Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2010 6:02:24 PM EDT
I need input on some new gloves for hunting. Normal temp range is about 20-30 degrees. So, I'd like some input from you all. I am tired of buying stuff, getting it out in the field, and finding out I made a bad choice. I really don't care if they are a certain camo pattern or a particular color. They don't have to be "scent blocker" stuff or whatever its called. I just want some gloves that keep my hands warm, but not so warm that they get soaking wet, then freeze from being wet. Help!
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help with hunting gloves.  You probably want mittens for added warmth.  Mittens are almost always warmer than equivalent gloves, and they do make hunting mittens with quick releases or whatever for when a critter wanders by.

I wear these up here, but being gloves they aren't designed for sitting still for hours at a time in cold weather:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_arete_gloves.html

Waterproof, windproof, and warm as gloves go, though.  They're good for about an hour in <20 degree weather before I start wishing I'd brought mittens.  On the other hand, they're much more useful than mittens when I actually do stuff.

I tested three different sets of gloves by bringing them home and wearing them under tap water for a couple minutes, only those OR Aretes were truly waterproof.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure you do that water test, it's very telling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow!  Those look great!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on how cold you mind your hands being.  (Mine get cold fairly easily)
I really like Seirus All-Weather gloves.  They are very wind and water resistant, fit my hands almost perfectly, are pretty warm, decently sturdy, and cost $20-30.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL, I buy the 12 pks pf cotton Jersey gloves for $8.99, and cut the fingers off the right hands.
Then , I keep my right hand IN MY POCKET, where it's warm.
Carry spares, in case they get wet.
Waterfowling, I wear neoprene when running out setting dekes,etc, then back to cut off Jersey's when waiting on birds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I second buying Outdoor Research gloves or mitts.
They aint cheap, but they are worth the money.
I own several pairs of different models for different uses, and they are top line gloves.
If you take care of them they'll last a good long time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#6]
In addition to gloves, wearing a beanie or hat when you're cold will keep your hands and feet warmer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top