Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2021 10:19:53 PM EDT
I'm just getting back into ham radio after not doing much with it after I got my tech license a decade ago. I recently had to renew my tech and it prompted me to pick it up again. I needed some incentive to study for my general, so I thought I'd buy a HF radio and antenna and start listening and learning while I studied.

Sometimes I go a little overboard. In the last month I've bought a used FT-857D, new FT-991A, eBay used TS-590SG and a few others are on the way. I figured I'd play with them a little and then sell what I don't want, need or like.

After a couple of weeks of radios stacked on top of each other on my work desk I bought a cheap little shelving unit to get better organized. That was two weeks ago.

I've realized that this hobby is going to stick, so I'm getting set up the way I want and thought I'd share some pics.

Parts are rolling in and I'm doing some fit testing now, but I'll update this thread as I go along.

Go Box

Build List

VaultX 6U Rack Air-tight, Water-sealed ABS Case

2U Drawer

1U Blank for Coax Patch Panel

CyberPower PDU

1U Shelf

LMR-400 Patch Cable 1'

RG-8U 1' Patch Cable

PowerWerx 30A Power Supply

West Mountain Radio RigRunner 4004 USB

PL-259 Bulkhead

FT-991A ALL-BAND, MULTIMODE PORTABLE TRANSCEIVER

MLS-100 Mobile Speaker

Kenwood TM-V71A

Wall Rack

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm just getting back into ham radio after not doing much with it after I got my tech license a decade ago. I recently had to renew my tech and it prompted me to pick it up again. I needed some incentive to study for my general, so I thought I'd buy a HF radio and antenna and start listening and learning while I studied.

Sometimes I go a little overboard. In the last month I've bought a used FT-857D, new FT-991A, eBay used TS-590SG and a few others are on the way. I figured I'd play with them a little and then sell what I don't want, need or like.

After a couple of weeks of radios stacked on top of each other on my work desk I bought a cheap little shelving unit to get better organized. That was two weeks ago.

I've realized that this hobby is going to stick, so I'm getting set up the way I want and thought I'd share some pics.

Parts are rolling in and I'm doing some fit testing now, but I'll update this thread as I go along.

Go Box

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/3F12712E-E264-4EF0-AAAC-E47B91FA24F3-1860465.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/E3801115-F52D-43D7-85C6-A7BB00C61501-1860467.jpg

Wall Rack

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83116/686D667F-E4EA-4CB1-A3AD-2848E614AF00-186-1860471.jpg
View Quote

I'm not sure if your antenna is up yet and if you are up and running, if so, how is the TS-590SG vs the FT-991A?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure if your antenna is up yet and if you are up and running, if so, how is the TS-590SG vs the FT-991A?
View Quote

I've just got a G5RV temped up only about 15' off the ground, so I haven't gotten very deep into listening yet and I can't easily A/B them yet, but so far I prefer the 991. I have a RSP1A coming for the 590 and that's really the reason I got it was to play with that. So far, I think the 991A is an awesome rig. It seems to receiver better than the 590 and it's smaller and half the weight. I'll probably sell the 590 and do something different for my base station, but I'll keep the 991 until it gives me problems. If I were to pay new prices and get one or the other right now for my 1 HF radio, I'd do the 991A hands down.

ETA

I did take the lids off of the TS-590SG to inspect for damage since it was an eBay purchase. I will say that it is beautifully built and constructed and the documentation from Kenwood (owners manual, enhanced owners manual and schematics) are really good. Not too many companies have their schematics right on their user facing webpage and I took note and appreciated that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've just got a G5RV temped up only about 15' off the ground, so I haven't gotten very deep into listening yet and I can't easily A/B them yet, but so far I prefer the 991. I have a RSP1A coming for the 590 and that's really the reason I got it was to play with that. So far, I think the 991A is an awesome rig. It seems to receiver better than the 590 and it's smaller and half the weight. I'll probably sell the 590 and do something different for my base station, but I'll keep the 991 until it gives me problems. If I were to pay new prices and get one or the other right now for my 1 HF radio, I'd do the 991A hands down.

ETA

I did take the lids off of the TS-590SG to inspect for damage since it was an eBay purchase. I will say that it is beautifully built and constructed and the documentation from Kenwood (owners manual, enhanced owners manual and schematics) are really good. Not too many companies have their schematics right on their user facing webpage and I took note and appreciated that.
View Quote

Good to read!  I look forward to reading your thoughts on the two in a couple of months after you have everything set up just the way you want it.  Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]
After some test fitting and measuring got the backboard and wall rack mounted up.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you are making progress!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice

Those are some good radios you have there.  Good luck with the general!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking good man!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Power distribution came in today

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Making a coax entry plate. Couldn’t find something commercially.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Working on bonding and coax entrance plate mounted to rack.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
SDRPlay came in today. This is one cool piece of tech!

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Which app is that?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which app is that?
View Quote

SDRuno connected to an SDRPlay RSP1A. Super simple, connects to computer via USB and to the TS-590SG DRV antenna output. I dig it.

There are a lot of knock-offs. Here's a link to the legit RSP1A.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SDRplay-RSP1A-1kHz-2000Mhz-Wideband-SDR-Receiver/233332258959?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.sdrplay.com/

Plenty of YouTube videos as well. It's gonna be a great tool at the shack for finding traffic and listening.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Which app is that?
View Quote

I have no experience with it, but it looks like SDRUno from SDRPlay:

https://www.sdrplay.com/docs/SDRplay_SDRuno_User_Manual.pdf

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks.  The only USB / SDR devices I have 'looked at' have been the RTL-SDR RTL2832U V3 and the Hack RF 1.  Will have to read about the SDRplay RSP1A now...

Options are a good thing, usually.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

If you drop the rf gain a bit, you'll lose a lot those garbage spikes.

I love the fact you can have multiple receivers going at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you drop the rf gain a bit, you'll lose a lot those garbage spikes.

I love the fact you can have multiple receivers going at the same time.
View Quote

Thank you, I'm still learning how to use RF gain and filtering to dig out weak signals, but mostly I need to improve my antenna situation. This weekend hopefully!
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Passed my general!! Woot
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Passed my general!! Woot
View Quote

WTG!!!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Passed my general!! Woot
View Quote

the TS-590 is a wonderful radio, it deserves to be on a desk where you can comfortably control it, not in a 19" rack.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/eD2xZM5.jpg
the TS-590 is a wonderful radio, it deserves to be on a desk where you can comfortably control it, not in a 19" rack.

View Quote

I’m strongly considering upgrading to a FT DX 3000d
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Discontinued
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#25]
DX Engineering still has some for almost half of what MSRP was new
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My son and I both have the FTDX3000.  Great radio.  If something happened to mine I would try to get another one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DX Engineering still has some for almost half of what MSRP was new
View Quote

Hmmmmm, I'm half tempted to grab one of the last ones as a backup for my current one.  Same thing I did when the IC-7200 was discontinued.  You can't have too many good radios.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My son and I both have the FTDX3000.  Great radio.  If something happened to mine I would try to get another one.
View Quote

Do you use the antenna out to run an SDR by chance? I have questions..
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do you use the antenna out to run an SDR by chance? I have questions..
View Quote

Nope.  I've never used and barely heard of SDRs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nope.  I've never used and barely heard of SDRs.
View Quote

Ok, thanks. Details on your go box? Looks similar to mine!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ok, thanks. Details on your go box? Looks similar to mine!
View Quote

Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#32]
It’s coming together! The TS-590SG, but I felt like the FT-991A sounded better, had a better receiver and had a way better DSP and filtering system, so I decided on a FT DX 3000D for my main base HF rig. I have a FT-897D coming for my backup rig and for VHF SSB at the base and I got a FTM-300DR for the main base VHF/UHF/Fusion. I’m gonna be happy with this setup I think. Just gotta get some more antennas up and get the install cleaned up.

Kiddo helping me out the MFJ cobwebb together. Can’t wait to see how it does on the upper HF bands.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Finally finishing up the go box. I’m pretty happy with it and can’t wait to get it out and about. My 20Ah LiFePo4 battery fits in it, so gonna order a WMR Epic PWRGate and be truly portable.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#34]
WOW!

I’d be jealous as heck if I knew what all I was looking at!

Starting with the go-box:

What kind of box?
How did you fab the coax strip for all the antennas (maybe that was only on the cabinet, but I thought I saw it on the go-box also)?

I got an RTLSDR dongle, but don’t know how to use it (aside from using the rabbit ears that came with it to listen to FM radio ).  Any links to resources on how to use it properly?

Studying for my general now, but am an electronic idiot on training wheels.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
WOW!

I’d be jealous as heck if I knew what all I was looking at!

Starting with the go-box:

What kind of box?
How did you fab the coax strip for all the antennas (maybe that was only on the cabinet, but I thought I saw it on the go-box also)?

I got an RTLSDR dongle, but don’t know how to use it (aside from using the rabbit ears that came with it to listen to FM radio ).  Any links to resources on how to use it properly?

Studying for my general now, but am an electronic idiot on training wheels.

Thanks.
View Quote

Parts List added for the go box in the OP. I'm changing out the PS and adding a WMR Epic PWRGate as I found that my LiFePo4 battery fits in this. I wasn't really planning on having a battery in this box, but it adds to the capability. I'll add the details for this when I get it done.

The coax patch panel I made in about 20 minutes with the 1U blank panel, the PL259 bulk heads and a unibit.

I have an SDRPlay RSP1A and I connect it to the RF Output on my Yaesu FT DX 3000D. When you're shopping for a HF rig, some have some sort of antenna output that you can share with a SDR and some don't.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for answering, and for the parts list.  I like what you’re building.  I have a need/want for a portable setup to go in a cabin, I might try something very similar.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:58:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks for answering, and for the parts list.  I like what you’re building.  I have a need/want for a portable setup to go in a cabin, I might try something very similar.
View Quote

This go box is going to live in my garage for now for easy loading in the truck where I already have a shelf in the camper for it. It would be perfect for a cabin too, even if you had to ATV or boat to a remote cabin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I got my PWRGate and adjustable PS in. Just gotta figure out how to mount the battery now and I'm done for now. Can't wait to get it out and about.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top