Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/19/2008 10:22:46 PM EST
Just thought I'd let the hive know what kind of yeild I got from the space used with two crops. This was my first year of potato, but I was pleased with the outcome. I got approximately fifty pounds of taters from only two sixteen foot rows. I plan on a second crop in a different spot, again two sixteen foot rows, so that's one hundred pounds of potato from this amount of space in one season. I got fifty seven ears of corn from four sixteen foot rows. I am going to plant other crops in that space now. I had a lot of immature ears because of the small amount of corn I planted. Hopes this helps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:27:16 AM EST
Planting corn in my garden never made any sense to me. I store most of what I plant and the yield vs. garden space needed to produce even a few ears of corn never made sense to me. I also live in a high corn producing area, so I buy it in bulk to freeze at a pretty good price.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:31:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By jcoffman55:
I got approximately fifty pounds of taters from only two sixteen foot rows.

I did three 25' rows, and they appeared to be going crazy as far as I can tell above ground. I planted in trenches, and ended with mounds.

I think I might have potatoes coming out my ears.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:19:33 PM EST
I planted in trenches also and mounded the dirt up as the plants grew, I had three to five good sized ones per plant.

Your right, the corn did not yield that much food for the space, but it was really good. I froze it all. At the store they sell fresh ears for five for a dollar so it doesn't make a ton of since, and unless you have a large isolated farm, you can't save the seeds.
Top Top