Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:31:37 PM EDT
How are you planning on cleaning your cases with no power, or having to ration power? Most of the process is easy sans power, but cleaning the cases still has me puzzled. Granted it probably wont be 1k at a time, so hand scrubbing?

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Polishing medium and some sort of container with a hand crank.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Polish brass cases with steel wool.  Hold the steel wool with a paper towel between your hand and the wool, or you will get metal shards in your skin, it is very painful.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Same way I did it in school before I bought a tumbler. Steel wool and elbow grease. There are some products out there that don't require power, mostly liquid cleaners, such as IOSSO brass cleaner. I don't have any experience with it though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Polish brass cases with steel wool.  Hold the steel wool with a paper towel between your hand and the wool, or you will get metal shards in your skin, it is very painful.

Steve

This works well
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I was under the impression that cleaning cases was an option.

I reload a little, but only enough to insure my skills are up to speed when I need it -and I clean my cases, but only because I am an OCD asshole. I love the way those bright and shiny rounds look all lined up in neat little rows in their pretty fresh new plastic cases... but... I don't believe it is truly necessary. I have a friend who shoots thousands of rounds per month (from his RIA) and reloads all his own stuff with cast wheel-weight bullets. He also loads 30-06 for his M1. He is a seasoned survivalist and does not feel it is necessary to clean the cases. In fact, he has said a few times in the past that he does not want them all bright and shiny.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Polishing medium and some sort of container with a hand crank.

good job for all the womenz concubines

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Why clean cases?  Seriously???  

Case cleaning may have been essential when priming compounds were corrosive and black powder residue absorbed atmospheric moisture like a sponge.  Today case cleaning is a cosmetic operation that offers no real (necessary) benefit.

Size 'em.  Prime 'em.  Charge 'em.  Seat 'em.  Fire 'em.  Repeat.

I've loaded thousands and thousands of rounds and gone through a great many 8 lb jugs of powder.  A lot of it has been done with 'as fired' cases. I didn't pick up a case tumbler until years after starting to reload. If they (rounds)  are sized appropriately and otherwise within dimensional specs (with no obvious corrosion etc) they are good to go.  Nice shiny cases may make you feel better, but its merely a .make em pretty' sort of operation.  

Fro
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I hardley ever tumble my cases.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#9]
a bicycle attached to a tumbler and my kids
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:06:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I just won't be cleaning the brass if the shtf.  I will just fine the best looking brass I have and reloading it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one of those Cabela's dry boxes with about 6k 9mm cases already cleaned, on top of 5k rounds already loaded.  I've got a while before I need to worry about how to clean without electricity.

When I eventually add more calibers to my reloading setup I'll clean all the collected cases I have to them too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]

don't re-load now, not gona re-load then.

buy it cheap, stack it deep! if i "need" more ammo post SHTF than what i currently have, i'll be long since dead.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#14]
generator+solar+batteries
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not necessary, wipe off crud with your hands or towel.  If really bad rinse in water, if you're really well off, hot water and soap.  Rinse and let dry.  

If you really wanted shiny brass, I'm sure you could rig up a rolling bucket contraption.  You could easily power it by a home made windmill or small hydro wheel in the local crick.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think SHTF reloading will require clean cases, tumbler clean that is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why clean cases?  Seriously???  

Case cleaning may have been essential when priming compounds were corrosive and black powder residue absorbed atmospheric moisture like a sponge.  Today case cleaning is a cosmetic operation that offers no real (necessary) benefit.

Size 'em.  Prime 'em.  Charge 'em.  Seat 'em.  Fire 'em.  Repeat.

I've loaded thousands and thousands of rounds and gone through a great many 8 lb jugs of powder.  A lot of it has been done with 'as fired' cases. I didn't pick up a case tumbler until years after starting to reload. If they (rounds)  are sized appropriately and otherwise within dimensional specs (with no obvious corrosion etc) they are good to go.  Nice shiny cases may make you feel better, but its merely a .make em pretty' sort of operation.  

Fro

^This.. unless they are covered in mud, then just swish them in some soapy water- even my black powder cases get little more than this..
We will first be out of bullets, then probably primers- odd propellants may be found/reclaimed or made for awhile & bullets cast, but the primers are the critical part- I've tried making them with only limited success.  Put twice as many away as you might think you would need..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a LEE zip trim. Add scotch brite pads or steel wool, and you'll still have pretty cases. Heck, I use one just because I like it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm confident I have enough ammo to make it through a SHTF without having to reload. If it does get to that point its not SHTF its the fucking end of the world!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#21]
don't want any shiney cases reflecting light if the shtf.

you don't have to clean cases before you reload them if they don't have a large build up residue on the outside of the case; even with pistol cases that might get bullet lube on the outside of the case; when you resize them in a carbide die it will burnish the wax/lube so the bullet will still chamber easily.

but yeah man, in the mean time I'm still going to tumble clean my brass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I know alot of people that use Lemi shine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't. Shiny brass isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I won't be cleaning my brass. It's a waste of time and energy best spent on other things. Heck,I don't even clean my brass when I'm working up a load. I wait until the load is perfected then I make them shiny.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I clean mine after firing. At any given time I may have up to 10,000 rounds of 223 brass already cleaned and ready to load.

I hope that is enough.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Hot soapy water got me by for a long time before I got a tumbler. Not a problem at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#27]
If shtf i wont be picking up brass while im bugging out, in a bug in well stack it deep now. prep it now load it now in bulk. only a year left
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hot soapy water got me by for a long time before I got a tumbler. Not a problem at all.

This.  My son lives in an apartment and did this for a year or so before he got a tumbler.

As for me, winters are long at this latitude in Michigan.  I tumble, size, & trim my brass all winter long.  I pretty much all the center fire stuff I have has been fully processed and is ready to load.  I simply have to pull the lid off a 5 gallon storage bucket & take out the brass I need for a reloading session.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I have yet to tumble any of my brass.  If its really dirt i will use some soapy water and let it dry or just wipe them clean...  Maybe some day I will have the extra coin laying around for a tumbler  I have a friend that has been shooting and reloading longer then I have been alive and he has never used a tumbler.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm confident I have enough ammo to make it through a SHTF without having to reload. If it does get to that point its not SHTF its the fucking end of the world!

This.  If I run out of ammo I'm saving for hunting, there probably isn't much in the way of animals left to shoot.  I'll probably die long before I run out of ammo used for social work.

As it is now, I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of reloading, and I'd rather spend my money on things like paying off our house debt and storing up supplies.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I reloaded for years before I ever bought a tumbler.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Same way I did it in school before I bought a tumbler. Steel wool and elbow grease. There are some products out there that don't require power, mostly liquid cleaners, such as IOSSO brass cleaner. I don't have any experience with it though.

That's what I use if I want pretty brass, mostly I reload with out cleaning though. I always felt it was an added step that didn't have any benefits...
YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top