Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2009 5:32:00 AM EDT
My local Indian grocery store has decent prices on canned ghee, as well as the jarred variety (glass and, I believe, plastic as well.)

What would be the differences in shelf life?  

Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
why buy it when you can make it at hope whenever you need it? I guess you are speaking of long term storage for disaster?
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

why buy it when you can make it at hope whenever you need it? I guess you are speaking of long term storage for disaster?

affirmative.

Link Posted: 10/13/2009 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen ghee last for quite awhile at room temp.  But, I am certainly no expert.  This was well before my cooking days, and way before my prepping days.  It has a longer shelf life than regular butter for certain.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
what's is ghee?
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
How's it taste compared to regular butter?
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
as i understand the canned form last longer than the jarred stuff. ymmv. not to hijack the thread but i just bought some from mredepot because i did'nt want to mess with the hassle od doing it myself. my wife used it and it's great. i ordered it last thurday and got my box friday afternoon
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How's it taste compared to regular butter?

Stronger, cleaner taste.  Want to taste a little slice of heaven?  Saute crab or lobster in a generous amount of ghee, hit with a touch of fresh squeezed lemon.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2009 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I've made it for a one-off recipe, but never in any quantity.

Didn't think of it's increased shelf life over butter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the MREDepot.com website, their canned Ghee will last 15 to 20 unopened.  Opened, but regrigerated, 12 months.  Opened, not refrigerated 10-12 weeks.  Seems like a good way to store a fat/oil for the longterm.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Things are probably different now, but when I lived in New Delhi...

1. You usually made your own butter from the milk the milk-wallah was going from door-to-door selling.  He cruises around with a ginormous stainless steel milk canister on the back of hi bicycle and called out "Dude!"––Hindi for milk.  You waived him down, took your pot and sieve and got a pot full of fresh milk.  You boil it immediately because it isn't pasteurized.  You can then get a bowl and a fork and do your best to develop tennis elbow...pretty soon you've made butter.  You heat that up on the stove and collect the clear liquid––-that is the ghee.  The translation I always heard there was "clarified butter"

2.  Indians use it pretty sparingly because it is a bitch to make butter by hand, and buying it is expensive.  All Indians are cheap, I mean frugal.

3. When they have an esteemed guest for dinner, they put as much ghee on the guest's food as they can afford.  I've been in homes where my food was literally swimming in ghee.  It did wonders for my glossy coat, but probably instantly clogged my arteries.  

4. Most Indians collect a little ghee each time they heat up some butter, and just keep it in a jar.

I've been stocking up on curry paste and curry powder too.  Curried lentils (called "dal") are pretty much a staple of the poor in India....and delicious.  They eat it with a chapati (sort of like a tortilla x pita), and a little rice, and you have what hundreds of millions of Indians eat every day.  Any sides like pickled mango or pickled lime are a bonus.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Things are probably different now, but when I lived in New Delhi...

1. You usually made your own butter from the milk the milk-wallah was going from door-to-door selling.  He cruises around with a ginormous stainless steel milk canister on the back of hi bicycle and called out "Dude!"––Hindi for milk.  You waived him down, took your pot and sieve and got a pot full of fresh milk.  You boil it immediately because it isn't pasteurized.  You can then get a bowl and a fork and do your best to develop tennis elbow...pretty soon you've made butter.  You heat that up on the stove and collect the clear liquid––-that is the ghee.  The translation I always heard there was "clarified butter"

Wow, doesn't that seem light-years different than where our culture is?

I'm just barely old enough that I remember the "milk man" and "milk boxes." Getting half-gallons of milk delivered in glass bottles and having to trudge out in the cold to the milk box and get the milk before it froze. That whole scenario is a long time gone.

Anyway, back to ghee...

I remember being 7 and filling the "milkbox" with japenese beatles ......SURPRISE !! Got spanked.....deserved more than I got
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top