Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2009 6:42:04 AM EDT
I forget how many threads I've seen asking about some of the better SHTF/EOTWAWKI
books, and now that I've gotten mine ordered, I thought I would share my find.
The titles that I've usually seen are "Lucifer's Hammer", "I Am Legend" and
"Alas Babylon."  (Not so sure about the last one)

Anyway here is my find for your reading pleasure:

Day After Doomsday

(They are pricey, but VERY high quality. Leatherbound, low acid paper, gilt page edges, and
page marking ribbon sewn right in. I have several from them on a variety of subjects and am
quite satisfied with the quality)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
/EOTWAWKI

What is this?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#2]
looks cool. I'd love to have another copy of Alas Babylon, haven't read it in years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
/EOTWAWKI

What is this?

This is where the End Of The World As We Know It consists of things leaning on other things
before they fall down and we literally have a scenario where society crumbles.

Well, you did ask.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
/EOTWAWKI

What is this?

This is where the End Of The World As We Know It consists of things leaning on other things
before they fall down and we literally have a scenario where society crumbles.

Actually it's the END of the End Of The World As We Know It. Whoa, that's deep.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up Alas, Babylon for $5.98 from Powells. Those look nice, but I think I'll pass on the $75 version and put the extra $69.02 toward my preps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just picked up Alas, Babylon for $5.98 from Powells. Those look nice, but I think I'll pass on the $75
version and put the extra $69.02 toward my preps.

I did say they were pricey. However, with acid-free paper the paper in the books won't turn yellow
and cause you to eventually throw it away.
Also, it is a set. All the books or nothing, and it is 5 payments of $75.00 each for the set.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
There's something about leather bond books that makes them a greater pleasure to own and the reading is more enjoyalble too.
I like quality and that looks like it. Heavy acid free paper is good for sketching and drawing, and I use it when I make my own notebooks. Also use waxed cloth for the covers, the result is functional yet so very cool.
Here's a little sketch I made.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just picked up Alas, Babylon for $5.98 from Powells. Those look nice, but I think I'll pass on the $75 version and put the extra $69.02 toward my preps.

I agree with you there.  I've got some SHTF paperbacks that are every bit of 15+ years old and are still readable even if the pages are slightly yellowed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top