Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2010 2:02:01 PM EDT
Just curious how many of you have gotten your wife / significant other into ham radio as well.  I'm trying to get my wife to get her tech license mainly for the ability to use 2 meter radios instead of FRS while camping or taking trips.  Also working on getting my son interested he is about to turn 10 and is showing some interest.  

Anyway what have you done that worked or did you try and give up?

Thanks
Travis
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No

Her dad was a freebander CB'er and has no desire.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I convinced my wife that good local coms were essential if we had an earthquake or other local disaster and we had to meet up to get back home.  Two weekends of study and she passed.  We run a xband repeater from the house which covers 99% of our daily travel area.  She doesn't use HF even though she is legal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife got her ticket, Tech. She does not get on very often ...well never really. She wanted to get it so that we had a way to get in touch incase something happened. She has a HT that I bought her and keeps it in her car or at work when we are expecting storms(so she can listen to the weather nets. She is more comfortable on simplex than on a repeater but has checked into our local net from time to time. I will have to wait a few years until I can get my son interested in getting his ticket.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife went from no call to her General in one test sessions.  She is also very active in our local club, as well as the state YL association.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Wife is not...but my daughter in a new ham.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife and oldest daughter have Tech's...   they are reluctant participants...  

Next daughter will get hers soon...   one of bad Dad's requirements.....

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife was licensed in 1986 as a novice, then technician in 1994. Became ex-wife in 1999 but still keeps her license alive. Got my son to test and pass in 2007 by the use of bribery ($100.00 cash to pass tech). Teenagers are easily bribed to do things they might not normally do, just be sure the prize is for passing not just taking the test.

RS
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife and oldest son passed their Tech's in June. I just put a dual band radio and antenna in her FJ last weekend. Would like to get both of them through General before next summer since I already have all the study materials for the current test. I need to buckle down and just study and go pass extra.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, she got her Extra while the 5 wpm was still in place.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, General Class.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
XYL (Wife) and all children have tech licenses.  Call it simply being prepared.

Some of the youngsters have said they will upgrade this winter to General so they can work our HF station on their own.

Steve
K9ZW
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
For those with kids at what age did they first get licensed?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ours were 11, 15 and 12 when they passed their tickets.

Steve
K9ZW
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My 9 year old is interested he is almost 10 thinking about sending him through the tech class when they have it later this year.  Trying to convince the wife but that is falling on deaf ears.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I just IM'd you links to FREE online classroom presentations, and FREE practice tests.  All FREE.  He can do this at home.

If he is consistently scoring 90% or better on these practice tests, he is ready to just take the test.

AFM
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Before I allow them to drive....  

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Wife  has her tech license, and the only time she gets on the radio is when I don't take my cell phone and she is trying to get in touch with me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#19]
She was until I let her 'Majik SmoKe' out.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#20]
XYL is a Tech, only for SHTF. Younger daughter (now 13) upgraded to General earlier this year. My 15yo daughter is interested but is having trouble finding hours to work though the material. It's just a matter of time. We all do lots of volunteering too, so it's a handy tool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Son and Daughter (12 and 10 years) both learned code with me earlier this year.  They show some interest in the radios, so with some prompting may pursue theirTech license.
The XYL isn't interested in the least...NADA...ZILCH.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife and youngest daughter both earned their Tech license earlier this year but neither of them have the ambition to test for their General license.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#23]
mine says she'll go for her tech when I go for my general

time to get off my ass
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#25]
My wife and daughter have zero desire to get licensed. While my daughter can probably be bribed, my wife cannot

The frustrating part is that both of them have experienced ice storms that have knocked out public utilities, including cellular outages. Considering how smart my wife is about preparing for emergencies she is extremely myopic when it comes to backup comms.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife and I passed our tech exams together. I'm working on General now, and then it's her turn. She's been in it and supporting all along.

P.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Well may have bribed my wife into studying for this.  Damn this is going to get expensive
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
"Not no, but HELL NO!" says she.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Wife started on hamclass.com today. She surprised me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes  Her idea also for shtf preps
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:18:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes, I convinced my wife that good local coms were essential if we had an earthquake or other local disaster and we had to meet up to get back home.  Two weekends of study and she passed.  We run a xband repeater from the house which covers 99% of our daily travel area.  She doesn't use HF even though she is legal.

It seems you all had some recent reinforcement of this.

I hope all is well, it is great to be prepared in the face of adversity.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems you all had some recent reinforcement of this.

I hope all is well, it is great to be prepared in the face of adversity.

Thanks for the thoughts.  We were about 700 miles away (from this one) but a mate of mine said the earth was shifting so violently that it threw him in the air!  

Power to 80% of places was restored within 24 hours and amateur coms were not required.  The following is from the AREC:

So far AREC (Amateur Radio Emergency Communications) volunteers have not been required in any major way to assist, following the earthquake that hit Christchurch in New Zealand.

The magnitude 7.1 earthquake occurred at 4.36am local time Saturday 4 September, while most people were asleep in their homes.

The result was extensive building damage in New Zealand’s second largest city, Christchurch, with only two people seriously hurt and no one reported trapped or missing.

AREC Deputy Director, Geoff Chapman ZL3PX who lives in Christchurch, said that while AREC was at the Civil Defence Headquarters, there has been no requirement for it to pass any emergency traffic.

That is due to restoration of telephone and power to the majority of the affected areas. While water and sewerage systems have been affected there has been no reported major loss of roads or bridges.

However AREC is ready, as the situation could worsen with the weather bureau issuing a warning of very strong winds with gusts up to 130km/h and heavy rain posing new threats to already damaged buildings.

Adding to the danger are numerous aftershocks with authorities advising that these will continue for many days or weeks.

The ‘quake is New Zealand’s most damaging since the one which hit Napier (Hawke's Bay) in February 1931, that saw radio amateurs extensively provide emergency communications.

That led to the formation by the IARU national radio society, the New Zealand Amateur Radio Transmitters (NZART) of what is today known as AREC.

ETA: this quake was actually stronger and more shallow than the Hati quake!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top