Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2014 11:30:28 PM EDT
I got mine right as winter was setting in, and never really got a chance to try it out, other than just setting it up and familiarizing myself with it.

Finally threw it up last night in my backyard and slept it in. Damnit do I love this thing.
I've got the Ultralight Backpacker Asym model with the Monsoon Rainfly. Kept me perfectly dry even in the torrential rain we had overnight. Slept like a damn corpse in it.
I made a few modifications to the suspension system and it definitely made setup a breeze.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]

I have one too. Comfy and easy to set up. I haven't taken it kayak camping yet, and I've never set it up over water in the swamp, but I want to.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
What'd you do to your suspension?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What'd you do to your suspension?
View Quote

I got rid of their stock webbing, and picked up some longer lengths (50 yards for like 20 bucks on amazon), cut two 10-yard lengths off and had a loop sewn into one end of each, put a carabiner through the loops. Attached two climbing descent rings to each end of the ridgeline so you can quickly run the webbing through the rings. I got the idea from a youtube video I found forever ago, I'll see if I can find it again. It really simplifies the setup process, and makes it super easy to adjust the tension.

ETA:

Its a modified version of this video. Instead of having the webbing with two loops, I only have one, with the carabiner through it. I run the loose end of the webbing back throught the carabiner so it tightens on the tree, then run it through the rings like in this video:

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I did something similar to the second video. I used some small line to hang the descender rings off the hammock (using a larkshead). I like the SMC rings because they're smaller than the Omegas. After about a year I went ahead and swapped that out for whoopieslings. I'm using them on all of my hammocks now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
They've been on my list. How much do they run?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine cost in the vicinity of $300, with the monsoon rain fly, but they can be had for considerably less. Probably in the $200 range. If you get one, look into the pros and cons of the bottom entries and side entry models. I have the bottom, and wish I'd gotten the side.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The price does vary depending on what you get. If you get a "commercial" hammock (Hennessy, ENO, Grand Trunk) expect to pay $70-$250. If you put the kit together (hammock, tarp, suspension) you may spend upwards of $500 if you go UL and get a cuben fiber tarp. Insulation will range in price as well whether you go synthetic vs down or 3/4 vs full-length. There are a lot of variables to consider (weight, material, etc). Make sure the weight rating of your desired hammock is sufficient.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mine cost in the vicinity of $300, with the monsoon rain fly, but they can be had for considerably less. Probably in the $200 range. If you get one, look into the pros and cons of the bottom entries and side entry models. I have the bottom, and wish I'd gotten the side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a HH with the bottom entry.  It's great in theory; but in reality it's kind of limited.  I'm sending mine off to get modified; full zippers both sides and bottom entry delete.  There's some nice folks from hammock forums that do the mods; 2QZQ or something like that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's some nice folks from hammock forums that do the mods; 2QZQ or something like that.
View Quote

That's them. Donna does great work.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Hennessey Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip (NOT the bottom entry) and love it.
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/specs/explorer_deluxe_asym_zip/

I also have the snake skins and the water collection devices (Never used them yet)

I did the Omega Pacific rings last time I used it and it was great!  I slept in it 2 nights and my back was fine - I will never ground tent camp again!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a HH with the bottom entry.  It's great in theory; but in reality it's kind of limited.  I'm sending mine off to get modified; full zippers both sides and bottom entry delete.  There's some nice folks from hammock forums that do the mods; 2QZQ or something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man, I'm going to jump on that for sure. How much is the modification, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the Hennessey Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip (NOT the bottom entry) and love it.
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/specs/explorer_deluxe_asym_zip/

I also have the snake skins and the water collection devices (Never used them yet)

I did the Omega Pacific rings last time I used it and it was great!  I slept in it 2 nights and my back was fine - I will never ground tent camp again!
View Quote

I'm interested to see how the water collection devices work. I have them, but they don't really work with the hex rainflies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh man, I'm going to jump on that for sure. How much is the modification, if you don't mind me asking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are four different zipper options ranging from $35 to $77. If you want the velcro removed and the opening sewn shut it's $10.

2QZQ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top