Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2013 8:11:54 AM EDT
Do you guys "mix" your supplies or do you tend to buy from only one source?  How about you LDS canners.....do you guys buy the "retail" food prep buckets too?

Most important, have you ever found any sources or brands that are no good?  I don't test any of the preps I've bought (and I know this is anathama to some of you who store food).

What are your personal favorites?  I've ordered a couple pails from BJ's (they carry Augason farms).
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I found out that I don't like Spam, so I don't buy it anymore.  We stock, store and use the stuff we like.  I won't buy anything that I label "we'll eat it if we get hungry enough" or "I trade this at Barter Town for toilet paper." We eat too many things that we like to store something we hate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
definitely want to try what your storing

found a few things that arent appealing taste wise although if I were hungry enough that would work but why stock something you dont want to eat

armour treet comes to mind

great value(wm) potted meat

hormel completes-salty as hell

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
We don't really do buckets at our place.
We have one bucket with a gamma lid that we refill with sugar and use it as we need it.

We mainly store #10 cans because for the wife and me, it is a convenient size.
We have a pantry and as we use stuff we replace it.
We have really very little that we buy, store and never use.
The exception is canned butter and bacon, freeze dried fruits and meats.

We buy from several different places, depending on the product and price.

My wife does a lot of canning (pressure and water bath)

We like everything we have purchased from Augason Farms.
We do not store any freeze dried entrées.

Our plan is basically to be able to continue to eat as close to normal as possible.

For the record, Jalapeño Spam is really good.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Canning/storing/buying what we normally eat really isn't an option for us.  We're not vegan hipsters but we do eat 'very fresh'.  We tend to go to the store every couple of days.  Our meals generally consist of very fresh produce and if we eat meat that night it's pretty fresh.  We try not to eat red meat more then 2x weekly.  Usually 1 or 2 nights is fresh fish and 1 or 2 nights is chicken.  I don't eat 'canned' anything really.  Again, we're not snobby or hipsters.....we just eat fresh stuff.

So "rotation" isn't much of an option.

That said, having been to a "certain school" (see avatar) I know that when you are hungry, you will eat what you have.

Thanks for the answers BTW.  I think I'm gonna try to "add some variety" to the stock.  One of the reasons I like the buckets/pail BTW is a worst case Bug Out scenario, it's easy to throw a couple in the vehicle really quick.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Canning/storing/buying what we normally eat really isn't an option for us.  We're not vegan hipsters but we do eat 'very fresh'.  We tend to go to the store every couple of days.  Our meals generally consist of very fresh produce and if we eat meat that night it's pretty fresh.  We try not to eat red meat more then 2x weekly.  Usually 1 or 2 nights is fresh fish and 1 or 2 nights is chicken.  I don't eat 'canned' anything really.  Again, we're not snobby or hipsters.....we just eat fresh stuff.

So "rotation" isn't much of an option.

That said, having been to a "certain school" (see avatar) I know that when you are hungry, you will eat what you have.

Thanks for the answers BTW.  I think I'm gonna try to "add some variety" to the stock.  One of the reasons I like the buckets/pail BTW is a worst case Bug Out scenario, it's easy to throw a couple in the vehicle really quick.

We eat fresh as well.
We buy very little canned goods and my wife loves to cook. - Last canned goods we bought was canned pumpkin for pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.
We don't use canned soups or chili. - my wife makes everything from scratch.
We do use canned tuna - sometimes.

What we rotate through are things like rice, beans, pasta, wheat and oats.
These are dry goods at the store, so they are already good for LTS and buying in bulk makes it cheaper also.

We grind our wheat berries into flour for baking or make our own cream of wheat cereal.
Homemade bread made from fresh ground wheat is the bomb. Tastes better than the empty calories of white bread bought at the store.

The canned butter, canned bacon and freeze dried meats are for emergency use if we cannot get to the store.
Freeze dried fruits and dehydrated veggies are for if we are unable to get fresh from the store or our garden.
They are expensive, so we don't use them much, except to check to make sure they are still good. Open a can once a year or so.

Dehydrated fruits make nice snacks now and have a fairly good shelf life when packed in #10 cans w/O2 absorbers.

As for canning,
If you have never had homemade preserves, you are missing out. Cheaper and better than anything you can buy at the store (even smuckers)
No preservatives.
My wife makes and cans things like apple pie filling and she can whip up an apple pie with the flour I grind really quick.

Green coffee beans store well, we roast them weekly and grind them fresh everyday for our coffee. - we keep a years supply of green coffee beans on hand, replace them as we use them.
Not only are they better than store bought, but also cheaper.
My wife loves Coffeemate. So we store about a years supply and buy a new jug every time we open a new one.

We will occasionally eat Spam, but we mostly store it for times when we might not be able to get to the store.

We drink fresh milk, but have some Morning Moos and Non-Fat powdered milk stored for emergency use - cooking and drinking.
and we did a lot of testing before we found milk we could agree to store.
I am not a big believer of storing stuff that tastes like crap, but if you are hungry enough it will do.
I have the time and resources to do my testing now.

ETA: Being able to enjoy a BLT sandwich between zombie attacks...... priceless.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I can (bucket) my own beans, rice, corn, salt and sugar and potatoes.
Bought wheat from waltons in buckets LDS in cans, and did some myself.  ditto for oats, rye, buckweat, barley
Spices, nuts, candy form sams and into mason jars
MH for entrees and meats
Couple of cases of MREs
Crisco form Sams, butter flavored crisco from grocery
Bear creek (I think thats the brand) soup mix packaged into mason jars.
canned bacon and cheese form survival dealers
Canned chicken from Sams
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top