Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 9:36:49 PM EDT
So I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a couple gas masks in the house just in case of an emergency.  I've experienced CS in the military and pepper spray while a LEO and I don't want to ever deal with those, or worse, again.  So here's my question...there's a myriad of different models out there with a myriad of prices.  Obviously I want something that works and is dependable but I can't afford $300 gas masks either.  What brand/model would be the best choice for the price?  All I know is it should accept 40mm filters, after that my knowledge of gas masks is very little.  Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated...thanks, Brandi
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know this as well...
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Galls catalog.
They have different mask for different threats.
To be completely protected. you would need an NBC suite,
probably several of them, along with decontamination supplies.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What is your life worth?  I recommend the Advantage 1000.

http://www.galls.com/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=TE057
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I've gone through NBC training in the military and hold a Firefighter Instructor II certification so I'm well aware of situational dangers and equipment maintenance.

I'm just trying to find the best gear available currently that isn't crazy expensive.  I've heard people say "how much is your life worth?" before but that doesn't always cover things.  I can buy a $2,500 FN SCAR 17 to use as a home defense gun or I can buy a $750 AR15 which can do everything it's needed for at less than half the cost.  I don't trust my life to crappy equipment nor do I run out and buy the most expensive thing on the market because just because it's the most expensive.

I was leaning towards MSA since it's a manufacturer I'm familiar with. Just wanted some information from people that might have experience buying gas masks recently.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
MSA makes one, I think it's called Advantage. I have one, and I like it because it has a full eyeshield, instead of split eyes. I'm not sure if I'm describing that correctly. It has one piece glass/plastic eye-hole, instead of two separate bug-eye holes. For me, it has a much higher field of view and I can operate much more effectively.

I would relate it to closer to an SCBA mask than to an M40.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the mil m-40....search a little, this has been flogged with regularity.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
MSA, Scott, Advantage, North, Millennium, and 3M all make good products.  
M-40's are great if you can find them cheap and in good shape, but they are clunky compared to the new style NBC masks.  They are also $4-500 brand new still. Looks liek when a company puts "CBRN" in the name they can get a few more bucks out of it!

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top