Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 4:33:15 AM EDT
Me and my brother went out on the lease yesterday and came home with a 4 foot rat snake.  Some of the girls in our group had never eaten snake before, so I skinned it and tossed it onto the grill after the burgers were done.  I don't know if it was the age of the snake or what, but it was tough and not nearly as meaty as the large rattlesnake I cooked last time.  The girls were eating some of it until we pointed out how it looked like grilled penis.  Nobody wanted any after that.

Anyone have a good snake recipe?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Heard of eating rattlesnake but not rat snake. A little too hardcore for me. Kudos to you for putting your survival theory into practice though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Heard of eating rattlesnake but not rat snake. A little too hardcore for me. Kudos to you for putting your survival theory into practice though.

That.  I would guess that cooking it with the skin on would keep it from drying out, but that's jsut speculation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Venomous snakes are normallly fatter than non venomous so they most likely are a little better for cooking and consumption  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Did cotton mouth the same way we did fish fillets in corn meal and oil. Tasted okay but not much meat there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The best rattlesnake I ever ate was rolled in buttermilk and crushed nacho cheese Doritos and cooked in a cast iron skillet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics of girls and snake or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I cannot as their boys might beat me to a pulp.  I'm a big guy, but they would gang up on me.  Suffice it to say, they are some nice looking brunettes.

Quoted:

Pics of girls and snake or it didn't happen.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The best rattlesnake I ever ate was rolled in buttermilk and crushed nacho cheese Doritos and cooked in a cast iron skillet.

Sounds like something I'll have to try. I haven't seen a rattler in a while.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sorry, but.... that just looks nasty!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesnt look bad to me but Im guessing you have never saw my fiancees cooking. If she would of cooked it it would look like one of those ash snake things you see kids playing with on the 4th.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a rattler give attitude to our First Sargeant. The snake lost. The cook cut it into bite size pieces, breaded and deep fried it, and served it at the nightly movie. Kinda tasted like fried clams.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]

This looks like it tastes way better than watching Bear Grylls eat a snake raw.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree!  I would have to be pretty hungry before I resorted to eating a rat snake.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Good on you for giving it a try.  

Won't know if you don't try it.

GM
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Snake eater.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'de hit it.  I mean eat it
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#17]
if you ever need to eat another lean animal like a snake, etc... here is what you do:
get yourself some italian salad dressing. Be sure it is the clear kind and not the kind that is milky white looking. Liberally coat the critter in the salad dressing before you throw it on a hot grill. Cook a few mins (depends on size of critter) and flip. Be sure to coat again when you flip it and then only cook as long as needed to make it safe. I don't like to overcook stuff (except pork which I cook longer) and got to keep the meat wet with that italian dressing and it should turn out pretty decent. The dressing prevents drying out and also the seasoning in the dressing really helps with taste. Not going to taste great mind you but will make pretty much anything taste better than eating it plain. If you are hiking, you can get those packets of italian dressing from many fast food joints and they work too and are easy to carry.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
if you ever need to eat another lean animal like a snake, etc... here is what you do:
get yourself some italian salad dressing. Be sure it is the clear kind and not the kind that is milky white looking. Liberally coat the critter in the salad dressing before you throw it on a hot grill. Cook a few mins (depends on size of critter) and flip. Be sure to coat again when you flip it and then only cook as long as needed to make it safe. I don't like to overcook stuff (except pork which I cook longer) and got to keep the meat wet with that italian dressing and it should turn out pretty decent. The dressing prevents drying out and also the seasoning in the dressing really helps with taste. Not going to taste great mind you but will make pretty much anything taste better than eating it plain. If you are hiking, you can get those packets of italian dressing from many fast food joints and they work too and are easy to carry.

Works on dove too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]
oh man you missed a shot a Dinner Pic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't see the point in killing a snake that is beneficial.....

No problem with killing poisonous ones if close to where people are....but a non-poisonous one?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1087758&page=2

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My bad. I didn't think you'd enter it without guns, knives, bullets, napkins, booze. You got hammered there buddy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bad. I didn't think you'd enter it without guns, knives, bullets, napkins, booze. You got hammered there buddy.
I didn't take the picture or I would have.  Yeah, it didn't go well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top