Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2008 12:54:09 PM EDT
I just used my Wal-Mart e-tool (made in Taiwan) for the first time and it is already unserviceable. I need a tough e-tool for backpacking. Any recommendations? Anyone have experience with the glock one with the saw, or the gerber. Thank you for the help, FMJs-of-Freedom
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a Gerber folding shovel.  It's extremely rugged.  I haven't had to use it to its fullest extent yet, but I'm pretty confident it will hold up.  It also comes with a nice case that will clip to any belt or pack strap
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The Gerber e-tool is on sale at LA Police Gear for $29.99

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
My USGI tri fold has logged many a mile attached to my ruck, I have used it in a pinch as an Axe, Don't ask! the German Trifold is a very close second to the USGI, I have heard very good things about the Glock Spade and the Gerber...
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help. I was thinking about going with the gerber. The glock etool looked a little weak to me, I was wondering if the saw would even work or just break off. FMJs-of-Freedom
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have witnessed a Glock Tool and SAW in action and it worked fine...

I have also seen quite a few ChiCom E-Tools heads roll....
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't the gerber come with a plastic handle?  I have a USGI tri-fold e-tool I purchased from my local army surplus store, and it has been working well for me.  Feels sturdy and locks down well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Glock. I have two of them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
What are the Glock E-tools selling for now days ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Cold Steel Etool for the win.......very versatile..
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just used my Wal-Mart e-tool (made in Taiwan) for the first time and it is already unserviceable. I need a tough e-tool for backpacking. Any recommendations? Anyone have experience with the glock one with the saw, or the gerber. Thank you for the help, FMJs-of-Freedom

Don't get an e-tool. It's heavy and you want use it much. It really doesn't justify it's weight. Honestly it hasn't justifies it's weight since Vietnam

If you really need something for cat holes etc- get a U-dig-it

ETA: if this is more for a BOB or something- leave the pioneer tools to the farmers. You can find one when you need one. I can tell whether some are bugging out or prospecting
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What are the Glock E-tools selling for now days ?

The latest catalog I received from OMB Express had them listed for $36.00. I think anywhere from $30 - $40 seems to be the running price.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock etool is very rugged, the saw works...hmmm just ok.

BUT I've only used it on occasion and it's never justified the weight.
Get a fiskars/gerber folding saw and a good LanCay or Ka-bar like knife and you will be able to get the same results with less weight.

When I first started the survival mindset I read ALOT here, and weight was and is master. I had to "like many others" learn the hard way and man I'll tell you at one point 4 miles in to the forest in the water and mud with 65lbs on my back I about dropped that E-Tool and the axe I had!

JMO...
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was 11B the best E-tool was the GI one with the wood handle and fold out pick. Everyone wanted it over the tri-fold model.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#17]
For an e-tool I use the Gerber, I'm extremely happy with it. I've had two Type-56 usgi e-tool copies die horrible deaths.

But for backpacking, find a garden trowel that is sturdy and comfortable in your hand.
I recently acquired a Rothco stainless steel folding trowel fairly cheap, it has a thick wire handle that folds up.  It's light and a real space saver.

Otherwise the coleman orange plastic ones work well and are usually $.99-$1.50, just don't use them if the ground is frozen.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The Gerber e-tool is on sale at LA Police Gear for $29.99

Full-Auto

Thanks for the tip; I've been looking to pick up one of these.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya I forgot to say thanks also that where I got mine, havent recieved it yet. FMJs-of-Freedom
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I like the Cold steel SF shovel.  Own several and used them a lot(an aside you know there is hilly billy in your gene pool when 77 year old mom sees it in your car asks to look at it and the first thing she says is that would take a nice edge.........and then wants one for christmas.  And a year later wants 3 more one for each car/truck and one for around the house so she does not have to keep moving it around).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top