Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 2:58:47 PM EDT
Do you participate or not and why? Today I gave blood and kept debating whether it was a good or bad idea. It was my first time donating and I followed through with it. I am curious as to what your thoughts are.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
good on for doing it.

i have a 10 gal pin, it's a good thing to do afaik
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to until the time they couldn't properly hit a vein in either arm
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 or 4 times a year for several years.  2 friends have needed lots of blood to survive bad accidents, so it seems like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]

I used to donate blood and even blood platelets once.

But, I lived in the UK for too long and now the Red Cross thinks I have Mad Cow.

No more donations accepted.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to donate platelets twice a month. Stopped after my favorite hottie nurse quit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to donate regularly until I became ineligible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
i will once i am allowed to again, which is about a year from now.

if you happen to be O- blood type it is especially important that you donate....if you don't know your blood type, the first time you go they'll tell you.

if you time it right you can get some pretty sweet bonuses from radio stations, etc, but they really shouldn't have to bribe people.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Just past 5 gallons now.  And I'm only 26.

I donate every 8 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I do it.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I donate and have signed up for the bone marrow donor registry.  For me it would be the coolest thing to match with someone and have a chance to help save their life.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I donate and have signed up for the bone marrow donor registry.  For me it would be the coolest thing to match with someone and have a chance to help save their life.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I would donate but I am not allowed.  I had hepatitis A when I was 11, and that results in a lifetime ban.  Thank you for donating.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I used to donate regularly until I became ineligible.

this.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But, I lived in the UK for too long and now the Red Cross thinks I have Mad Cow.

This - exactly...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tell me more about this, I am curious as to what all is involved.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I donated about a year ago and need to donate soon again, I had planned to donate before now but I let things slide a bit.

Part of donating is that it helps me if I ever need blood but I also do it because it can help others as well.

Now that I work 2nd shift it should be a lot easier to hit donation points, being on 3rd shift I was a bit of a vampire and never was up and moving during their hours in most cases.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]

I donated the year before but won't be again unless it's at the VA. They kept calling me and calling me, annoying the crap out of me to no end. My blood is AB+ anyways and really isn't any good but to other AB+'s who being AB+'s can take just about any blood type out there so it just doesn't seem to matter that much the way I see it. I can't say I've got an overwhelming concern for the population anymore. If I had a family member or friend that needed it though, I'd slice my wrist open and unload some blood in a empty milk jug and keep going till they got what they needed.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I give 'nothing' to the Red Cross.
5sub
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I've slipped in my donations in the past six months due to a difficult working schedule, but that's not a good excuse.  This thread just gave me the kick in the ass I needed to go and donate on my next days off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#21]
What does a B+ blood type do for the red cross it seems like unless you have O or A blood your not much use to them.

Im happy to help but am scared of the platels thin and it appears I am of little use to them. Whats the chances of finding a hottie nurse.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I've done probably 15 pints, I'm trying to hit 10 at the hospital i donate at now for the free aluminum water bottle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's awesome. I cannot donate anymore, I am anemic from my liver disease so no more donations.

I had a bone marrow biopsy taken as part of the diagnosis done on me. I don't want to scare you away but it was very painful. Even with a very strong painkiller used I could feel the tube hammered into my hip and twisted so they could take a core sample. If there is a test that can be done it has been done to me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I was given free entry into a gun show by donating blood in Dallas. They had the mobile labs sitting outside the show. It was a great way to donate and get more than a good feeling and a cookie.

I am A-, so they like me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope.  I used to, as often as I could.  I have a relatively rare blood-type, and if I didn't make it in, they'd call me.

But, years ago, I got flagged (falsely) on their test as HIV positive - and once you've been tested positive once, the law will not let you donate again, even if that test is proven wrong.  They just don't want to take the chance.

According to the rep who called me to tell me to go see my doc for another blood test, for every legitimately positive flag that they throw, they'll have about 100 false positives as well, because their tests are so sensitive.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#27]
In college I donated fairly regularly, because various student groups would get the donation people in. Very often there was a free hoodie or t-shirt for the university or whatever group was doing it.

I usually donated double red since you could get in and out fairly quickly and you don't feel lightheaded when it's over (they take twice the volume, remove the platelets and put the plasma back in). The machine added saline to the plasma before putting it back, and since the saline was at room temperature, it makes you COLD. It's a very weird sensation when your blood is cold. It warms up fairly quickly, but you become very aware of your blood moving around your body while it comes up to temp - neat experience.

Once I passed the gallon mark they wouldn't leave me alone - they'd call me several times a month. After I moved to another state they don't cover, they still called. I think the 3rd time I told them I was 2000 miles away and wouldn't be coming back to donate they got the idea. I had their phone number in my cell listed as 'VAMPIRES' since they were always after my blood
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I donated the year before but won't be again unless it's at the VA. They kept calling me and calling me, annoying the crap out of me to no end. My blood is AB+ anyways and really isn't any good but to other AB+'s who being AB+'s can take just about any blood type out there so it just doesn't seem to matter that much the way I see it. I can't say I've got an overwhelming concern for the population anymore. If I had a family member or friend that needed it though, I'd slice my wrist open and unload some blood in a empty milk jug and keep going till they got what they needed.

AB+ is a universal recipient, but when it comes to plasma/platelets, they are universal donors.  Apheresis is performed to extract plasma/platelets and the whole blood cells are pumped back into the body.  Been donating plasma/platelets every 2 weeks for 4 years now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I have 'Baby Blood.'  O-Neg, with no pathogens - not even CMV.

So they love my blood and I give it regularly.  I wonder if they're secretly collecting my DNA for data mining purposes?  Guess my arguments against DUI forced blood draws are moot, eh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:47:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Used to donate a lot of plasma. The monetary kickback is nice too. I should probably start doing that again. Nothing like getting an extra $240 a month to play around with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This - exactly...

+1 Although not the UK but in Italy before 1996.  Found that out in HS when i tried to donated, i still got a cookie for trying.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Thats not "donation."    

Quoted:

Used to donate a lot of plasma. The monetary kickback is nice too.
I should probably start doing that again. Nothing like getting an extra $240 a month to play around with.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I just donated on Friday.  3rd time this year.  

I try to donate as often as I can.  

B+
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more about this, I am curious as to what all is involved.

I joined the registry through a blood drive that was held at my work.  It was through the Central Texas Blood Bank at that time.  After I agreed to be put on the registry,  they collected an extra 2 samples of blood during the normal donation process.  As I understand it, the 1st sample is taken and typed for preliminary cross matching.  When a person is matched based on the initial level, the tissue center contacts the sample provider and gets their consent to do a more thorough type and cross match testing.  My understanding was that this 2nd match was much more detailed and ie expensive so it was only done when there was a preliminary match. If the potential donor is still a good match for the person in need then even more tissue type testing could be needed.    In my case,  A couple of years after joining the registry I was contacted for consent to use the 2nd sample for further type cross matching and to verify I was still interested in donating if there was a match.   In my case,  I was not a good enough match for the patient after the more detailed cross matching was done.  So it ended there for me.  As far as I know my detailed blood type info is now on the registry waiting for it to match someone in need.  
And if I ever do get the call asking me to donate bone marrow,  I will.  Yes I know it will hurt, but knowing I may have helped someone else is worth it to me. And my wife is a nurse so I will have the best bed side care during recovery.    
Any other questions can be answered from the FAQ on the link below.

Here is a link for the Bone Marrow Registry site: Click here
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Used to do it. Can't do it again until I've been back from the box for 1 year so still waiting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I donate platelets every 2 weeks at the City of Hope Med Ctr. Platelets are transfused into people after they received a bone morrow transplant. Platelets are produced in the bone morrow,  they are needed because bone morrow transplant recipient's old morrow was destroy  and so it can't produce platelets, and the new morrow has to grow in before the can produce the platelets. In the mean time, the body has to plug little minor leaks all of the time. Without platelets, the bone morrow transplant recipient can actually "bleed out" from internal bleeding.

At the City of Hope Med Ctr, they do super SotA(state of the art) research into cancer treatments. If you have any kind of "untreatable" cancers at other hospitals, this is the best place to be.

Personally, I can't afford to give real money, but I can give them the ability to save that money.

If anyone is in the So. Calif area, the City of Hope is in the city of Duarte Calif, about 5 miles east of Los Angeles, come and donate blood and/or platelets
CoH Information For Donors and Volunteers

CoH has donors/volunteers as far 75 miles away, ie from Irvine(Orange County) to Thousand Oaks(Ventura County).

If you are planning to donate blood and/or platelets be aware that the US FDA/Red Cross has very stringent guide lines that they follow.  See here for guide lines:
CoH Donation Qualifications
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Used to donate a lot of plasma. The monetary kickback is nice too. I should probably start doing that again. Nothing like getting an extra $240 a month to play around with.

When you sell plasma, it's not used to help people. It's typically used as a thickening agent in shampoo and other cosmetic products - yes, shampoo has blood components in it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#38]
It is a healthy thing to do if you are a man.  We dont tend to leak blood every month like our counterparts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Never did, but now that I've had Lyme's Disease and we cannot prove I'm free of it (and not infectious), it's an unacceptable risk to someone else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to donate every 2 months for years, until they decided that anyone who had been stationed in Europe in the military(I think they consider the 80s the "dangerous years") is ineligible. Apparently, we were all fed beef raised in the UK, so they don't want our blood any more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#41]
The blood mobile is her 5-6 times a year, I go almost every time. Im on 6 gal
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

5sub

Bully for you and all that jazz...

I was a "regular" for many years. Every 6 weeks they called me like clockwork (the local blood bank).
I haven't donated in a long time...between kids and all that.
Thanks, OP, for the reminder of how easy it is to save a person's life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I went twice then got a false positive for hepatitis.  Its a shame cause I liked giving blood.  It made me feel like I helped someone and there was the cookies and t shirts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I lived in Spain but the beef we got at the commissary was from the UK. Same here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Spain but the beef we got at the commissary was from the UK. Same here.

Oh yeah - I forgot to add - I'm on the Marrow Donor registry and when I applied for that I told them about the Mad Cow thing they're reply was - if they NEED your marrow they probably will risk it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

5sub

Bully for you and all that jazz...

I was a "regular" for many years. Every 6 weeks they called me like clockwork (the local blood bank).
I haven't donated in a long time...between kids and all that.
Thanks, OP, for the reminder of how easy it is to save a person's life.

No problem. I think I am gonna try to make it a regular thing. I hope to never need blood in an emergency situation. I know I would take it in a heartbeat, so I felt like donating is something I should do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top