Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2013 11:09:50 AM EDT
I caught an episode of this a while back, kind of a neat premise. Was a PBS documentary/social experiment/reality show type of thing where they took 3 families, put them through some rudimentary training then put them in Montana for 5 months to live like pioneers. Build a cabin, raise livestock, plant crops, etc. Goal was to be prepared to survive the coming winter, and they had experts come in and evaluate them at the end. Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity, but good watch. I think there were only like 4 episodes, so it's watchable.

Anyhow, thought I'd bring it up again since I spotted it on the program guide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
They've done several similar series on the same premise. Texas Ranch House, 1900 House,  etc.  Also check out Wartime Farm, it deals with farming during WW2 Britain. It has historians going back and living as if it were that era, so there's less drama and more history and how-to.

I don't know how often they get replayed on TV, but I've found them all available on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I caught an episode of this a while back, kind of a neat premise. Was a PBS documentary/social experiment/reality show type of thing where they took 3 families, put them through some rudimentary training then put them in Montana for 5 months to live like pioneers. Build a cabin, raise livestock, plant crops, etc. Goal was to be prepared to survive the coming winter, and they had experts come in and evaluate them at the end. Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity, but good watch. I think there were only like 4 episodes, so it's watchable.

Anyhow, thought I'd bring it up again since I spotted it on the program guide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Per my DTV all episodes are going to be on back to back on 8/22.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity,
View Quote
I would say mostly stupid.

none of them would have made it

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Stupid or not - I only caught part of one episode before; thanks for the heads up OP.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#6]
It's worth watching once.  Some interesting things and displays of how tough some things are.

Some of the participants spent too much time talking in my opinion, trying to make drama.

The similar show with the whole village of folks doing East Coast "dropped off by the company" colonists was pretty good.

Don't bother with 1800 house or victorian house or whatever.  Strictly a women's drama show with an odd premise backdrop.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some eye-rolling moments of stupidity,

Link Posted: 8/16/2013 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC...they were not allowed to take period firearms.....and didn't a bear walk into one of the family's front yards?
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It was a better, and uncut for commercials, show on PBS.  Thought it was really interesting at the time.  I tend to agree that none of the families would have made it intact through even a mild winter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also check out Wartime Farm, it deals with farming during WW2 Britain. It has historians going back and living as if it were that era, so there's less drama and more history and how-to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Also check out Wartime Farm, it deals with farming during WW2 Britain. It has historians going back and living as if it were that era, so there's less drama and more history and how-to.

It is sad they haven't learned from history when it comes to domestic food production.

http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/issue/uk.html

But although the UK has a thriving farming sector – it exported £12Bn of food and drink in 2007 (ref 2) – Britain is not self-sufficient in food production; it imports 40% of the total food consumed and the proportion is rising (ref 1). Therefore, as a food-trading nation, Britain relies on both imports and thriving export markets to feed itself and drive economic growth.

If not for our huge land mass available for farming I am sure we would be in the same condition.

I mainly wonder how well we would do with more traditional farming methods.  I question if we could feed ourselves much less act as a "supermarket to the world".
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wish it would come back on pbs..we ditched cable.
View Quote

We have cable, but evidently not that channel.  

I did a search and found in the listings, then set it up to DVR them all - only to find out the channel doesn't work for us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top