Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 4:00:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
1989 ! heck I don't think I have any underwear that new.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bare with me here guys, though I'm older, this all new to me.  

My son just turned 18 this year, graduated high school, and started college.  For a graduation present, dad gave him my 1989 Dakota Sport 4x4 with factory light bar.  His screen name is "BillytheKid".  Kept in pristine shape, the Kid just loves the truck and its a hit with all his friends.  Dad has agreed to pay his tuition and buy his books in college with the stipulation I'm not paying if he's either bombing or the classes aren't headed towards a degree.  The other stipulation is I'm not paying for anything else.  Needless to say like most of us going through the same thing even with part time jobs in such, he's always in the need for money especially gas money.  

Well its gas rotation time on my prep gas, and other than a small street trail bike, ATV, and lawnmower all my vehicles are multiport fuel injected or diesel.  It would take me forever to rotate it out.  His is a throttle body so done right, mixed with fresh gas 50/50 with a bottle of gas treatment and rotating a full tank of fresh gas between mixed, he should have no issues.  He's using my gas so I can rotate and paying back with some labor beyond his normal chores.  

Works for me.  

BTW, I was pretty proud I only had to make the offer once to him and the next thing I know he's got a Jerry can in the back of his truck siphoning the gas in.  Before he started driving, I had made the same offer even without a trade to his friends with no takers.  I'm talking kids living in basements just starting life driving cars with carboraters and barely putting food on the table.  I don't know why, someone looks a gift horse in the mouth, I'm not pushing the gift horse, but I will say this someone offered me 20 gallons of gas when I was a kid, I'd been on it like bees to honey.  Could be they don't understand the whole add Stabil gas storage need to rotate thing or could be (most likely) they are downright boggled by putting gas in a car from a can.  Now free cash, Katy bar the door.  

As a general comment on these kids, they quite frankly blow my mind.  My son has a very diverse set of friends and they seem to run from so lazy they'd rather starve than lift a finger to highly motivated would shovel horse crap on the side to make a dime with other than my son, none in between.  Having all grown up together just based on frequency, its also apparent they are starting to go their separate ways without any hard feelings, those of like mindsets seeing more of each other.  Their different social status always did blow my mind for they ranged from let's go shoot a deer to let's go the library and no mom or dad to professionals with everything in between.  I guess my son's clique has always been no clique types.  

I still have high hopes for this younger generation, which I think of as the Playstation generation.  Though they seem to have their share of wouldn't work in a pie factory which I guess all generations did, they certainly are not as much the "Me" generation.  Just an observation.

Tj

I was on a job for the money that I needed, it was below my technical capabilities, but simply put I was working as a cable puller.
The first day of pulling at least 1000ft fiiber optic cable, well I had an Army Reserve guy, I had been talking to him during the morning
about his career choices, reemployment, based on a congressional law, told him to check into it.  He didn't seem motivated about getting
reemployed with the same company he complained about them not rehiring him after he returned from Iraq. hmm...hmm anyway
he quit after the first day and in the middle of the pull complained about being tired, the pay wasn't worth it.  He was 25.  The next
day, I was with this 34 year old, we had a second pull the next day, keep in mind you pull 1000 feet of bulline, then you get the fiber head,
have to pull it too.  Anyway he was complaining about his back being sore.   I had told them both, wait till you hit 50.

Well the owner of this company was in the manhole pulling fiber.  Of course he was making big bucks on this job.  But I liked his attitude.

This was work compared to what you were doing TJ, I cannot believe no one would take your 10 gallons of fuel.  I would have. Would have
offered you something for it.

I don't know about this younger generations...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
by the thread title I was expecting a dinner pic..

CHEF
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Douglas! –– That's just wrong man  I thought TJ would have BTK pulling a plow to give the mule a break.

TJ I bet a lot of the kids have no understanding of getting gas from a can.  Bless their hearts.

Just curious is the the rig that hauled BTK home from the hospital after delivery?  I recall that you used this one to get to the hospital, if I got the story straight.

ETA
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That's real cool TJ.  I wish BTK the best in school.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Being part of this "younger generation" turned 21 in july....

I look at it like this:

MTV kids-  Kids that make a point to watch mtv and shows of the same production quality  (reality TV was born here) also Nickalodeon(sp?).

Non MTV kids-  Generally watched TLC, History, Discovery, CToon Network, Growing up.

so anyway if you have a kid that is stuck in mtv land you might want to smash the tv....

On a side note

Strange epiphany about this TV played a major role in my upbringing as well as most I know and the cartoons have changed, you will be hard pressed to ever find bugs n friends on tv anymore, also most of the cartoons I remember growing up where either of the looney toon type or extremely war oriented none of this mooshy metro japanese crap.

The Top Rated Ctoon Network show is Now TOTAL DRAMA ISLAND  (a fully animated reality TV cartoon based on survivor its on the programimg block for when kids get out of school.)

If you want to see the future look at the children......
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:29:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have been all over a free gas offer when I was a kid too. I have a soon to be 14 year old and my wife actually said these words to me....."we need to start thinking about buying him a car" to which my reply was "I'll help him make sure he doesn't get a lemon and gets a good car for HIS money, but he's going to work for it". I bought my first, second.....every car I've ever owned. I think it did a lot for my character to be forced to buy everything I've ever wanted myself and my three kids will learn those same lessons that I did. Sometimes you can't go out and get that latest greatest gadget because you have bills to pay.

I was happy to see you had him doing extra stuff for the gas.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Though they seem to have their share of wouldn't work in a pie factory which I guess all generations did, they certainly are not as much the "Me" generation.  Just an observation.

Tj

It's funny you used a pie factory as an example.  I happen to work in one.  In a town of about 50,000 it's by far the best job around. The only place better is the hospital, but you need a medical degree.

The thing about the work is it's hot, fast and good old fashioned MANUAL labor.  I'm a palleter, I stack boxes, about 4700,  20 pound boxes a day, 94000 pounds.  I love my job, it's easy and it pays good.  Averages about $17 an hour, overtime, good medical insurance, life insurance, pension, and one of the better, less abusive unions lookin out for ya.  In this world, a pretty damn good job.

Last year they hired 50 people, 10 quit in the first 2 days....all the youngest.  This year, when they hired, 800 people applied in 2 days, 9 got a job and 2 quit the first day, again the youngest........I guess McDonalds is better.

As a side note, the ole lady work's at McDonalds for a little extra money, and they'll work around the kids......It amazes me how many people are making a career out of it.  Some smart, decent people been there for 5 years plus, they get 9 bucks an hour, no benefits, and seem to think that being a "manager"  is the same as having a good job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top