Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2007 12:08:40 PM EDT
I purchased the RAT-7 1095 Plain Edge from Cumberland Knife Works.  To my door it cost me $87.69, not too shabby when most places are selling it for right at $100 before shipping.

The first thing I noticed was that the utility pouch on the sheath was closed with a slide release buckle, which I prefer much more than vlecro and slightly more than a snap.  In the pictures I have seen the supplied sheath had a snap closure.   I had ordered a Spec-ops Survival sheath to replace this one, but once I noticed this buckel I immediately called LA Police Gear and canceled that order (since it was backordered anyway it wasn't a problem).  I have been told that the supplied sheath is a Spec-Ops sheath designed for the RAT-7 line of knives, i do not know how true this is, but it my initial impression is that it is a quality, durable sheath.  It has a kydex liner I believe to prevent penetration of the blade through the sheath.  The utility pouch will most likely house my US BlastMatch, and other bare necessities for survival.

On to the knife.  It was everything I had expected it to be.  The knife fit my hand like a glove, and I felt like I was holding a chunk of steel ( I know it is steel, but I mean it felt like it was of good quality).  The blade is sharp and then handle is lightly textured micarta which seems like it will offer a better grip to a sweaty or wet hand.  You can just tell that you are handling something that is going to hold up to most of the abuse you could put it though, within reason.

The only con that I can see thusfar is the adjuster loop on the strap that holds the knife in the sheath.  The adjuster loop is metal and rides just on the edge of the handle, which over time, may wear on the edge of the micarta.  I will keep an eye on this; and if it begins to become a problem I will order the sheath that I just canceled (it is really just a reason to order more gear)

All in all, I am very pleased with this purchase.  I will do a more indepth review on my next camping/hiking trip and abuse it a little to see how she holds up.  Here are a couple of quick pictures that I took right after opening the box.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a damn good price, I have been seeing the Rat series selling on the net for really cheap prices.  I am guessing it is because Ontario is no longer going to be carrying them.  Regardless I hear that is a really nice blade. I am waiting to get my hands on the new RC3 from ratcutlery.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the  looks of this, but I wonder how the blade feels. 1095 is inexpensive steel. With a flat grind, it's kind of obvious that they didn't spend much on the blade. The canvas micarta grips, OTOH, are probably pretty expensive to produce.

Their priorities seem to be a little out of balance, so I'd like to hear how the edge really is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe they make that same blade with D2 as well
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the RAT-7 and the RTAK.  They both work really well.  I have more field time with the RTAK but the RAT-7 still holds its own.  The flat grind is easyto keep sharp in the woods IMHO.  I also dremeled a socket into the Micarta grip to use for Bow and drill fire starting.  I like them as camp knives, but I do notice the weight when I hike with it.

I like 1095 for working blades.  I have heard stories and seen pictures of broken D2 blades. particularly when using the baton method of splitting wood.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
That price is hard to beat! In fact it sounded so good I was forced to pick one up for myself!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That is a damn good price, I have been seeing the Rat series selling on the net for really cheap prices.  I am guessing it is because Ontario is no longer going to be carrying them.  Regardless I hear that is a really nice blade. I am waiting to get my hands on the new RC3 from ratcutlery.

Where did you hear that from?  Ontario is going to continue to produce the RAT line.  Jeff just decided to start a new line of knives...

`45
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my RAT-7, but the sheath that comes with it is a serious piece of shit.
I replaced mine with one of those Spec-ops super sheaths. far better construction, and far more useful.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you hear that from?  Ontario is going to continue to produce the RAT line.  Jeff just decided to start a new line of knives...

`45

Ontario Knives was tits-up last I heard. (Bankruptcy)
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Eh, no.  You're probably thinking of Camillus.

`45
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh, no.  You're probably thinking of Camillus.

`45

I stand (sit, actually) corrected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top