Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 7:40:50 PM EDT
Recent article in the New Yorker, figured I'd share. Yes, it's a ridiculous libtard rag, and some of that definitely comes through in the article, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. So much opsec fail... But very interesting read. Personally, I find it fascinating that so many of the elites and connected are thinking along these lines. Maybe we're not nuts, after all.

Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting but I predict the majority of those wealthy people won't last long not matter how much money they throw at it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Libs gonna lib.
To protect his wife and daughter, he said, “I don’t have guns, but I have a lot of other weaponry. I took classes in archery.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Recent article in the New Yorker, figured I'd share. Yes, it's a ridiculous libtard rag, and some of that definitely comes through in the article, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. So much opsec fail... But very interesting read. Personally, I find it fascinating that so many of the elites and connected are thinking along these lines. Maybe we're not nuts, after all.

Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich
View Quote

I think this is the silo that was on some TV show?  Looking to sell Doomsday space to the elite.  Great idea and if doomsday hits, you can disappear with all of your their money to some uninhabited island in the south pacific and no one will know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think this is the silo that was on some TV show?  Looking to sell Doomsday space to the elite.  Great idea and if doomsday hits, you can disappear with all of your their money to some uninhabited island in the south pacific and no one will know.
View Quote

I think most of those rich people are rich enough to do about the same, this being yet another backup plan of theirs.
Money, cash and in accounts across the world.
Bug out locations, both local and abroad.
Means to get there. Most of these guys have their own plane, boats, can pay for private jets or tickets, etc.
Intel and connections. By the time you read about SHTF they'll already be in some safe location.
All we can do is try to get as close to such a setup as possible. One of the toughest parts for most people being having the money do move around like that, and maybe even harder to get, connections with true insiders that warn you ahead of time.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think most of those rich people are rich enough to do about the same, this being yet another backup plan of theirs.
Means to get there. Most of these guys have their own plane, boats, can pay for private jets or tickets, etc.
Intel and connections. By the time you read about SHTF they'll already be in some safe location.
All we can do is try to get as close to such a setup as possible. One of the toughest parts for most people being having the money do move around like that, and maybe even harder to get, connections with true insiders that warn you ahead of time.
FerFAL
View Quote

Your viewpoints are always appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting article.  Most of the typical "prepper" material we read is written by poor people, for poor people.   Case in point, the debate over PM's.  .... and the clowns who inevitably chime in "Lead, Copper and Brass, is all you need".  

They literally cannot comprehend the preservation of wealth, because they've never had any.  

A realization I had recently, while reading about the meltdown of German currency after WWI:      We are already seeing the beginning of our devaluation, and it is manifested in the crazy valuations of the stock market.    

The uber-rich are enjoying the benefits of that, but they know intuitively, that it isn't sustainable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the hive think that a BOV for the rich would be a money making scheme?
Heavy truck frame with enclosed "camper", NBC filters, extra fuel tanks, etc...
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does the hive think that a BOV for the rich would be a money making scheme?
Heavy truck frame with enclosed "camper", NBC filters, extra fuel tanks, etc...
View Quote

Not really.  Million dollar campers are already a thing, but you would have to charge so much more, it wouldn't be feasible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Was it World War Z that talked about the mansion with the private army? It has been a while since I have read it. Anyway all the rich people turn into zombies because they has spent so much on their "safe house" they wouldn't leave.

Could be wrong about the book reference. But all the same.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The Silicon guys are good.  

The horseshit starts with Robert A. Johnson.  Soros guy.  Complete fuckhead who would love nothing more than total control over the economy.  Here is his way of offering bread and circuses for the masses, keeping system ownership for himself and his buddies:
Johnson said, “If we had a more equal distribution of income, and much more money and energy going into public school systems, parks and recreation, the arts, and health care, it could take an awful lot of sting out of society. We’ve largely dismantled those things.”
View Quote

(The most recent, Eagle Horizon, in 2015, simulated hurricanes, improvised nuclear devices, earthquakes, and cyberattacks.)
View Quote
The wall street cynic in me says that is code for:  power plants unable to afford fuel, urban riots, and banking lockdown if there is a run on the bank.

This, right here, is the bullseye:
An American hedge-fund manager in his forties—tall, tanned, athletic—recently bought two houses in New Zealand and acquired local residency. He agreed to tell me about his thinking, if I would not publish his name. Brought up on the East Coast, he said, over coffee, that he expects America to face at least a decade of political turmoil, including racial tension, polarization, and a rapidly aging population. “The country has turned into the New York area, the California area, and then everyone else is wildly different in the middle,” he said. He worries that the economy will suffer if Washington scrambles to fund Social Security and Medicare for people who need it. “Do you default on that obligation? Or do you print more money to give to them? What does that do to the value of the dollar? It’s not a next-year problem, but it’s not fifty years away, either.”
View Quote
  The reason these hedge fund guys wont give their names is because all their clients would call them and ask exactly how the investments are protected from what they see coming.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Libs gonna lib.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Libs gonna lib.
To protect his wife and daughter, he said, “I don’t have guns, but I have a lot of other weaponry. I took classes in archery.”

LOL, "I took classes in archery"... Doesn't say that he could actually even hit anything with a bow...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was it World War Z that talked about the mansion with the private army? It has been a while since I have read it. Anyway all the rich people turn into zombies because they has spent so much on their "safe house" they wouldn't leave.

View Quote

Yes.
The security teams could tell the compound was lost and bailed vs staying.

Theres also a big subdivision in Texas being built. Trident properties or development or such. Security is handled by ex seals/mil. Bunkers on site.
Its basically a typical retirement community but with security on site.
But like most things. 
He who has the guns and the guts controls things.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes.
The security teams could tell the compound was lost and bailed vs staying.

Theres also a big subdivision in Texas being built. Trident properties or development or such. Security is handled by ex seals/mil. Bunkers on site.
Its basically a typical retirement community but with security on site.
But like most things. 
He who has the guns and the guts controls things.
View Quote

As in the ex seals/mil security team. If that place is used for what it is designed for, what's to prevent them from wanting it for themselves and relationships? Just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As in the ex seals/mil security team. If that place is used for what it is designed for, what's to prevent them from wanting it for themselves and relationships? Just thinking out loud.
View Quote

I believe for this to even remotely have a chance of working, you'd have to integrate the families and housing arrangements of the security personnel into your overall community and plan.

Treating security personnel and their families like part of their "community" is not something I see the rich and famous doing anytime soon. In good times, security personnel are viewed as an annoyance, and in bad times, expendable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree you'd have to have their relationships involved.
As I saw on their lay out. Outside of the zoned out lots was a section off from the lots for sale. Called "the village". It was centrally located .
Could be where they would be housed outta site/mind.
But it's a % chance event? So it's a win win for the chosen security team.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the link op. I'll read the second half after work. The first thing that came to my mind though is that although they have the money to buy anything, they probably lack some street smarts that come from growing up poor.

You can't buy certain life experiences. I've lived with the power and gas shut off for days, weeks at a time. No food in the kitchen, questionable water, etc etc. I didn't have a bad childhood, we were just poor for most of it.  But I wouldn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah... World War Z isnt much of a historic account to take into consideration.
Again, resources, connections, intel thats what rich people have going for them.
History shows us that rich people tend to do pretty well for themselves when SHTF.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FerFAL
View Quote

+1.  I would add that a continuing source of income in their bug out location is important.  That might be income from skills/job, a business, or income from assets.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link op. I'll read the second half after work. The first thing that came to my mind though is that although they have the money to buy anything, they probably lack some street smarts that come from growing up poor.

You can't buy certain life experiences. I've lived with the power and gas shut off for days, weeks at a time. No food in the kitchen, questionable water, etc etc. I didn't have a bad childhood, we were just poor for most of it.  But I wouldn't change a thing.
View Quote

Don't assume that all of them grew up rich. Some of them might be first generation wealthy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don't assume that all of them grew up rich. Some of them might be first generation wealthy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder how many of these rich guys are buying into the liberal idea that Donald has his finger on the nuke button and is going to blow us all to Hell, vs guys who are prepping like many but just happen to have more zeroes in their bank accounts.
That seems to have been a common liberal claim between the election and the Inauguration that has died down a bit
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I get the impression from the article that most of these guys have been doing this for a while, most for at least the past few years. Although I'm sure it's even more on the minds of libtards with Trump's election.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Libs gonna lib.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Libs gonna lib.
Yeah, they are.

I really need to get a bow and arrows and get good at it.  Guns are icky and loud and consume ammo.  Arrows are quiet and I can shoot them in my backyard, and that would probably be fun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#25]
The weakness in their plan is it mostly relies on other folks doing the heavy lifting for them.  What happens when you're more valuable as a food item than as a potential employer? 
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like they had a similar article back in 2009, to include an interview of Kunstler.
Interesting to reflect on all of the above, looking back over a longer period of time.
The Dystopians - circa 2009
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A realization I had recently, while reading about the meltdown of German currency after WWI:      We are already seeing the beginning of our devaluation, and it is manifested in the crazy valuations of the stock market.    

The uber-rich are enjoying the benefits of that, but they know intuitively, that it isn't sustainable.
View Quote

The bolded part is why I posted 100,000 DJI in the Crash on Monday thread in GD.    It happened in Weimar and recently in Zimbabwe.  I wonder if anyone picked up on what I meant?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I haven't read the article yet, but jit's glimpsing at the responses makes me say never underestimate anyome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Libs gonna lib.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Libs gonna lib.

Thats exactly how I like wealthy refugees, unarmed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow, lots of real issues with the super rich.  Preparedness is about training AND preps, not just preps.  

Skills are very important.  The most critical is mindset.  

They have already failed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#31]
As long as they can keep their security and support staffs loyal (and their families protected as well) they will be just fine despite peoples snide comments here about failing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The horseshit starts with Robert A. Johnson.  Soros guy.  Complete fuckhead who would love nothing more than total control over the economy.  Here is his way of offering bread and circuses for the masses, keeping system ownership for himself and his buddies:
The wall street cynic in me says that is code for:  power plants unable to afford fuel, urban riots, and banking lockdown if there is a run on the bank.

The reason these hedge fund guys wont give their names is because all their clients would call them and ask exactly how the investments are protected from what they see coming.
View Quote

are you an accredited investor?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thats exactly how I like wealthy refugees, unarmed.
View Quote

You didn't know? These guys are never unnarmed.  They just have other people carry and use guns for them, all while making sure most sheep around them are unnarmed.  Pretty clever strategy (pretty evil too though)
FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

No but I should be.  If (when?) President Trump signs this bill I will be.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Im looking into getting my pilots license
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top