Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2009 5:11:30 PM EDT
been until this past week that I have been able to really contribute to this site, but I have been a long time lurker enjoying all of the topics within the survival forums over the past couple of years.  I am wondering about the best way for my wife and family to protect themselves while around the neighborhood.  Here is a quick description of what happened to them last week.

We live in a large neighborhood of over 400 houses with lots ranging from 1/5 to 1 acre within a town, but our neighborhood is on its outskirts where cultivating and livestock farms along with state game lands surrounding.  Houses have been built in the immediate area over the past 12-15 years so development has been ongoing for a while.  The area is rapidly growing, and I realize that humans have encroached on the local animals' habitat.  While on a walk during mid morning last week, my wife and two young children came across a raccoon standing absolutely still in a person's front lawn about 25' from them.  First thing coming to mind is obviously rabies, which our area does have a high incidence rate of and multiple attacks on people from rabid foxes have occurred nearby over the past several years.  I do realize that seeing a raccoon during the day is not unusual (I saw one standing in the middle of the road about 1 mile from my house on the way to work about a year ago) and the thing was probably just as scared of them as they were of it, but animal control was called anyway.

My question is what's the best way to protect them and myself from something like this in the future?  With our location and local history of rabies I can see something like this happening again some day.  It's also probably more likely that they will come across a loose dog, of which there are pitts, rots, etc that are known to live in the area.  I think that's more of a possibility when the kids are in school and my wife is walking one or both of our dogs.  

To add to the animal risk, there have been some reported attempted abductions of younger people in the area so for the two legged threats I personally carry my SW 642.  This should take care of me personally with that threat, but it doesn't help my wife who won't even look at guns, or from animal attacks that may occur since discharging a firearm in the neighborhood isn't my first choice but would definitely be done if there was immanent risk of life or limb to me or mine.

What are your suggestions about this?  I work about 2 miles as the crow flies through the woods from my neighborhood and I have seen a guy out on a lunchtime walk carrying a golf club with no head, just a grip and a shaft.  I imagine that that would be pretty effective, but it would mean that one hand would be constantly encumbered.  What about something like Fox Labs 5.3?  I do realize the need for practice and the possibility of self dosing, but doing nothing or just running away probably won't be very effective either.

Sorry for the ramble, but this became important to me as it's a risk that can occur just outside of our doorstep.  I want to make sure that we are ready for something like this as well as something along the lines as TEOWAWKI.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
For backyard pests like coons and possums.....I use my son's airsoft gun since discharging a firearms would create a problem in the city limits......the airsoft gun sends them scampering everytime and packs a punch.  Animal Control can also set traps and capture / relocate these type of animals as well....especially if they pose a nuisance or threat.  

For your wife....I would only suggest not walking alone...have the dogs with her.....pepper spray is an option but training with it is impractical unless you have an open space with no one around to contaminate.......have you considered the TASER C2......My wife who by law is prohibited to carry firearms on her employer (State Govt) property carries one.   Otherwise she would have to leave her firearm in the car and walk through a parking deck unarmed.   The TASER was her option, we purchased it......I'm a TASER instructor and ran her through a tutorial.....bought an extra cartridge set up a cardboard target and had her actually walk through firing the TASER and withdrawing back to gain distance.  The C2 will incapcitate the attacker for 30 seconds per trigger pull from a distance of 15'.   It also works on touch contact so should an attacker simply ambush you ....you can touch to muscle mass and possibly sway the attack in your favor.  

Most women aren't willing to touch a firearm or for that matter kill someone.....if you dont' have the heart or instinct to kill.....don't bother buying a gun!  Most of these same women however brag of owning pepper spray or stun guns......

Otherwise a trekking pole with the pointed end can be swung or jabbed to fend off an attack.   I have alot of defensive tactics traiing but I would much rather square off with somebody with a ball bat or tree branch in my hand then barehanded.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Bear mace. A bigass can of bear mace will do the job for anything, well, smaller than a bear. If you get the chance to mace a rabid raccoon, please post vid to GD.
That is all.

Oh and hello to the survival forum from NYC. Been a lurker as well. Thank you for all the great info on here as it has really helped me to safeguard my family and loved ones.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasp spray.  The good ones will shoot 20 feeet, it causes temporary blindness & great pain.
Legal to carry & a lot less than pepper sprays.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
fuck yeah. That sounds horrible. Horribly great. +1 for macing some creep with wasp spray
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If rabies is a post-SHTF worry for you, you might want to consider the immunizations.  I've had them, and IIRC it was only 3 basic shots now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
fuck yeah. That sounds horrible. Horribly great. +1 for macing some creep with wasp spray

Think "Over-the-counter-nerve-agent."
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Brilliant. I would have never thought of that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasp spray is certainly interesting and something I may be able to get my wife to carry.  Any other recommendations on sprays?
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to sound all touchy feely but wasp spray might be construed as animal cruelty, it probably won't kill the animal outright and it might do damage that won't clear up on its own like pepper spray.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The animals we are referring to are either rabid possums/raccoons or criminals. No sympathy for either. Sorry.
Wasp Spray LMFAO!!!!! genius!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Do they have a compact wasp spray?
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wasp spray is certainly interesting and something I may be able to get my wife to carry.  Any other recommendations on sprays?

My wife learned that in a class taught by the local PD.  They said most Wasp-insect sprays are incapacitating to some extent.
They recomended Wasp or Hornet spray due to the range of the sprays, up to 30 feet with some brands.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not that I`ve seen.  The can size would be an issue on foot.  It could be stuck next to a seat in a car or truck where ir would be easily accessable.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I`ve seen.  The can size would be an issue on foot.  It could be stuck next to a seat in a car or truck where ir would be easily accessable.

as long as the sun doesn't S-plode it in the car.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#15]
The problem I have with "wasp spray" is the use of it by a person who is unwilling to train on the use of a better weapon.

What are their odds, really?

And what are the odds that some mishap will come from misuse or an accident?

I realize that these are the same arguments the anti's make about guns.
But, we can all agree that we have met somebody at some point in time who had a gun, and who we did not think was competent to possess it, let alone operate in a manner we would endorse.

No wasp spray for ninnies.

I wonder what is the civil liability for the "police departments" who train citizens to use wasp spray as a self-defense tool?
I mean, they are advocating use of a toxic and harmful substance in a manner which is expressly discouraged by the plain labeling on the package.
Once again, don't get your legal advice from cops.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Try a flame thrower, also works against Zombies, and handy if you go to GD
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, WEG, so do you have any suggestions?  Wasp spray, fire arms and pointed sticks are out of play.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Back when I worked outside in Telco we carried cans of "Wasp Stopper".

We actually had dog mace on our supply shelves, but the nod went to Wasp Stopper.
Shoots far,  20 maybe 25 feet.   And high volume.

Stops wasps, bees, dogs, cats and nasty people.  One of our guys was accosted while up a pole,  
some hoodlums told him he wasn't getting down unless he threw down his wallet and truck keys first.

He grabbed his full can of Wasp Stopper and lit them up!!
Climbed down the pole, and stepped on one of them with his lineman boots, right on the ankle,  
while they were on their hands and knees crying like little girls.

Wasp Stopper kicks ass.  Ask any phone man.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok, WEG, so do you have any suggestions?  Wasp spray, fire arms and pointed sticks are out of play.

For some folks, the only thing they are any good at in those sorts of situations is playing stupid.

And what is most amazing is that it seems to carry the day for the ones who have the most experience.

Who can argue with divine providence?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Wasp stopper? I would not have thought about that stuff having multiple uses. The local police supply stores won't sell me a large can of pepper spray saying that it is for LEO use only. Argueing that I will be spraying the same people with it didn't change their minds. Now I have plan "B' for the girlfriend.

Thanks,

RS
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Plan A:  one .45 caliber hole in forehead, repeat if necessary.
Plan B: Using  machete, hatchet, or shovel remove head  from offending party.
 Repeat plan A or B as necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top