Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2010 10:29:29 AM EDT
Got a new Northface bag for Christmas and I was wondering how to store it.   Can you store it fully compressed or should you store it uncompressed?  It comes with two storage bags so I'm guessing uncompressed.

ETA - Synthetic insulation - not down.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#1]
We hang ours in the closet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I had considered that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Hang it up.  You'll compress the stuffing if you don't.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Store uncompressed and use the compression sack when you pack.  When you get to your destination, unpack your bag and let it regain its loft as long as possible before going to bed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a huge cotton sack that came with my Marmot down bag. Its about 3 times the size of a pillow case. I storge it in there and then on a shelf. No problems for 10 years. The stuff sack getting it down to the size of just under a loaf of bread, cant be good for the loft to keep it like that.

J-
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#6]
another vote for hung or at least unrolled/uncompressed so that the fibers aren't crushed.  More so with a down bag.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got a new Northface bag for Christmas and I was wondering how to store it.   Can you store it fully compressed or should you store it uncompressed?  It comes with two storage bags so I'm guessing uncompressed.

did the bag not come with storage instructions?
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

did the bag not come with storage instructions?

Good point.  It might be on a sewn in tag.  There was not any printed materials that came in the box.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Home Depot has Plano trunks

I keep my MSS loosely stored in one of these along with some other gear. Not super rugged but functional. Make sure you check the lids. Lockable too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Every THF sleeping bag I have came with a big net storage bag
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
This is from REI's Caring for Your Sleeping Bag page.

I also store my thermarest uncompressed.

Storage
How you store your bag between trips affects its lifespan. When you arrive home from a trip, first air out the bag inside-out for a couple days to make sure it's dry. Then store in a large cotton storage sack—often included when you purchase a sleeping bag, but also available separately.

Do NOT store your bag compressed in its stuff sack as this will eventually suck the life out of the loft. Watertight storage bags are also a bad idea. Condensation can build up inside them and result in mildew. In short, allow your bag come to its full loft with plenty of cool, dry ventilation, and all will be good.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Even the synthetic filler will crush over time. Best to hang it in the big bag unless you are taking it camping.

Same for therma rest matresses, they should be stored unrolled unless you're using them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#13]
My down bag is in a big ass (breathable) cotton sack hanging in the closet of my mancave.  I occasionally have to slide it out of the way to get stuff out, but the bag stays fluffy and ready for action.

My synthetic (very warm weather, not much insulation) stays rolled up/stuffed.  I use it so much, though, it's not like it stays compressed for months at a time or anything.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
REI sells cotton storage sacks for sleeping bags.  They're pretty cheap, too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#15]

I store Thermarest sleeping pads and my synthetic sleeping bag under the bed all laid out.  

Haved gone 3 years without loss of loft.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I store Thermarest sleeping pads and my synthetic sleeping bag under the bed all laid out.  

Haved gone 3 years without loss of loft.

I store my thermarests rolled up compressed, Been doing that for 20+ years now. No problems. I know they say don't store them like that, but I don't see a difference.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I do store some sleeping bags for long periods of time compressed.   You just have to know what you are doing.   For example, every fall, as winter approaches, I take one of my cheap synthetic bags, stuff it, and throw one into each of three commonly used cars.   (Neither the hot rod or custom truck.)   The bags stay in the trunks until spring approaches.    These are cheap bags ($50 and less).  They will degrade and have to be replaced every 5 years or so.   They are only for an emergency, to save one's life.  I know what I am doing, (destroying the sleeping bag), and I accept it.   I retire the old bags to house duty or give them away.  

My good bags get better treatment.   I hang the expensive 800 fill bags ($250 to $400), and I lay the better synthetic bags out.   Some down bags out there run upward of $800.   Take care of your gear, and it will take care of you.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. Down or synthetic. Whatchya get? Their "Cat's Meow" is good bang for the buck..............

-JC
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I've left all of mine in their compressios sacks for a couple of years. 1 down the others synthetic. All good brands. Marmot, EMS, Sierra Designs, US Military, etc, I have never had trouble except for a 30 degree Kelty that had a corner hanging out. The random travelers that visit my garage occasionally decided to abscond with a small part of that exposed corner to have a good nights sleep. They sell them in the compression sacks, so you can store them that way. Down mainly needs aired in humid climates.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#20]
We bought a few special-made sleeping bag storage bags –– they're like great big pillow cases, made of linen or cotton or something breathable. We put each sleeping bag in it's own storage bag and toss the stuff sack in the same bag to keep them together. We then place one or two of the now loosely stowed sleeping bags in a large rubbermade type tub in the basement.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you have space under your bed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top