Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2007 6:15:07 PM EDT
OK, provided I have several protective masks that all are new/unissused, i.e. hold an airtight seal, would a filter designed for most NBC situations be okay just for CN/CS if it expired less than a year ago?   Im only asking because a buddy of mine, who just got out of the marines said that they frequently trained with expired filters during NBC training, which of coure uses CN/CS gas.....

Any ideas?
I can get these filters for a 1/3 the prices as new unexpired filters....

Thanks for any responses....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not an authoritative source on this but I had similar experiences in the Army. In Basic they use/re-use those masks with the same filters over and over for the privates and run them through the gas chamber every 10 weeks or so - and we all know that the levels of CS in the chamber is off the charts compared to a canister or two popping in an open, windy environment.

I cant cite a specific source but I have heard and read that filtering CS/CN wasn't a huge issue like a true NBC environment and 'used' NBC filters will last a long time for CS/CN. Other than my basic training example I cant provide much direct help.

I would feel pretty comfortable with a reasonably old/used/opened NBC filter (military grade C2A1) for "just" CS/CN but like I said - I am far from being an authority.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your response.  I too was in Army basic training, unfortunately never looked that close at the expiration of the filter.  I was more concerned what we were going to have to eat that day at the mess hall LOL.  But like my buddy explained it, because the particles for CN/CS are so big, these filters are still capable of protection from these agents.  All I need is the CN/CS protection, because I dont have the equipment to detect NBC enviroments.  Thank you again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top