Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 7:04:54 PM EDT
APRS is one of those quirky little things that I can see as useful, but not something I want to base a purchase on (of maybe a dual band mobile). And why would I want to have APRS interrupt what I'm doing on the other VFO once in a while.

So I am going to take one of my Baofeng's that has started to flake (the channel down button doesn't work), plug it into one of these http://www.mobilinkd.com/tnc/, velcro an old android phone of about the same size profile (motorola Atrix) to the whole rig, and play with an APRS toy. I'll leave it in the boat when I go to the lake. I don't know what else I'll do. Maybe I'll get a project box and the right DC voltage regulators (actually I think I have those in the junk box already) and put the whole thing in a box with 12V in to run the radio, the phone and the TNC.

so I'm taking a "disposable" chinese HT, a 3.5yr old android phone that I haven't used in 2 years, adding a TNC to it for some fun.

What else can I do with my toy? Suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:49:21 AM EDT
Upgrade the antenna. It is very difficult at best with a 5w radio to get into a digipeater if the area as anything but light traffic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:49:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2014 5:57:36 AM EDT by austinrob]
yup. I didn't mention it, but probably because I think the only thing those little rubber duckies are good for is monitoring. The second thing I did with this one was upgrade the antenna. (the first thing was assemble and test it)

I've been thinking about putting an NMO mount on the roof of the truck. I could leave the magmount on the truckbox for my APRS toy. :)
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:50:37 PM EDT
Same rig with a handheld yagi would make a nice ISS contact unit. Use the droid and Satellite AR app for aiming.
Top Top