Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2013 9:32:25 AM EDT
Finally got the time to do an overview of my pack.

It is an Eberlestock X3 LoDrag. It is slightly smaller than your your average 3 Day Packs, but has the option to conceal a rifle in a variety of different ways.

Strapped on the outside in the compression sack is a USGI Poncho liner.

Pack:

The pictures above show the pack in its lowest profile form. Because of this, the rifle must be stored taken down.
Takedown Scabbard:

With the Scabbard still folded, you can still have the option to store the rifle while fully assembled. Without the Scabbard cover, the rifle sticks out over the top.
Whole:

You can conceal the exposed top with a cover.
Scabbard sleeve conceal:

The last option is to fully extend the bottom scabbard. This gives you the option to store a fully assmebled _rifle without exposing it over the top
Scabbard Extended:

The strengths in this pack is also one of its biggest weakness. The cinch straps come in at an angle, that when fully cinched, pulls the load upwards and elevates it closer to your upper body. The weakness comes from where the attachment point is located. When the pack is fully cinched on both sides, it puts stress on the zipper. The zippers on this pack are big and I'm confident in its ruggedness. However, they are not labled YKK.
Seam Stress Point:

To fix this, I used 5.11 Tier Straps, and strapped it to the Molle Webbing on the compartment door, instead of putting stress on the zipper, it elevates the load from the molle strap compartment.

This also helps in the event of zipper failure. If the zipper does fail, the Tier Strap would continue to hold the compartment closed
Tier Strap Mod:

Here are the contents of the pack. The contents are separated by pouches

Side pocket:
Mechanix Gloves

Saddle Pouch:
USGI Poncho, 100 ft paracord, pack cover

Main Compartment:
Sawyer Squeeze filter with 1L pouch, Syringe

5 mountain house meals:

Cookset:
Esbit Stove, fuel tabs, alcohol wipes, stanley mug, cup, LMF spork, sawyer 24oz bag

Maintenance Tins:
Electrical Tape, Loctite, Cleaning Patches, CLP, Slip 2000

CR123A, Lithium AA:

Comfort/Hygiene:

Top panel to access the additional items:

Left to Right:
Trauma Kit, First Aid Kit, E&E Pouch,base layers, (top) 1L Nalgene, 1L Platypus

Trauma:
Sheers, H Bandage, TK4 Tourniquet, Cinch Tight Bandage, Petroleum Gauze, Gloves

First Aid:
Bandages, Band Aids, Ibuprofen, Mole skin, Antibiotic Cream, Benadryl, Vaseline, Sting Ointment, etc..

E&E Pouch:

Fenix LD 20, suunto compass, leatherman fuse, a small folder, rite in rain notebook, and map

Under the map has:
sharpies and XL hand warmer

Main compartment has:
Cotton tinder, Oral IV, waterproof matches, water purifying tabs, surviva tin, clif bar, 2x glow sticks, and an emergency blanket:

Base Layers:
Base Layers, Dry Socks, Bandana, Wool beanie

Notes:

-Bladders do not work well with this pack unless you plan on carrying A LOT of water. The bladders are side by side, instead of one compartment in the center. You must fill both bladders for both sleeves (each sleeve can hold 3L of water) if you want the pack to balance correctly.

-My Mora Fire Knife is the only Fixed blade in this pack, and is good for light wood processing/medium tasks. I am planning on getting a 5-6" fixed blade for more serious work.

-Pack is made of 420D Nylon, which is a lightweight material. The Scabbard is made of 1000D Cordura, which protects the bottom, and back of the pack.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#1]

What is your total wet weight?

All your metal boxes/tins add weight that isn't very useful.

One is good for making char cloth, other than that, ditch them for ziplocks.

Organizing via the pouch within a pouch within a pouch method is addicting, but gets heavy before you know it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Op can you post a picture of hydration system you are using?

I have the same pack and have been using an external bladder mounted to the outside of the main compartment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Organizing via the pouch within a pouch within a pouch method is addicting, but gets heavy before you know it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The items are in altoids tin as they sit beneath the heavier items and are prone to getting crushed and leaking.

Stripping items of their package and putting them in packages are a good way of organizing items based on category.

Total pack weight, weaponized and with water is 42 lbs.

Quoted:
Op can you post a picture of hydration system you are using?

I have the same pack and have been using an external bladder mounted to the outside of the main compartment.

Just the Nalgene, platypus and sawyer bags. I was considering mounting a source hydration to the door of the main compartment as well, before I mounted the saddle pouch. How do you like that set up?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 This.  I think if you were to get a good scale and weigh just your containers (sacks, tins, bags, etc) you would be surprised.  You mentioned items getting crushed, but there has to be a work of making it all fit without adding more metal/dead weight to the pack.

42 lbs in a smaller 3 day/school sized pack can't be fun for long.  How far/long have you hiked with this setup?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
what are your comments on the esbit stove? how long does it take to boil 2 cups of water? how many fuel tabs does it take?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Bail on that USGI sleeping bag cover (black compression sack) when you get a chance. It isent waterproof and weighs about 1.1 lbs...
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1 This.  I think if you were to get a good scale and weigh just your containers (sacks, tins, bags, etc) you would be surprised.  You mentioned items getting crushed, but there has to be a work of making it all fit without adding more metal/dead weight to the pack.

42 lbs in a smaller 3 day/school sized pack can't be fun for long.  How far/long have you hiked with this setup?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I solved tin can issue by placing the items in the pouch on the top flap:

The pack is a lot bigger than your day/school pack. Most 3 day packs start around 2300 cu in, which is about the same as the X3.

42 lbs. is not a lot considering most packs do not account for rifle and ammo. Without rifle or ammo, my pack is light compared to others. Weight was a big issue and is the reason why I have an esbit, cup and fork instead of a mess kit, stove and fuel.

Quoted:
what are your comments on the esbit stove? how long does it take to boil 2 cups of water? how many fuel tabs does it take?

I've only boiled cups at a time and at times I still have a good pebble of a fuel tablet left. It takes about one.

Quoted:
Bail on that USGI sleeping bag cover (black compression sack) when you get a chance. It isent waterproof and weighs about 1.1 lbs...

Noted, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to carry my rifle in my pack and I'm looking at one of these for my rifle. http://www.lawtactical.com/product_p/2012201.htm

Maybe something you might like or not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
That is pretty nifty. Price is a little steep, but nice. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking setup.
I'm sure you'll find out if it needs to go on a diet after you've used it a few times.
It's a fun process.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Any reason you went with the narrow mouth Nalgene instead of the wide mouth?  

Wide mouths will let other water filters screw onto them and they're easier to fill without spilling..

Glad to see you pulled the Altoid tins; they will rust.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any reason you went with the narrow mouth Nalgene instead of the wide mouth?  

Wide mouths will let other water filters screw onto them and they're easier to fill without spilling..

Glad to see you pulled the Altoid tins; they will rust.
View Quote

No reason, just experimenting with different types of bottles. I have a wide mouth in my other kit.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I couldn't believe your packed only weighed 42lbs. You'd be able to shed a lot of weight if you felt the need to.

Thank you for taking the time to take pictures and post them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the pics!  Your set up looks sweet.  I'm relatively  new to the survival thing so nice to see a rig like yours I can learn some things from. My current pack is a Maxpedition Condor but I wanted the rifle storing capabilities of the Eberlestock.  I was torn between the LoDrag and The Gunslinger for about a week before finally pulling the trigger on a gunslinger.  My reasoning was I was "told' (in parenthesis because not confirmed yet) that you could pack a broken down AR into the scabbard without anything sticking out of the top in the Gunslinger but not the LoDrag.  The website states they are the same length but when seeing them on youtube it looks like the gunslinger is a good bit longer and I've seen in more than one review that people said they could do it in the Gunslinger.  I get it on Friday so will know for sure then, but either way I think I wanted to have a little more space.  The LoDrag looks very sweet though and your set up looks great.  Thanks again for sharing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top