Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 3:48:56 PM EDT
Stumbled on a bit of rawhide (looks like about 5 sq ft) and wondering what it might be good for.  I have seen people cut cordage out of it in spirals, but what else do you do with rawhide?

Thanks
Doc
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Boy, I don't know. If she's pretty and likes increasing pain........as it dries, you know.

The only thing I can vaguely recall might be for making shapes. Seems like I recall that the shape of a saddle horn was formed with rawhide then covered with the finish leather. I might be wrong, a saddle is about the one thing I never made. Even back in the early 80's when I did alot a saddle woulda been about $500 for a "tree" and enough skins to do one, a tree was a wooden form the a western saddle was built on.
That memory is from reading the books.
Rawhide is untanned/untreated and is unpliable limiting it's uses. It also does not preserve as well.
Chew toys is one of the biggest uses today I think. Got me stumped.
I also remember it was used as a webbing for snowshoes but was always coated in varnish or some sealer to keep it from breaking down.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You're in Texas!!!  Hay chaps!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Mountain Man Duct tape.

It was used to repair all sorts of things. Wrist of a stock, Stirrups, Saddles and so on.

The Backwoodsman had an article a few months back on it's uses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top