Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 12:53:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I cut the roasts into 1" squares and can in quart jars with beef broth.  Tastes like roast beef.  I have found it's the best way to get my family to eat it!  Great w/bbq sauce and doesn't take up freezer space!
If you don't have one a pressure canner is a good investment and now would be a good time to get one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You remind me of someone...

Just kidding dude.  Nice job.  I really need to get out and do a guided hunt right away...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Bell "Blue Book of Canning" is considered by many to be the bible of food preservation.  In addition to canning, it covers freezing, pickling, and drying food, albeit in less depth.

It's a good place to start.

If you're looking for a pressure canner, I recommend an All-American.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey pal it is about time you get around to processing your own meat.

I started doing it again after processing fees hit $45.00 per deer just to cut them up. When I was a kid we used to cut up all our own deer. My daughter actually thinks it is fun to run the grinder all evening. When you cut up your own steaks and such you get the cut of meat exactly how you want it not the way someone else thinks you should have it.

I am also a fan of eating the actual deer I shot, not getting someone elses deer that they left laying in the bed of their pickup all afternoon in a rain shower. I saw one deer at the processors that when they pulled the hide off it was actually green.

ETA: rifle season starts on Saturday here. The wife is already getting the wrapping supplies out and ready.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Bell "Blue Book of Canning" is considered by many to be the bible of food preservation.  In addition to canning, it covers freezing, pickling, and drying food, albeit in less depth.

It's a good place to start.

If you're looking for a pressure canner, I recommend an All-American.

big plus 1 to that. its a good book. we have learned a lot from that book and canned a lot of stuff.

stuck
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice deer man!  Thanks for the write up on the knife.  I will have to check one out.  I'm not having the same luck as you with the deer, and our rifle season ends this weekend out in CA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
DIRT CHEAP??????????????

I see at least  50 dollars worth of knife, 750 dollars worth of rifle/scope.  That heater thingy, not to mention 250 dollars worth of hunting clothes, etc..

Might want to reconsider that Dirt Cheap meat idea.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
DIRT CHEAP??????????????

I see at least  50 dollars worth of knife, 750 dollars worth of rifle/scope.  That heater thingy, not to mention 250 dollars worth of hunting clothes, etc..

It gets cheaper every time you use it.  If you consider how much beef costs these days, he still probably didn't do that bad.  I'm also willing to bet that this isn't the first year he used most of that stuff.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Headed to the lease this weekend. No luck on the deer yet. I have been wanting to process my own for sometime, just haven't thought how to go about it. Congatulations on a good hunt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
+1

Got one so far this year.  Can get 9 more by the middle of January.  One year we didn't even buy beef, because we lived off of deer meat.  Now if I can only get the garden and canning to that level I can skip the grocery store altogether.  

But then there's toilet paper
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Great writeup, thanks for the post!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://blogalice.com/files/pyle.jpg

Just kidding dude.  Nice job.  I really need to get out and do a guided hunt right away...

I though the exact same thing when I saw this pic:

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
ROFL!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#16]
nice post dude.
not a bad buck, lots o grub there.
We have 3 does (youth hunt, pop control and a 125 hog) so far
No Mr Big yet, maybe this weekend
Been cuttin my own for years, its 75.00 here crazy
Vacuum packers are great.
but freezer paper is cheap
Harbor frieght has a cheapass food grinder, mine has lasted 3 years. like 19.99 i think
Way ta go!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#17]
To gut a deer with a regular knife: lay the deer on it's back, spread the rear legs, slice the skin in the rear leg crotch. Insert first 2 fingers of weak side hand into slit palm up, place knife blade between the 2 fingers sharp side up, fingers and knife under the skin, push knife and fingers toward chest on up to the throat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#19]
last i noticed, dirt got really expensive according to one company that likes to price stuff just below dirt.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#20]
What frustrates me the most about deer season is I wash my clothes in uncented detergent, use unscented soap and deordorant, unscented bug spray, keep my hunting clothes in a bag with pine needles, sneak out to my stand an hour before first light even thinks about showing and right before it's game on, it's all I can do not to shit my pants climbing down from the stand while high stepping and take a wicked dump at the bottom.

Laugh all you want, you sumbitches have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#22]
You processing your deer...My hats off to you...I do that also. That is the only way togo. You Rule Dude.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
DIRT CHEAP??????????????

Yeah but it can be done with a 15$ Remington knife, a 135$ rifle (think No4mk1 with the micrometer sight, you Americans must have an equivalent cheap yet sturdy gun) and normal clothes...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Good on you iNuhBaDNayburhood

In all my years, I could never understand anyone that could shoot an animal
and then have to have someone else turn it into food for them.

GM
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://blogalice.com/files/pyle.jpg

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's the doe I shot last sat. morning as I was walking to my hunting spot.  I was only about 150 yards from my house when I shot it(.243win).  

I processed it my self(for the first time) and came away with about 35 pounds of meat all together(vac sealed).  Not sure if I'll try to butcher one myself again or not as it took me most of last sunday to cut it up.  I suppose it gets easier with practice, but boy did that kick my ass.   I may try for another one this weekend since there's a bit more room in the freezer.  My wife bought me the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachments for the mixer, so it looks like I'll be making some burger and sausage soon.  I'll be making jerky out of a couple of the roasts as well.

Second pic is the fried-up heart that I had for lunch...delicious.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top