Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2018 11:02:30 AM EDT
What’s the ARF approved GPS. Something that has maps rather than some silly led waypoint.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
You should consider looking at something app based if you have a smart phone.  Iphones and android phone actually have real gps receivers in them, but the default maps program doesn't keep any map data stored in local memory.  Therefor if you are out of service and try to use google maps, all you will get is a location on a blank map.

I use one called Gaia GPS.  It is a subscription, but not too expensive and it works faster and better than any Garmin I have ever used.  I just download a selection of map for where I am headed and I am good to go.  They have a ton of different map sources to choose from.

There are other free apps out there that do similar things, but gaia is the best I've found.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a garmin 64s and the onx hunt chip for Montana.  It has all land ownership and boundrys, hunting districts, etc on it.  Chip was $100 and requires a subscription, $30 year.  Onx hunt also has a smartphone app that you have full access to if you have the subscription. If im in an area with cell service I like the screen on my phone better, but if you loose service, then i use the chipped gps.

You can get the onx hunt app subscription without a gps, $30/year, it keeps all ownership information up to date.  You can download maps to your phone for use if youre out of cell service areas.  They are detailed and use a lot of memory.

Onx hunt maps are at www.onxmaps.com, they have all 50 states and various packages for one or more states.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to learn more about how they work and how to use one.  If you can't make a waypoint and find it, it's useless.  The whole point of a GPS is to Mark and find waypoints, and make tracks.

You will have to pay extra for a real map, or use the free ones from gpsfilesdepot.com.  I have the SE US one and it works great. Has all the streets and roads except the newer ones.

My most used one now is the 64s. There is a thread above this one (now below) explaining all about it.

They are a lot of fun but you need to learn to use it before you go off in the woods. I'm always surprised at how many people have one but don't have a clue how they work or how to use them to do what you want.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Topo map
2. Suunto compass
3. Garmin GPS
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone. I’ll look at the apps first. If I don’t like them I’ll look into a garmin
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got a Garmin 64st. So far I'm pretty impressed with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#7]
If you go the phone app route, make sure to have some method charging the battery. Smart phones running GPS with the GPS function activated really eat battery power.

I personally prefer using a handheld GPS loaded with GPSfiledepot.com topo maps because the things are not as fragile or battery consumptive as a smart phone.

I used a Garmin 60 csx for years. It was retired when I upgraded to an Etrex 30 for it's tiny size and run down time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, that's why I like them too. Sturdy, waterproof, and I can easily swap batteries to last for days, as I frequently did when I ran around on the hunt lease.  I just snap it to my pack or whatever I'm wearing.

I am also familiar with the software. I've tried a couple gps programs on my phone and they didn't work well but I think there are a couple of paid apps that I've heard good things about.

I've thought about using one at least for a backup but haven't done it. A power cell is a lot heavier than a few AA batteries.
Top Top