Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2010 7:21:51 AM EDT
I love them and dont understand why so many look down on them for a good source of tasty meat.  I have been eating them all my life and I am 42.  They are easy and fun to hunt, easy to skin and clean and have a good little pelt on them.

If you guys have not tried them, you should.  Scout out your area for the different types of Squirrel you have in your A.O. and take your kids hunting with you. They will love you for it, trust me.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had squirrel and dumplings before. It was quit good. Tasted like Chicken, meat was just a little tougher.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my earliest 'hunting' memories is cleaning squirrels.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My first hunting experience was with squirrels.  It's good entry level hunting and good stewardship because you are shooting for food.

Oddly, I live in the country and see few squirrels while my Dad who lives in town is overrun with them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My first hunting experience was with squirrels.  It's good entry level hunting and good stewardship because you are shooting for food.

Oddly, I live in the country and see few squirrels while my Dad who lives in town is overrun with them.

I think thats because of the lack of predators in the City.  Its the same where I live in the Mountains of NH and where my parents live in the woods of Virginia.  If I drive to Boston I see homeless people feeding them from their laps.

And you are 100% right, its the best entry level hunting you can bring your kids into and its good fun for dad too. :)
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
you got any good receipes?
I had them when I was growing up, tough as a lightered knot, guess it was the way they were cooked.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Used to hunt them with my G-pop, was the first game I ever took.  Used to grill them over an open flame.  Good eats!.

stasiman
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had them when I was growing up, tough as a lightered knot, guess it was the way they were cooked.

I boil them low for about an hour to soften them up, then  batter and deep fry, put them in a bowl and hitting them with Buffalo sauce.  Sometimes I just deep fry them extra long "15 min" then eat them with beer. They are crispy and take away from the tough texture.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
i usually basted the ones i took in a very spicy and thick NC style BBQ sauce then slow cooked them on a spit over an open fire. save the heart when cleaning, it makes a tasty appatiser to cook up and munch on, in just a minute or two over the hot coals while the tree rat is cooking at a slower and lower temperature much higher above the coals...

ETA: if i wasn't ina hurry i'd sometimes saok them overnight in a vinegar and salt brine solution. "gamey taste" and all that aside(i like the "gamey taste"), it seemed to make the meat a little more tender, but i have no proof of it doing so...

K.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The gamey taste is what my wife has a problem with. wonder if soaking it in butter milk would help?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#10]
you can hunt them with a blowgun and some ora-gel.

it will numb your whole mouth for a minute....it will kill a squirrel....DRT....and safe to consume....

Grandma used to boil....skim grease....(add to skillet)....de-bone.....pan fry in HOT skillet...little butter if needed.....turn heat down.....flour and pepper......milk as needed.....salt.....add to biscuits....enjoy....
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The gamey taste is what my wife has a problem with. wonder if soaking it in butter milk would help?

You can hang and age them like you would a deer, for about 4 days in 35 to 40 degree temps.   This will help break the proteins down and take care of any gamey taste.  Plus they are what they eat.  I have had a few  that were a little nasty and I think might of got into a trash pile or something.  

Plus soaking them in the brine solution or a vinegar based marinade like was mentioned above helps as well I think.  They way I turn people onto it is tell them its Rabbit.  LOL.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had squirrel cooked all different ways and I've never really cared for it.

Rabbit on the other hand is pretty tasty
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Growing up we ate squirrel and rabbit all the time....Dad would come home with 6, 8, 10 of them at a time........I've always liked both...breaded and fried.....damn good.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I worry that in a "survival situation" the relative lack of fat might make them not all that great as a sole source of protein (i.e. "rabbit starvation"), but they're damned fine eating anyway.  I'm taking my 6 year old squirrel hunting pretty soon.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#15]
The only one I have gotten was a small one. Marble out of a slingshot, direct hit to the head, from 4 yards away. Tasted real good with some Italian seasoning on him over the campfire that night.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had squirrel and dumplings before. It was quit good. Tasted like Chicken, meat was just a little tougher.

YUMMY YUM YUM!!!

J-

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I worry that in a "survival situation" the relative lack of fat might make them not all that great as a sole source of protein (i.e. "rabbit starvation"), but they're damned fine eating anyway.  I'm taking my 6 year old squirrel hunting pretty soon.

mythbusters should do a show on this "rabbit starvation."  it isn't what it sounds like.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Mmmm...      Limb Chicken...           Mmmm...

zulu
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I just had some squirrel this weekend, matter-o-fact! Shot 'em last month and had them in the freezer.  Marinated overnight in pineapple juice, and coconut milk. I curried them, grilled them,  and served with basmati rice. You'd never know they were wild game at all.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
tag for more info
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
The main task of squirrel or rabbit meat is to make the vegetable mush edible.  Dunno if Mythbusters needs to do a show or if I've been misinformed all these years, but, to paraphrase my grandpa, "you can eat squirrel 'til you explode and starve to death."  Unless you added actual food to the mix and used the squirrel as "meat flavoring"

Rabbits aren't so simple.  Some of them will feed you well, others take more calories to chew than they impart when swallowed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Old guy that taught me to hunt tree rats showed me the musk glands under the armpits while we cleaned them one day. Remove the glands before cooking, soak in vinegar/water overnight(or not), then cut up into bite-sized morsels, marinate in a teriyaki or Allegro for a few hrs/overnight, wrap in a little bacon and grill it up! Sans bacon is good too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

mythbusters should do a show on this "rabbit starvation."  it isn't what it sounds like.

I know what rabbit starvation means.  I also know that it's very rare.  If one were to subsist on squirrels as a sole source of protein in a survival situation for an extended period, I would worry that you wouldn't be getting enough fat in your diet and might suffer health problems as a result (problems with vitamin absorption, for example).
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#24]
had them cooked with rice, gravey, macaroni, fried, batter fried, chicken fried, boiled, roasted, smoked, grilled, bbq'd, baked and stewed.

they taste aright anyway they're cooked.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow, you guys are really good at this stuff. I live in L.A.,  it is not so easy to hunt squirrels, the neighbors would probably call the PD, and they would send out a SWAT team to my place in a New York minute. I would probably starve in SHtF-scenario when the corner super market closes. The squirrels ate ALL of the persimmons off my tree, dog-gone pests, I wish I could shoot them, without suffering the "wrath."
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I boil them low for about an hour to soften them up, then  batter and deep fry, put them in a bowl and hitting them with Buffalo sauce.  Sometimes I just deep fry them extra long "15 min" then eat them with beer. They are crispy and take away from the tough texture.

hmmm....

I do them just the opposite way,  brown them in hot oil and then stew them in a simmering broth.  I will have to try what you suggest.

...but city squirrels???  uggg....  watching them climb out of the dumpsters with old diapers in their teeth  for nesting material...

Not unless I am really (I mean really) hungry.

Both my wife and I had parents that were teenagers in the Great Depression,  they ate all kinds of rodents for protein.  I would too.

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wow, you guys are really good at this stuff. I live in L.A.,  it is not so easy to hunt squirrels, the neighbors would probably call the PD, and they would send out a SWAT team to my place in a New York minute. I would probably starve in SHtF-scenario when the corner super market closes. The squirrels ate ALL of the persimmons off my tree, dog-gone pests, I wish I could shoot them, without suffering the "wrath."

Snares, my good man, snares......
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea. I think I am going to see this eagle scout, I hope he has snare experience. Those squirrels are so fat, they are having difficulty running fast. They have no known predators in my area, except for some stray cats that catch them everyone once in awhile.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea. I think I am going to see this eagle scout, I hope he has snare experience. Those squirrels are so fat, they are having difficulty running fast. They have no known predators in my area, except for some stray cats that catch them everyone once in awhile.

you understand of course that my advice was purely hypothetical, and that I would never advocate anything that could be against the law or in conflict with local sensitivities...

If you happened to put a small loop on an old shovel handle (so you can hang it in your garage, of course), and poor mr. treerodent just happened to run his little head through that loop when you left the shovel handle leaning against your persimmon tree, it'd be a tragic accident now wouldn't it....
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Nobody mentioned eating the brains yet. No zombie squirrel hunters around? My Mom used to love squirrel brains.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A scoped Ruger 77/22, loaded with CCI CB Longs would make the best-ever "city squirrel" rifle. Discreet and deadly.

With this setup, and the obvious need for concealment, you would be able to practice your stealth operations, and sniper abilities. I know this isn't a true Sarajevo-style silenced .22LR sniper rifle setup, but it'll set you to honing those skills big time. A valuable survival skill, and your getting rid of pests, right? Win/win.

Another thought...

If you ever get bored of the CB Longs, try an internet search on "glooblits" or wax bullets. Oh the fun NEVER ends!  

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
There was a recent article in Backwoods Home magazine about cooking tree rats.   Soaking the meat overnight in salt water is supposed to make it more tender.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm telling ya.....blow-gun and ora-gel.....easy kill.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nobody mentioned eating the brains yet. No zombie squirrel hunters around? My Mom used to love squirrel brains.

nope.... use the brains to tan the skin.....
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

fur coat for daughters barbie?
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fur coat for daughters barbie?

you so funny..... several put together makes nice mittens or cap or blanket(lotsoftreeratsforthis)....
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Fried squirrel, biscuits, and squirrel gravy.......................

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think thats because of the lack of predators in the City.  Its the same where I live in the Mountains of NH and where my parents live in the woods of Virginia.  If I drive to Boston I see homeless people feeding them from their laps.

Get a bird feeder, and you'll be over run by them :)

Might bring a nice bear every once in a while too.

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I have been enjoying squirrels all my life.  When the herd gets to large around my house,  I pop them with a pellet rifle, and we have Brunswick stew
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#43]
The simplest way to obtain squirrels meat for the cook pot is free to make (if you have some basic materials on hand) and cheap to bait.

Needed:
5 gallon bucket
water
any type of board that is maybe 3-4' feet long
a small amount of black oil sunflower seeds (or other seed that floats).

Set the bucket in your yard/property with about half of the bucket full of water

Set the board on the bucket as a ramp. make sure it is secure enough that its not gonna just wiggle free and fall if a squirrel crawls up the board/plank.

Gently set the sunflower seeds (un-husked) on the surface of the water covering the entire surface of the water with seeds. Set a few seeds on the plank and at the base of the ramp to entice the squirrels to seek more.

Walk away. Go shooting, frisk your wife, eat a sammich, have a beer, and check arfcom, Check the trap later. Change out the water/seeds as necessary.

The squirrels will think they have found a ramp to a bucket full of seeds, not a water trap. They will fall in and drown.

This trap works great for suburban areas where squirrels are abundant and predators are few.

My FIL and I made a water trap like this to rid his garden of squirrels and chipmunks. We got 4 squirrels and 6 chipmunks in the span of a 2 day weekend before we stopped because we had to many to deal with.

Check your local regs, laws, etc and keep small children away.

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#44]
What ever happened to the thread about the squirrel snaring?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Can you post a good youtube link that shows how to skin, field dress, and prepare them?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Can you post a good youtube link that shows how to skin, field dress, and prepare them?  Thanks.

Seriously?

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What ever happened to the thread about the squirrel snaring?

Are you thinking of the pic tutorial one of the natural trap made by stick and brush that created a trap that the squirrel couldn't get out of....maybe it was GD, I cannot remember, but the pics included dinner pics if I remember correctly. And a nosey neighbor got all butt hurt about the arfcommer killing God's small fury woodland dwelling creatures. Yeah, that was a great thread.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you post a good youtube link that shows how to skin, field dress, and prepare them? Thanks.

Seriously?

Your smacked ass response aside, the question asked for a GOOD youtube video.  There are lots of vids on everything...most are junk and perhaps the OP or you could hotlink a GOOD one?

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I had a pictorial in the small game forum I done a while back; my search fu is weak and I'm too lazy to look through the pages, but afaik it's there somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you post a good youtube link that shows how to skin, field dress, and prepare them? Thanks.

Seriously?

Your smacked ass response aside, the question asked for a GOOD youtube video.  There are lots of vids on everything...most are junk and perhaps the OP or you could hotlink a GOOD one?

Sorry you did not like my response, but the problem is, what I might consider a good process, someone else will not think it is good.
Good is highly subjective.
The best way is to watch several videos, try it yourself, and figure out what works best for you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top