Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 12:03:25 PM EDT
Browsing at Sam's Club today I noticed that they have a version of the LifePack Froward Osmosis filters that have been discussed here before. I'm not sure how it compares to the other units they make since I don't see the exact unit on the manufactures website(www.htiwater.com/) It comes with six bottles of the syrup and says it produces 3 liters a day for 3 days. The expiration date of the one I picked up is Nov. 2010.

Sam's club link  www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=368682
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
for 6$ id snag up a mess of them fer sure....none here at our store...just like those 3 day meal packs if you see them,,get them...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
They have a crap load of them here, they are thrown in a bin on the tool aisle, sort of like they had nowhere else to put them. I bought one to test/play with and think I will grab a few more. Maybe those without a club with them in stock close by could order online? I have no idea what Sam's charges to ship.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#3]
None of the sams around here have them.

Are these basically a smaller version of the x-pack?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok after looking this thing over it appears to be an X-Pack "bladder". Judging from pictures it seems to be the same size and even has X-Pack molded into it.

If it is indeed the same it would seem that the big difference would be the amount of syrup included, only 6 bottles instead of 10.

So perhaps this is a cheaper way to get an X-Pack and could have it's useful life stretched out in an emergency, but it would take someone with more knowledge of the system than me to say for sure.

Here are some answers from the FAQ at Herowater that may apply. Anyone have any input?

www.herowater.com/faqs.php

Do you need HTI’s sports drink to make the systems work?

HTI products work on the basis of Forward Osmosis. Forward Osmosis filtration must use an osmotic agent (Sugar, or Salt) to create osmotic pressure and draw the water molecules through a semi-permeable membrane filter. HTI’s sports drink powders and syrups have been formulated to maximize filtration capabilities, enhance oral hydration and drink preservation. However, other kinds of combinations containing sugars/salts will function as an osmotic agent (Ex: Gatorade, Powerade, maple syrup, etc.)

How long can each product be used and what happens if that period is exceeded?

Each HTI product is engineered for a specific application and life-span as defined below:

HydroPack: Single use

XPack: Ten consecutive days from 1st use.

Expedition: 30-90 day filter life Flush once/week

HydroWell: 30-90 day filter life Flush once/week

HTI products will meet EPA standards using the above guidelines. In the field, HTI products have in fact been used much longer than the above recommendation. For example, HTI has received numerous reports of the XPack being used up to 20 days.

When a product is used past the recommended timeframe, there is little to no risk of a structural failure. The primary risk is that bacteria introduced to the clean side of the product through normal use (backwash or airborne) will eventually cause bacterial growth within the clean side of the membrane. In the event of emergency, the health risk from this growth is minimal due to the less threatening nature of these type of bacteria, and certainly much less than the alternative of not using the HTI product at all.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know anything about these but I do know that any price at Sam's ending in a 1 is a mark down and discontinued.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top