Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2009 12:04:43 PM EDT
I was in Cabelas' (Reno NV) yesterday. They had several black rifles, and a SIG 556 pistol.
I was told that a few weeks ago, that stuff wouldn't have lasted four hours.
Ammo was still way overpriced.
M
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Last week I was at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine and they had several 1000rd cases of loose pack Federal XM193 ball. Granted, it was still overpriced at $400 per case, but they did have a couple dozen cases in stock. They also had several 1200rd cases 7.62x39. Their black rifle inventory was still in shambles though. The few used weapons they had were still ridiculously overpriced e.g. a used DPMS flattop M4gery for $1300-without a rear sight or carry handle.

A month ago there wasn't any 223/5.56 to be had, aside from some remanufactured stuff of dubious quality.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems like it's SLIGHTLY subsiding in my neck of the woods.  People have short attention spans, and since the new season of american idol started, they're not interested in preserving their rights anymore.

I'm sure there will be another little spike after his inauguration, and a big spike the first time a democrat utters "gun control" on C-SPAN.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It seems like it's SLIGHTLY subsiding in my neck of the woods.  People have short attention spans, and since the new season of american idol started, they're not interested in preserving their rights anymore.
I'm sure there will be another little spike after his inauguration, and a big spike the first time a democrat utters "gun control" on C-SPAN.

Ding!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It seems like it's SLIGHTLY subsiding in my neck of the woods.

pretty much everything zombie defense said. however, manufacturers and distributers are still backed way the hell up though...

K.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think they prefer to say "common sense gun laws" now. [>:/]
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
You got there lingo correct

"common sence gun laws"

Because

Its for the childs saftey

After all, who in there right mind would argue with protecting the children?
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
THe real question is, is the supply running dry? Hey, I would enjoy window shopping on Gun Broker...but the windows are getting bare. Never thought I'd see 7.62x39 begin to dry up. Not good. Will need to find a new hobby now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
NO.......... Its not subsiding ! Ammo's drying up and Ammo & Reloading componets are Going up in price instead of going down !

CABELAS  1000ct .308 Brass is $ 384.00 Plus Shipping ! Glad I stocked up a year ago !!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding!

I second that!
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was in Cabelas' (Reno NV) yesterday. They had several black rifles, and a SIG 556 pistol.
I was told that a few weeks ago, that stuff wouldn't have lasted four hours.
Ammo was still way overpriced.
M

I hope it is; I also expect another spike next week.
I just found Cproducts SS 30rd ar15 mags in stock at Midway. And ordereded some.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I  must confess:  I paid way too much for ammo today.  Please forgive me.  I couldn't help myself.  I went to Cabelas today and I saw a 1000rnd case and I just......I just couldn't help myself.  I bought it.  I know deep down it was wrong and that 400dollars is too much for m193.  But I did it anyway.  I just got a sudden panicky feeling and I'm sorry and I hope everyone will forgive me.
-Green.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Off with his head
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but just wait a few days.  It will pick back up.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Greendog,
Sharing it with your fellow Arfcom members would get you a pardon I'll bet.
Wonder if supply will diminish again if they expand military ops in Afghan & Pakistan.
I'm sure everything will be fine here in Barackistan though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know if it's subsiding or if it's just vendors purposefully holding back stock and keeping their prices high because people are willing to pay that much this late in the game.  I walked into a gunshop the other day and saw them putting 40 colt rifles into their inventory.  I was checking out the used guns, when someone came in and asked about AR15's they said they only have 5 and they would be gone fast.  The sucker bought 2 on the spot, price wasn't half bad but still was a bit high.  I didn't think much of it until someone else walked in and asked the same questions, they're response was that they only had 5 and would be gone fast .  Talk about bullshit, blatantly lying to your customers to incite a panic/impulse buy.

In the same gunshop they would only put 2 or 3 cases of 5.56, 7.62, or 7.62x39 out on the shelf with a sign that said "LAST ONES IN STOCK"  as soon as someone purchased one they'd put another back in it's place on the shelf.  Granted the ammo price wasn't terrible, but still...talk about shady.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's subsiding or if it's just vendors purposefully holding back stock and keeping their prices high because people are willing to pay that much this late in the game.  I walked into a gunshop the other day and saw them putting 40 colt rifles into their inventory.  I was checking out the used guns, when someone came in and asked about AR15's they said they only have 5 and they would be gone fast.  The sucker bought 2 on the spot, price wasn't half bad but still was a bit high.  I didn't think much of it until someone else walked in and asked the same questions, they're response was that they only had 5 and would be gone fast .  Talk about bullshit, blatantly lying to your customers to incite a panic/impulse buy.

In the same gunshop they would only put 2 or 3 cases of 5.56, 7.62, or 7.62x39 out on the shelf with a sign that said "LAST ONES IN STOCK"  as soon as someone purchased one they'd put another back in it's place on the shelf.  Granted the ammo price wasn't terrible, but still...talk about shady.

that would be the lat time i set foot in that shop.

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#17]
My local Walmart was out of 22 and 9mm bulk... at least it was after I bought the last few. The store employee said they were really thin at the warehouses too, which confirmed what I've heard on the net. He said they got hit the hardest around Christmas. My local Dunhams is also cleaned out of good ammo and "sport utility rifles".
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Midway sent me an email that they had the C-Products mags in stock, so I ordered 6 at about 9:15 am on Friday.  By 10:30 they were sold out.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Midway sent me an email that they had the C-Products mags in stock, so I ordered 6 at about 9:15 am on Friday.  By 10:30 they were sold out.  

I talked with C-Products yesterday at SHOT and specifically asked about how they're keeping up. It's not rosy. I may have the #s and products mixed but it was like 3/4M behind on aluminum and around 1/2M on steel. This should be cut back in March.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Not for me it's not. I wouldn't call it panic however. My wife told me a few months ago that we should get more reloading components.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Panic part 2 will start on the 20th.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Not in Ohio ! !

Went to the toy show on Saturday.  Place was PACKED !! Very little in the way of reloading supplies.

WASR AK's were selling at $559.  Any better grade AK was a lot higher (I looked at a Arsenal AK back in September - $799.  Saturday same rifle was $1,100 ! ! )
Dealers were saying any hi-cap handgun was a good seller.  AR's were starting at $1,000.

Ammo to be found, if you wanted to pay the price.  South African 308 - 140 round battle packs were selling at $100 per pack.  Wolf 556 and 7.62 X 39 was $300 per case.  440 round tins of 7.62 X 54R were $95 each.  LOTS of ammo going out the door.

Have a feeling panic buying will continue on for a while . . . .

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
The price gouging hasn't subsided in the big stores around here yet. I went to Cabela's last week and they had Wolf black box 55gr for $9.xx a box. I was excited to see a few boxes of Q3131 sitting on top a 7.99 price tag, but upon further inspection the tag was for something out of stock and the Q3131 was 10.99 a box.

The Academy sporting good stores out here used to have really cheap, low quality, brass cased store branded .223 made by Prvi for $6.xx per 20 rd box right before the election, but now it's $9.99. They had a store branded laquer coated steel cased from barnaul for $3.xx per 20 round box, which is now up to $6.99.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NO.......... Its not subsiding ! Ammo's drying up and Ammo & Reloading componets are Going up in price instead of going down !

CABELAS  1000ct .308 Brass is $ 384.00 Plus Shipping ! Glad I stocked up a year ago !!!

Have you looked at 6.8 SPC brass prices? Owwww.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Panic buying IS subsiding. In late December I got an e-mail from DPMS saying they are hoping to return to business as usual within a week or two. Also, my local funshop actually can keep stuff in stock now. I suspect in 6 months it will be back to normal completely.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I've seen a slowed rate of buying in my area. Some people are just crazed right now...
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#27]
yup i see a lot more stores with actual stock.  most of the gun people i know are either
A) out of money
or
B) out of credit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Slowing down?

The only stuff that I see not being snatched up is the + $100 markup shit.

I still cant find anything reasonably priced which leads me to belive no things aren't.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I have adequate supplies of everything I need.  That does not mean that if I see a 'bargain', I don't take advantage of it, but right now, I am not buying anything.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Panic buying IS subsiding. In late December I got an e-mail from DPMS saying they are hoping to return to business as usual within a week or two. Also, my local funshop actually can keep stuff in stock now. I suspect in 6 months it will be back to normal completely.

I got the same E-Mail from DPMS............. But Every item they sale is still OUT of Stock or Back Ordered !!! Back to Normal in 6-months.........Yeah right.........Maybe " BANNED " within 6-Months............Wake Up SHEEPLES !!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#31]
With the Marxist in power dont kid yourself. The panic buying will continue UNTIL it is banned.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah Look at Obamas Stimulis Package...........The Job Stimulis Money is for Women & Minorities Only !!! .....Uncle Osama Obama left " Whitey " OUT !!!

NOW............Most Gun owners are WHITEY............Remember Angry Gun Clinging Whites like Uncle Osama Obama called us. I GAURENTEE HE Will be coming after OUR GUNS and 2nd Amendment RIGHTS SOON !!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You got there lingo correct

"common sence gun laws"

Because

Its for the childs saftey

After all, who in there right mind would argue with protecting the children?

Exactly, because common sense gun safety laws are an investment in our children's future.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you looked at 6.8 SPC brass prices? Owwww.

You are right about 6.8 brass.  i am on backorder at midway at $35 per 100.  They took the backorder so I am hoping i get it.  Its for remington which is the kind I use.  Large primer.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#35]
In a rare moment of wealth, I have enough spare cash for one windowed flat dark earth PMag. EVERYONE is out of stock, or isn't in stock reliably enough for me to have found a mag.

For some items I'd say the panic buying isn't subsiding at all.

NOBODY has some things in stock with any kind of predictability.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Mark Koernke said something on a show in the last couple days that some manufacturers are halting production on some models..........
do they know something we don't or are they being leaned on? I wonder.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Calm before the storm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mark Koernke said something on a show in the last couple days that some manufacturers are halting production on some models..........

I dunno about all that. Maybe they are halting production on less sought after rifles. I could see them halting production on rifles that have uppers with fixed carry handles or varmint rifles. Those are about the only ARs that I see on the shelves anymore.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#39]
could go either way

I went to the largest dealer in my area the other day . . . and they had a whole section of the store dedicated to EBR's and whatnot - a section previously filled by miscellaneous flashlights and hats and such.
There were at least a dozen AR variants, and 8 Sig 556's in pistol configuration, a bunch of other com bloc stuff too, all sitting up on a table, with one of each type sitting on top of a stack of boxes full of others. They were all WAY overpriced.

The observation I made was - it was all just sitting there, not being touched. There were probably a dozen other customers in the store at the time, and half of them were looking at pistols, and most of the other guys were looking at hunting type shotguns.

At the very least I expected that some customers would be over there playing with the EBR's - if for no other reason than the cool factor. But they seemed to be the last items on the customers' minds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Everything in my area worth owning is gone and when I picked up the M70 that I had on layaway (planned ahead a few months back to avoid the rush) I was told that Bushmaster told them to expect a 12-18 month backorder on AR's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Well were I live everything is getting back in stock, my local gun stores has several AR's, Ak's, SKS's, Sig 556 Pistol, And miscelaneous other black rifles. The only thing that is hard to get here is ammo, its all nice to buy any gun you want, when you want. However if you can't get the ammo for the gun you want than it is just a really nice paper weight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#42]
I went into a local shop where the owner is a complete bullshit artist. Three weeks ago he had one BM M4, $1250 "better buy now I got the only one in the state" mags used GI $29.

I went back yesterday 4 DMPS M4 $1250-1425 per. Nothing special, and a brand new and very loose Semi-auto Thompson $1500, Last one in the state, they have been banned by excecutive order just this morning.

And New AR15 Mags $39.99, He would give me  a brake on mags if I bought an AR.

The guy is a shit stain. He will not get one dollar from me.

It's like going to a gun show.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

lets see

pre election scare

AK- 350$
x39- 130$-180$ per K

AR-699-1k
556- 180+ per K

now
AK- if you find one 600+
x39- 280$ per K

AR- havent worried to look im sure its 1k and up
556- 300 per K

supplies arent in that much of limit, companies can kepup and will keep shipping.

distrubters and sellers may say they are out..... prices wont be  1-200 less like pre elcetion scare.... hell they may not go down at all.
near 300$ for x39 is crazy... 308 cost that much .. LOL..we could see  200 maybe sub 200 prices but the days of 99$ per K or 150$ per K for 556 aint gonna happen i fear!
to much profit to be made...
there's been alot of " were outof stock..." wait 3 weeks ro 2 months and come back with in stock at 50-100$ more tacked on!!!

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I checked Midway for primer prices yesterday; they were out of EVERY brand of rifle primer in EVERY size, with no backorder.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#45]
You got ripped. Our local gun shop is selling S & W, MP, AR for less than $900 - STILL.

Prices might be up, and they are on the AK's but the AR's around here have stayed fairly consistant.

Mags are another story. They have doubled and are hard to get.

StagPower

Quoted:
I went into a local shop where the owner is a complete bullshit artist. Three weeks ago he had one BM M4, $1250 "better buy now I got the only one in the state" mags used GI $29.

I went back yesterday 4 DMPS M4 $1250-1425 per. Nothing special, and a brand new and very loose Semi-auto Thompson $1500, Last one in the state, they have been banned by excecutive order just this morning.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You got ripped. Our local gun shop is selling S & W, MP, AR for less than $900 - STILL.

Prices might be up, and they are on the AK's but the AR's around here have stayed fairly consistant.

Mags are another story. They have doubled and are hard to get.

StagPower

Quoted:

I didn't get ripped, I bought my ARs long ago 10+ years.  I will  not spend my coin in that shop.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't think the panic is drying up; I think people's money is drying up.

You can't buy what you can't afford.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#48]
what drives me absolutely insane is the libs will scream and cry over "protecting the children" from the evil guns, but in the same breath they turn around and support aborting an unborn child

A new AWB could easily come down the pikes, hopefully its further away than not but instead of saying that we'll buy up anything we can get our hands on to weather the storm we should be doing what we could to prevent it, i.e. joining the NRA, local gun clubs, writing our representatives and letting them know where we stand, and standing up to preserve our 2nd Amendment. Get involved!

sorry I realize that this is off topic but the above comments got me thinkin
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#49]
The info that I'm hearing is that many manufacturers are not buying more tooling to make more product.  They are uncertain of any new proposed legislation just like we are.  I can't blame them for not investing thousands of dollars for machinery that will likely sit idle in a years time.  They also think that many smaller shops that "panicked" and ordered 20+ ARs simply aren't going to be able to pay for them.  That will lead to a glut and there will be too much supply and not enough demand. I expect everything to calm down in around 5 months unless new legislation is proposed. Sadly, I'm sure that new laws are coming.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Cop friend of mine told me last night that prior to the election, there were about 1,000,000 CCW holders in FL.  In December alone, the state received over 300,000 new applications.

Pretty amazing if those numbers are accurate and indicative of how serious people are taking this.  I think its a little beyond knee-jerk buying.  Getting a CCW takes some thought, time and a little money.  Not really an impulse thing.  I'm guessing we'e in for some bare shelves for a while.  I just hope the new gun owners remember to vote a pro-gun platform next time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top