User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 7:48:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Our biggest issue was getting hot.  To keep the wiper blades free of ice (so I could see) I had to have the defroster on full heat.  If I lowered the heat the wiper blades would ice up and leave streaks right across my line of sight.  Blades are getting replaced today - we should have replaced them prior to our trip.

View Quote

I've experienced this problem a few times. What is the answer to the wiper blades and ice? Is there a secret to keeping them clear, or do you just have to get out and clean them off now and then?

It seems you would either have to leave the heat off so the snow doesn't melt and then refreeze on the wiper, or try to get your windshield so hot that the heat tansfers to the wiper blades.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad you made it home ok. Those are some pretty good pointers.

I was lucky enough to grow up where it snows a lot. Driving in snow is usually a breeze for me. It was late October when I first got my driver's permit, so when I started learning to drive, it was already snowy. Here are a few pointers of my own:

1) Keep a tow strap in your vehicle at all times, preferably in the same place where you keep your jumper cables (you do have jumper cables, right?).

2) Know where to connect your tow strap. Do it know, don't try to find a place in a hurry when you are covered in snow and mentally worn out from the drive.

3) Learn to feel a slide coming on. This can really only be done by experience, and unfortunately doing so on purpose might be illegal in your area (exhibition driving).

3a) When I can't see pavement I keep one hand on the wheel and one hand on the shifter. The moment I sense the back end sliding out I put the car in neutral and steer into the slide. This has kept me out of the ditch numerous times. Be careful not to over-correct.

ETA: As far as the icing windshield wipers and excessive heat in the car goes, just open a window. I'm dead serious. Open your back windows a few inches for a short time to vent off some of that hot air without sacrificing windshield heat.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The wrecked 4x4's always crack me up.

Four wheel drive doesn't help you stop.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I strapped my AX15 over the axle in the bed of my truck which is protected by my bed cover.  With my good tires I only have needed to drop in into 4H to get started on uphill inclines.

Be gentle on the brakes and as mentioned, four wheel drive does not mean four wheel stop.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ok so I was up with my Family in CT to celebrate Christmas (the only time we could ALL get together).  We knew some snow was coming to our home area (MD) and we were thinking about leaving early.  But we decided that leaving at 9:30pm was not a good idea.  My wife and I were just too tired to make the 5.5-6 hour journey home.  So we decided to hit the sack and get on the road by 9am

Sure enough we were up, packed, and on the road at 9am.  Any normal day we would have been in our house by 2-3 at the latest - and the snow wasn't scheduled till later in the afternoon.

FAIL.

By noon we were closing on Trenton when the first flakes were spotted.  I had a gun feeling to take 195 and cross over to PA then take I95 south through PA.  I decided to cross the Deleware later - bad move.

About 0.25 miles after passing the exit ramp not only did the snow get heavier and the traffic get slower, but we saw an electronic sign informing traffic that the Deleware Memorial bridge was closed (the major bridge cross the river).  What followed was a sometimes harrowing, sometimes frustrating drive that took 13.5 hours to get home (basically it took me 10.5 hours to cover what would normally be covered in less than 3 hours)
View Quote

You should have turned around right here.  Go a few miles, backtrack and get back on that ramp.  Don't commit yourself to a bad decision because it means admitting you just made a bad decision.
View Quote

1.  IF you don't know how to effen drive in the snow - get the hell off the road, or at least stay to the side.  I saw more idiots that would get stuck or go way too slow in the faster lane.  Get a hotel room - there are plenty along the highway. Agreed.

2.  4WD does not mean you can go any faster or are an instant 'snow driver'.  The laws of physics still apply and you stop no quicker than the Honda Civic - leave several times the room you normally would.  I got bumped by a moron NJ Xtera driver (no damage thanks to the snow and my anti-lock brakes).  There were several stuck SUVs and 4x4 Pickup Trucks on the side of the road... Agreed, and even an experienced snow driver forgets this for the first snow fall, I am still getting my snow legs back for this year.

3.  If you do have a 4x4 pickup, have some good sense to put some weight over the rear axle - it really does help.

4. Keep moving, don't stop on the side of a hill.  Particularly don't stop and then try to make a 90 degree turn into some store (I'll be that minivan is still there). This part scares the hell out of me. People lack the basic sense of physics and get stuck like that all the time. The real problem comes when the fact that people that don't make that mistake come up behind them, right where it's all slicked up from spinning tires. I absolutely HATE this, be GENTLE on the gas and don't waste forward momentum!

5. 4WD is great (duh) But my wife's car lacks it.  I found with traction control, decent snow rated tires, anti-lock brakes and a bit of ground clearance it still drives rather well.

6.  If all you have is a RWD sports car - stay at home - really.

7. Know how to use a map and not just call up GPS.  At one point (around 5pm - we had just gotten through Philly on I95) we stopped at a diner for dinner).  Using the Google Maps and it's traffic feature I was able to plot a course using back roads to one of my alternates to I95 (Rt 1).  GPS wouldn't navigate there except through heavily trafficked roads (which were crawling or stopped) it took reading a map and willing to go a few steps backward to at first to go forward in the end.  Play with the map apps more until you know them.  You can drag waypoints to create a route you want. This point is not a valid criticism of map apps, this is you not knowing how to use them. Good use of the backup paper map to make up for it though.... but seriously, learn your apps.

8. Snow is not the place to be cutting in and out of traffic.  Yup.  I pick a truck not dragging up too much blowing snow and get behind them.  Slow and steady.

9. It's best not to go by a stadium on game day , in heavy snow with these guys driving all around ->

10.  If you didn't grow up in snow country, but now live or work in areas with snow I HIGHLY recommend you get out to some parking lots at the next snow and learn the ins and outs of driving in snow.  Find some hills too to learn the tricks of start and how get moving again when on the side of a hill.

We had all the goodies in our vehicle we needed, heavy jackets, gloves, boots, and an e-tool (hooah!).  We didn't need them, but we were glad they were there.  Our biggest issue was getting hot.  To keep the wiper blades free of ice (so I could see) I had to have the defroster on full heat.  If I lowered the heat the wiper blades would ice up and leave streaks right across my line of sight.  Blades are getting replaced today - we should have replaced them prior to our trip.  Stop and take off some jackets or crack a rear window, or both. Put the jackets on the kids in the back so they stay warm with the cracked window. One thing that works great for this, is get the heated seats on your next car.  I never use it, I hate it, but the chick or thin blood sitting next to me will shut up about being cold with the window cracked. I like to drive in about 55 degrees inside the car, I sweat like crazy if if's much above that. Often I will wear shorts and a t shirt in the car in late February because 4 months of getting acclimated to the cold makes me not tolerate heat so well anymore.

View Quote
Excellent write up. Thank you for sharing.

I put some comments in the quoted text above.

One thing to add, don't trust the weather guy, or at least what he SAYS will happen.  Look at the radar yourself, pinpoint your location, run the animation, and watch the timer. MOST storms don't speed up / slow down that much as far as the beginning goes.  You can figure out when stuff is going to arrive much more accurately by eyeballing that splash of color far better than the guy on the other side of the county who has to average the "it will be here at 2 PM" over the entire listening area.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've experienced this problem a few times. What is the answer to the wiper blades and ice? Is there a secret to keeping them clear, or do you just have to get out and clean them off now and then?

It seems you would either have to leave the heat off so the snow doesn't melt and then refreeze on the wiper, or try to get your windshield so hot that the heat tansfers to the wiper blades.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Our biggest issue was getting hot.  To keep the wiper blades free of ice (so I could see) I had to have the defroster on full heat.  If I lowered the heat the wiper blades would ice up and leave streaks right across my line of sight.  Blades are getting replaced today - we should have replaced them prior to our trip.

RainX windshield washer wiper additive.  Use it all summer and by the time the snow comes the ice doesn't stick to anything around your windshield so well anymore.

Sometimes you just have to deal with the cold for the wipers though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
don't take this personally but I lived in md from 85 to 94 and find  it quite amusing to see someone from there bitching about others peoples winter driving habits.........its the only place ive ever seen people stop their cars in the middle of an interstate and walk during a snowstorm
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to mention, floor mats and some patience can get you out of a bind sometimes. They help provided traction a foot or two at a time if you are easy on the throttle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some Windshield wiper fluid is made with de-icer in it. If you find ice starting to build up, run that for a while.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First FAIL, I'm not from MD - I merely live here now, I'm from New England where I grew up driving on snow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
don't take this personally but I lived in md from 85 to 94 and find  it quite amusing to see someone from there bitching about others peoples winter driving habits.........its the only place ive ever seen people stop their cars in the middle of an interstate and walk during a snowstorm

First FAIL, I'm not from MD - I merely live here now, I'm from New England where I grew up driving on snow.

Then you will be frustrated......im from NE Ohio originally and was shocked at how MD folks acted
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Here in the city, not five minutes passes after the rain begins before I hear the sirens from the station up the street start up.
Two inches of rain is a calamity on the roads. Two inches of snow is Armageddon.

MD drivers are the worst. And they do not modify their driving one iota in inclement weather.
(With the exception of going even slower in the fast lane on the highway in the rain.)
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad you made it home OK. The weather around here sucked yesterday. I went to REI yesterday afternoon and had to use 4WD on my Xterra. I live about a half mile away from it.

I'm originally from outside of Baltimore. I can remember school being cancelled for 1/4" of snow. Unfortunately, a lot of the tards around Philly don't know how to drive in snow even though it's something we get on a semi-regular basis.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Then you will be frustrated......im from NE Ohio originally and was shocked at how MD folks acted
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've driven in snow in Ohio and your retards give MDs a run for the money. Same for NE and even in Colorado,

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posteddoesn't 't esn't eve_Markowitz:

Glad you made it home OK. The weather around here sucked yesterday. I went to REI yesterday afternoon and had to use 4WD on my Xterra. I live about a half mile away from it.

View Quote

I'm originally from outside of Baltimore. I can remember school being cancelled for 1/4" of snow. Unfortunately, a lot of the tards around Philly don't know how to drive in snow even though it's something we get on a semi-regular basis.

Hahaha that much doesn't even make the forecast!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My buddy who came down to MD from Pittsburgh thought it was pretty funny when they cancelled school in MD for an inch of snow.
He wondered why they just didn't put the chains on the school buses like back home.
Yet it's all relative. When Atlanta was shut down for a week over 3", I thought that was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#23]
It also helps if you know what kind of 4WD system you have.  

Most so-called 4WD vehicles will only be sending torque to ONE front wheel and ONE rear wheel.  One + one does not =4WD.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It also helps if you know what kind of 4WD system you have.  

Most so-called 4WD vehicles will only be sending torque to ONE front wheel and ONE rear wheel.  One + one does not =4WD.
View Quote

Only when one tire on an axle has less traction.  Plus, driving with locked axles is a recipe for disaster for 99% of the public.

Thank the Lord that schools and government was closed today, kept 95% of the retards off the roads.  Still plenty of "I'll drive 45 in the left lane because snow is falling and the road is wet Aholes" on the road.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Possibly it's a learning curve, but I'm using google maps on Android and it's not allowing me to pull the track around like I can on my Windows PC.  The map ends up sliding around instead of the track. Any suggestions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Play with the map apps more until you know them.  You can drag waypoints to create a route you want. This point is not a valid criticism of map apps, this is you not knowing how to use them. Good use of the backup paper map to make up for it though.... but seriously, learn your apps.

Possibly it's a learning curve, but I'm using google maps on Android and it's not allowing me to pull the track around like I can on my Windows PC.  The map ends up sliding around instead of the track. Any suggestions?
Well, shit. Looking at it now, the morons at Google TOOK THE FEATURE OUT.

Apparently, it didn't make it past the "Apple gets greedy tries to make own maps fucks it up." process with iOS 5.

I am betting there isn't an alternate route option in Android anymore either.

There should be a grey alternate route available in the planning part of the mapping.  You might have to deliberately get off path and route to a waypoint separately now. Or maybe use the "route from here" feature several times. There are ways to plan it on a PC and then send the route to the phone.

My stupid ass TomTom lets me drag a route to plan a route through a certain place.  No reason Google couldn't do it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Apparently, it didn't make it past the "Apple gets greedy tries to make own maps fucks it up." process with iOS 5.

There should be a grey alternate route available in the planning part of the mapping.  You might have to deliberately get off path and route to a waypoint separately now. Or maybe use the "route from here" feature several times. There are ways to plan it on a PC and then send the route to the phone.

My stupid ass TomTom lets me drag a route to plan a route through a certain place.  No reason Google couldn't do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Play with the map apps more until you know them.  You can drag waypoints to create a route you want. This point is not a valid criticism of map apps, this is you not knowing how to use them. Good use of the backup paper map to make up for it though.... but seriously, learn your apps.

Down load Waze.  user input traffic conditions.  it has saved me a ton of times.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My stupid ass TomTom lets me drag a route to plan a route through a certain place.  No reason Google couldn't do it. They still are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My stupid ass TomTom lets me drag a route to plan a route through a certain place.  No reason Google couldn't do it. They still are.

Android works exactly like that just fine. Lots of grey alt lines.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Good Tips,  I feel your pain I'm from New England and living in MO (and previously KS) folks out here have no idea how to drive in the snow.  School is closed for the third day in a row here (not including the weekend) and we only got 2-3 inches last night.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View Quote
I do use Waze.

I haven't tried using it for navigation and routes, just traffic and cops.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You only get one or two alternates, and you can't decide what they are.  The "grey lines" are a sorry, poor, lousy, cop-out excuse for "alternate routes".

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I do use Waze.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I do use Waze.  

I haven't tried using it for navigation and routes, just traffic and cops.

Works great with instant traffic reports and cops and speed traps.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#36]
4WD for the untrained and inexperienced usually means that they get 50 feet further from the road than  a 2wd car.

That's OK with my uncle: he drives a tow truck for a living and charges extra for "off-road recovery."

Lots extra.

It ain't about equipment, folks, it's about experience. I had a posi rear end in my 2wd 67 El Camino, and left a 4x4 toy in a mud ditch.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

4WD for the untrained and inexperienced usually means that they get 50 feet further from the road than  a 2wd car.

That's OK with my uncle: he drives a tow truck for a living and charges extra for "off-road recovery."

Lots extra.

It ain't about equipment, folks, it's about experience. I had a posi rear end in my 2wd 67 El Camino, and left a 4x4 toy in a mud ditch.
View Quote
+1

I drove a RWD rx8 on summer tires for 2 winters, and got stuck a grand total of absolutely zero times.

I find it hilarious when i see the big trucks and suvs 500 feet from the roads backwards as i drive by.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Years ago, when my wife was in grad school, we lived near Baltimore.  I couldn't believe how many cars ended up off the road after less than an inch of snow.  I used to drive a rwd Nova with knobby snow tires.  That car would go thru 8-10 inches of snow with a couple of sand bags in the truck.  You just need to get a running start to go up hill.  Even here in downstate NY we get enough snow that people should be able to deal but they can't.  Our old house was on a hill and when it snowed we would sit in the living room and watch people get stuck on the hill.  It was better than watching TV.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#39]
On the topic of navigating steep hills in traffic:

I've found that the best way to deal with a steep snowy hill in traffic is to stop at the bottom at let all the strugglers ahead make it to the top before proceeding.  No matter how good of a driver you are, you can't defeat physics and when the person in front of you fails or stops, you could end up being the tool spinning and flailing your way to the top.

Let everyone go, get some momentum, and maintain it with steady throttle to the top.

Oh yeah, get dedicated snow tires.  There is no reason not to, and they eliminate most of the self-inflicted irritation of driving in snow.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Years ago, when my wife was in grad school, we lived near Baltimore.  I couldn't believe how many cars ended up off the road after less than an inch of snow.  I used to drive a rwd Nova with knobby snow tires.  That car would go thru 8-10 inches of snow with a couple of sand bags in the truck.  You just need to get a running start to go up hill.  Even here in downstate NY we get enough snow that people should be able to deal but they can't.  Our old house was on a hill and when it snowed we would sit in the living room and watch people get stuck on the hill.  It was better than watching TV.
View Quote
It's not the amount of snow.

It's the snow/pavement layer, it progresses through various stages, some of which are quite slippery.  Light snow, heavy snow, and -5 degrees is different between light snow or heavy snow and 27 degrees.

The latter will get more people in trouble than the former.

"It's just a little snow and it just started" is probably one of the worst things someone can think...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My buddy who came down to MD from Pittsburgh thought it was pretty funny when they cancelled school in MD for an inch of snow.
He wondered why they just didn't put the chains on the school buses like back home.
Yet it's all relative. When Atlanta was shut down for a week over 3", I thought that was pretty funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife is from Wisconsin and states they don't use chains up there at all (don't know about school busses).

I'm from So Cal, and they don't trust us enough on the mountains in winter w/o having chains packed.

My wife laughed, until I pointed out that a little slipping in WI ends up in a ditch, a little slipping in CA ends up 5,000 feet lower.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I feel your pain brother.

The thing that really surprised me here was not that they can't drive in snow (it's MD - most of MD doesn't get alot of snow - in the parts that do get alot of snow they wisely stay in the mountains and not deal with the baltimorons).

The fact they can't drive in the rain either.  It like freaks so many of them out.  I swear a good quarter of the population here must be transplants from the Southwest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel your pain brother.

The thing that really surprised me here was not that they can't drive in snow (it's MD - most of MD doesn't get alot of snow - in the parts that do get alot of snow they wisely stay in the mountains and not deal with the baltimorons).

The fact they can't drive in the rain either.  It like freaks so many of them out.  I swear a good quarter of the population here must be transplants from the Southwest.

My X was an insurance adjuster...........rain kept her busy.......mostly with idiots who had bald tires, which seemed to be about 50% of the pop............I hated that state
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've driven in snow in Ohio and your retards give MDs a run for the money. Same for NE and even in Colorado,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yah......I left when I turned 18 , 30 years ago......Just went home over the summer.........um, im thinking most intelligent people bailed with me
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My wife is from Wisconsin and states they don't use chains up there at all (don't know about school busses).

I'm from So Cal, and they don't trust us enough on the mountains in winter w/o having chains packed.

My wife laughed, until I pointed out that a little slipping in WI ends up in a ditch, a little slipping in CA ends up 5,000 feet lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I discovered that mountain and flat land snow are way different.............way more pucker factor in the mountains
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
Chains chew the shit out of country roads.

Of which, around here, they are ALL paved.  

That comes from a dairy industry where the milk MUST get hauled every day, and it MUST get there in a certain time frame.

That, and we don't really have "hills" to speak of.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Pennsylvania and New Jersey. 'Nuff said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top