Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 7:40:50 AM EDT
I've been reading a lot here over the last couple years, so hopefully I haven't missed this if it's already been posted.  What are some of the ways any of you are using to store items in a pickup truck?  I have an Isuzu Hombre (re-badged S-10) with the extended cab, no cover or topper.  I would like to find a way to keep emergency supplies without having them be visible...my experience is that anything in view is too tempting for people to steal.  Am I going to have to break down and get some sort of topper or cover, or has anyone come up with some discreet storage ideas?  What about those tool boxes that mount in the bed behind the cab?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I drive a single cab, everything is behind the seat.

Buddy of mine is in the same situation you are, he drives an extended cab Ford Ranger - he opted to get a bed mounted toolbox like you describe. I think that'd be your best bet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
A secured truck/tool box in the bed is the obvious choice.  That way you can keep other stuff (non SHTF) in there too such as:

Jumper cables
Tools
Bolt Cutters
Shovel
Chain
Come-A-Long
Rubber Knee Boots
Tire Plug Kit
Paper Towels
Windex
Ratchet Straps
Air Compressor
etc etc etc
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to store jumpers,jack,oil,brake fluid,comealong under the hood.

you might be able to store a few large ammo cans where the spare tire goes, and through the spare in the bed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the toolbox mounted behind the cab. Mine carries things like an ax, shovel, jumper cables, rags, wrench and screw driver set, high lift, tire chains, and extra fluids for the vehicle. There is more than that in there but those are the "main" items. I also carry a few granola bars and some water in the front. I also toss a large duffel bag in the back of the cab in the winter with winter clothing, sub 0 sleeping bag and my jetboil with some mountain house meals.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used to store jumpers,jack,oil,brake fluid,comealong under the hood.

you might be able to store a few large ammo cans where the spare tire goes, and through the spare in the bed.

Don't be surprised when your spare disappears.

ETA Bed mounted toolbox is mandatory on every truck I will ever own.  You can keep all kinds of shit in there.  Especially stuff that would not be good in the cab due to noxious fumes or dirt.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
When I bought my last truck [Toyota reg. lentgh bed] it came with a nice heavy duty tool box behind the cab...you know the type. At first i really liked it and it was handy to keep stuff in that is for sure but I found out that it really hurt me as to what i could carry in the truck since it took up a good bit of room. Basicaly I had now somthing like a 4  foot bed. Also I missed the protection that a full cap gave so I picked up a nice aluminum cap at the auction for $20. I like this cap because I have racks on it and can carry stuff on the top too, plus in a pinch can sleep in it. Downside is you can't put tall big stuff in like furniture but i don't normaly haul this kind of stuff...of course wouldn't be to much trouble take it off if helping sombody move. This cap has the side opening loading windows which is what you want.
I think my "perfect" rig would be a pipe cage with tool boxs along the side for locked storage and a fitted canvas  cover to tie down over it when needed ....Todd
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the idea from a thread that ran a couple months ago about a member building a secure box for behind the seats in his Ranger (it included pictures).  I made one out of 1 X 6's 42" long (fits nicely behind the seats of my 4 dr Ranger).  Painted the outside black to tone it down if anyone looked in my truck.  It has a hinged top with lock and hasp.  It is carpet lined and has a small hole drilled in each end.  I ran a cable through the box and around the seat mounts, looped the cable ends and pad locked that.  While nothing will stop a determined thief, it will not be an easy job to take my weapons.  I use it to go to the range and if I want to stop somewhere before or afterwards, my weapons are pretty secure.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I would put a box in the back and it doesn't have to be expensive. When I had my pickup I put one of the $20 plastic toolboxes that walmart carries in the automotive section. A few minutes with a drill and a piece of flat stock and it was fairly secure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
What is behind the front seats?  Most pickups have folding jumper seats.  If you could remove these, and build a low plywood "bench" to fit in their place, that would be a low-profile alternative.  You could throw an old blanket over them to camouflage the fact that it's a locker.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is behind the front seats?  Most pickups have folding jumper seats.  If you could remove these, and build a low plywood "bench" to fit in their place, that would be a low-profile alternative.  You could throw an old blanket over them to camouflage the fact that it's a locker.

Yes, I do have the folding seats back there, I'll have to check back there and brainstorm a bit.  Thanks for all the ideas, I'm going to shop around on the toolboxes and see what's out there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would put a box in the back and it doesn't have to be expensive. When I had my pickup I put one of the $20 plastic toolboxes that walmart carries in the automotive section. A few minutes with a drill and a piece of flat stock and it was fairly secure.

Is that in the bed, or in the cab behind the seats?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top