming soon
at the theater 20 miles away
it doesn't say when, but it is coming
this is a small town so it is coming to a theater near you soon
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#23]
think ill wait also...2 hours from me...
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm very disappointed that is was not released around here. I was planning on seeing it today.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Well I went to see it yesterday. 175 mile drive to the nearest showing. Yes, I wanted to see it that bad. There ended up being an REI store in the shopping center, never been in one, so that was very cool too.

The movie was great. It stayed fairly close to the book. They did an awesome job of visually portraying what the scenery would possibly look like in that sort of situation, imo.

The bands of bad guys were also beleivable. With the way alot of our population acts right now, I could honestly see them acting the way the movie portrays bad guys living in said event. Raping, killing, and cannibalism.  

I could only find one person that would ride with me to see it. A coworker of about three months. This guy is "Mr. no feelings". He shows almost zero emotions for anything. He is not a prepper. I rode home with a different person, figuratively. Not in a "I need to start prepping" kind of way, He still cares nothing/little about that. But in a veiwing humanity kind of way. He has a seven year old son that lives with his ex-wife one state away. That part of the movie hit him like a ton of bricks. He was quiet and staring off into the distance.

I honestly think this movie could become the new TEOTWAWKI classic to have.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#26]
looking forward to this one
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Going to see in with my father-in-law in about an hour. He is not a prepper, but knows my wife and I are. I will post my opinion and his reaction when I get back.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
looking forward to this one

So was I.... But just like the movie 'Carriers' which was also limited release.... I'll just have to wait for it to be released on DVD.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Same question for me.

You just can't look it up either without knowing a zip code or city name, you just have to guess.

I also tried to e-mail my displeasure to MiraMax, Dimension Films, or to the Wenstiens but their web pages also do not allow for that either !
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Mmmm... Crickets.

Good movie. Not quite as emotionally engrossing as the book - the narrative is sparse, and whatever else you might think about the writing style, it does flow well emotionally - but it still plays with the allergies. Followed the book pretty closely. For those of you half a continent away from the nearest theater playing it, just wait - it will have a wider release soon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Whats keeping me away is that the guy who wrote it also did "No Country for Old Men" book was ok and the movie just sucked a lot of it does not even look like Terrell county.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got back from seeing it. It was a good movie, and it kept my interest for the entire time. While I prepare for when the SHTF, if I am ever faced with the situation that they dealing with in the movie, I will probably end it quickly. Without hope of a better tomorrow and the world constantly decaying, I would rather not be around.

This movie reminds me of what it would be like after a global nuclear war where both sides had a full exchange. No thanks, if there is no hope for a better tomorrow, I prefer to be at ground zero when the first bomb goes off.

ETA My FIL enjoyed it, and it was not what he thought it was going to be. He plans on starting to prep as soon as he gets his basement clean. He worries about the financial side of things. He is very successful, but lost a lot of money in the stock market. Still not poor by any standard, but still lost more than I have ever made.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Saw it today at a artsy theater downtown Dallas(Angelika).  

Good movie, played along close to the book.

Only distraction was the multitude of liberals packing the theater.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#35]
The wife and I saw the movie Saturday -We we,re very Happy with the way it turned out ––-
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Have not seen the movie, but I read the book in one sitting.  Damn book cost $800 in the additional preps I felt compelled to order the moment I put it down!  Don't know if I can afford to watch the movie, could break the bank.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#37]
oh I have a question having not read the book but having seen the movie.                   "              Warning Spoiler Alert.           "

Was the guy he killed with the flare the same guy he made strip naked and left to die?

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
oh I have a question having not read the book but having seen the movie.                   "              Warning Spoiler Alert.           "

Was the guy he –––––– –––– ––––- the same guy he made ––––- ––––- ––- –––– –– ––-?

No. They did have similar features, but it was two different actors.The guy he –––––– ––––- ––––- had about 20 years on the other guy. Plus a beard.

eta: And I'm being serious. A big thank you for going out of your way to avoid spoiling it for someone who hadn't seen it yet.

I want to bitch slap people who don't care enough to announce a "spoiler alert"

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#39]
yea i was on the front row,  i was alittle late getting there. was hard to tell from that vantage point.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
yea i was on the front row,  i was alittle late getting there. was hard to tell from that vantage point.

If the movie stuck to the storyline in the book then the answer to your question is a "NO".
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One lowly and maligned AK-47 and a deliberate man behind it would have wasted the group of cannibals with the old truck.

It is an excellent movie, I went to see it yesterday, I loved it actually...as much as you can love such a thing. Beautiful story.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the point of the book was that in year 7 or 8 post 'end of the world' EVERYONE would be scavenging.... everyone would have eaten all their supplies, and used up all their ammo in the pitched battles of the first couple of years.... everyone would be on the move, with only what you could haul....

So suppose you're decked out with your AR, with a 9mm strapped to your leg and a .45 in the holster and a Ruger .22 in the back pack.

After the first or 10th firefight your AR breaks a part or two, the 9 or 45 is out of ammo, the Ruger got lost in some mad dash for life.... and you're suddenly unarmed in the wilderness..... so you improvise and stumble on a .357 revolver with 4 rounds.

In year 8 post end of the world, there's so little to survive on, the bands of survivors get smaller and smaller....plague, famine, war... the riders have done their task well.... it's down to the 'good guys' and everyone else. All your tacti-cool stuff is gone. You're on your 4th pair of 'borrowed' shoes, in completely new clothes lifted from some trash bin.... you've got little if any original stuff. Do you give up or do you keep going?

If you were the only guardian of a boy....you no longer have the luxury of being able to willy nilly take on the forces of evil....now your maximum, your ONLY purpose of life is to keep HIM alive.... that changes everything. For get what you HAVE.... think about what YOU KNOW and what you are 'for'.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think the point of the book was that in year 7 or 8 post 'end of the world' EVERYONE would be scavenging.... everyone would have eaten all their supplies, and used up all their ammo in the pitched battles of the first couple of years.... everyone would be on the move, with only what you could haul....

So suppose you're decked out with your AR, with a 9mm strapped to your leg and a .45 in the holster and a Ruger .22 in the back pack.

After the first or 10th firefight your AR breaks a part or two, the 9 or 45 is out of ammo, the Ruger got lost in some mad dash for life.... and you're suddenly unarmed in the wilderness..... so you improvise and stumble on a .357 revolver with 4 rounds.

In year 8 post end of the world, there's so little to survive on, the bands of survivors get smaller and smaller....plague, famine, war... the riders have done their task well.... it's down to the 'good guys' and everyone else. All your tacti-cool stuff is gone. You're on your 4th pair of 'borrowed' shoes, in completely new clothes lifted from some trash bin.... you've got little if any original stuff. Do you give up or do you keep going?

If you were the only guardian of a boy....you no longer have the luxury of being able to willy nilly take on the forces of evil....now your maximum, your ONLY purpose of life is to keep HIM alive.... that changes everything. For get what you HAVE.... think about what YOU KNOW and what you are 'for'.

Excellent point.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not only is it an excellent post, it's a realistic post and everyone that has a brain should read it and take it to heart. Everyone has all of this stuff in their supplies. It's fairly hard to survive a tension pneumothorax or a simpler hemothorax without modern trauma care. You won't be running for miles on end to get away from the other people that gave you one of these injuries, that's for sure.

It's best to fight smart. As in the truck scene, a single deliberate man, if pressed, could have taken them out rather quickly. Honestly, away from forums and in the real world, had he had a Ruger 10/22 with an extended magazine full of Stingers...this would have probably suppressed the people enough to make good the escape...and whoever got hit would die within the next three days, etc.

Point being, the more strife you avoid, the longer you will survive. Not just from a standpoint of medical management of injuries and wounds, but from conserving your ammunition and arms.

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Read the book recently. The movie was released in the Detroit area, not in Detroit per say. The City of Detroit is Detroit, the Detroit area is civilization.

I thought the book very moving and somewhat uplifting at the end. The one thought I had is that 7 or 8 years after the disaster, civilization would have recovered sufficiently to support the survivors. People are pretty resourceful. If you figure that some of the smart ones are likely to have survived, some of them would have figured out a way to grow food inside, raise animals. Someone would have figured a way to get power and utilities up and running.  

The other thought I had was the even the most primitive peoples on the planet have a social structure with rules and limits. None practice cannibalism even in the worst of famines.  I just can't believe in a country founded on Judeo-Christian ethics and principles would collapse into such a state. Yes, there are lots and lots of bad people. More than likely the elements of society that are currently outside the societal limits will die quickly and the rest will kill each other off.  I am not saying it would be utopia, I just don't think it would be as bad as all the TEOTWAWKI books and movies portray.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got back from seeing it in Royal Oak (that would be an upscale city outside of Detroit, think: ritzy shops, hippy libs, gays, and lots of dance clubs for the eastern europeans) a half an hour ago. This was one of two I have seen in my life that profoundly moved me. Saving Private Ryan was the other, and it took 5 or 6 years before I allowed myself to see it again. Don't think I'm in a hurry to see this movie again either.

The Road was really well done. Unlike zombie horror type movies, it was obvious that great care was put into making the story, circumstances and characters were as believable as possible. There wasn't much in the way of a "fake" element in the movie that allows a person to detach for a few seconds and get a little mental break. It was a very depressing movie, the scary parts were scary, and some of the scenes I don't think I could have made any better/worse myself. It was a well done movie, and nobody said a word when it was over. Everyone just filtered out like they did in SPR.
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 2:38:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I believe your post sums it up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I thought the book very moving and somewhat uplifting at the end. The one thought I had is that 7 or 8 years after the disaster, civilization would have recovered sufficiently to support the survivors. People are pretty resourceful. If you figure that some of the smart ones are likely to have survived, some of them would have figured out a way to grow food inside, raise animals. Someone would have figured a way to get power and utilities up and running.  

The other thought I had was the even the most primitive peoples on the planet have a social structure with rules and limits. None practice cannibalism even in the worst of famines.  I just can't believe in a country founded on Judeo-Christian ethics and principles would collapse into such a state. Yes, there are lots and lots of bad people. More than likely the elements of society that are currently outside the societal limits will die quickly and the rest will kill each other off.  I am not saying it would be utopia, I just don't think it would be as bad as all the TEOTWAWKI books and movies portray.

Wishful thinking. The country might be founded on certain principles but what it practices is something else entirely.

Check this out, how long before this becomes the norm? It will take longer here...but you never know.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2218456.stm

The Jedi Religion, whodathunkit?

Link Posted: 11/30/2009 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Washington Post (puke-gag) writer Ann Hornady gave it ** 1/2.

I responded to her article's comments section yesterday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/25/AR2009112501106_Comments.html
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Maybe that was the point of the book in this one scenario.  Let's not apply this point to any of the thousands of scenarios that may be more likely.  As you've alluded to, this work is a commentary on humanity and of the relationship between the boy and the man.  The survivalist/preparation aspects aren't relevent to the story, and in fact, man's failure to prepare for or overcome this "event" in any manner is critical to set the work in motion as it was intended.  I rather think CM sneers in delight at the bombshelter guy.  Fuck CM.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top