Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 10:30:25 PM EDT
Perhaps title was a bit incorrect.
So, I have a nice 4 year old Sangean ATS-909X that stays in bed, listen to talk radio, swl, whatever, helps me sleep.
Wife cannot hear it at night, so, no sabotage.
The other day it was 'dead', I use NiMH batts, charger was okay, as was batt voltage.
Also noticed radio was in a different spot, so, I asked if it was dropped off bed, as batt tension was really loose.
"I don't think so, if it does'nt work, just buy a new one, you spend so much $$$$ on ammo, you don't use, just buy a new one."
So, i guess she dropped it, here is the funny part, 'Why don't you put paper between the batteries to make them tight"?
I asked her,"Is paper a good conductor."
She, 'Sure, it burns really good.'
Guess you would have had to have been here!
She is Smart, I Love Her, just was so funny.
So, what is a nice upgrade?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I have a nice 4 year old Sangean ATS-909X that stays in bed, listen to talk radio, swl, whatever, helps me sleep.
The other day it was 'dead', I use NiMH batts, charger was okay, as was batt voltage.
Also noticed radio was in a different spot, so, I asked if it was dropped off bed, as batt tension was really loose.
"I don't think so, if it does'nt work, just buy a new one, you spend so much $$$$ on ammo, you don't use, just buy a new one."
So, i guess she dropped it, here is the funny part, 'Why don't you put paper between the batteries to make them tight"?
View Quote

Someone with bigger tits?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Bigger Tits?
Search BOTD.
I'll never find or need bigger ones.
Just thought the paper part was funny.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
But honey, if I put paper between the batteries, won't it catch fire?
I've been watching this Grundig G3 but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I need a new radio for work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you personally know any supermodels?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Not sure they make them with bigger t...

Uhhhh...nevermind.

Yes, wife groks electricity...she went to GA Tech.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Did not they teach this and Ohms Law, conductivity, etc in 6th grade Physics class?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did not they teach this and Ohms Law, conductivity, etc in 6th grade Physics class?
View Quote

My wife knows we get a bill for it every month...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Put a penny in with the batteries
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand electricity or physics at all. I've memorized some facts and I understand what I need to do to be a user, but it's still black magic. I'd need to start at the beginning, with a formal class. It's just not something I'll pick up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been watching this Grundig G3 but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I need a new radio for work.
View Quote

Grab it! I have one and it's very nice. Copies SSB and CW well, too. It tunes in 1 KHz steps, but there's a variable BFO control.

Wife has General class license, so she does understand electricity and she knows how to solder. Just after she got her license, she built a Radio Shack five transistor AM radio kit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think my wife grasps the concept of fire, let alone electricity.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You got one of those too?

Watched my wife stick her hand in a pot of boiling water to retrieve a spoon she had dropped. No burns, no ouch, nothing. Told her to give me two weeks notice of when the Mothership returns to take her home.

Intelligent, strong, independent. She's a keeper. However modern tech and her understanding of some basic junior high psychics has her baffled. Think it was the way schooling was at that time. We both graduated high school in the later part of the 1970's. Guys got Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets to play with and went to power mechanics and machine shop in high school. Gals got Barbie and a Easy Bake Oven to play with and went to home economics in high school.

Times have changed thankfully. Just a week ago the neighbors 14 year old daughter came over and said she was starting to write code. Offered any assistance I could give in Arduino and Pic programming as I've got the hardware to burn the chips. Also have older versions of C++ and Visual Basic she could have. Wife asked her, "Do you have any idea what he's talking about?" The innocence of youth turned to her, shrugged her shoulders, and went "Yeah". My bride threw up her hands and walked off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Watched my wife stick her hand in a pot of boiling water to retrieve a spoon she had dropped. No burns, no ouch, nothing. Told her to give me two weeks notice of when the Mothership returns to take her home.

Intelligent, strong, independent. She's a keeper. However modern tech and her understanding of some basic junior high psychics has her baffled. Think it was the way schooling was at that time. We both graduated high school in the later part of the 1970's. Guys got Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets to play with and went to power mechanics and machine shop in high school. Gals got Barbie and a Easy Bake Oven to play with and went to home economics in high school.

Times have changed thankfully. Just a week ago the neighbors 14 year old daughter came over and said she was starting to write code. Offered any assistance I could give in Arduino and Pic programming as I've got the hardware to burn the chips. Also have older versions of C++ and Visual Basic she could have. Wife asked her, "Do you have any idea what he's talking about?" The innocence of youth turned to her, shrugged her shoulders, and went "Yeah". My bride threw up her hands and walked off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Microsoft has free versions of all their modern development suites, known as the Express Edition.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Grab it! I have one and it's very nice. Copies SSB and CW well, too. It tunes in 1 KHz steps, but there's a variable BFO control.

Wife has General class license, so she does understand electricity and she knows how to solder. Just after she got her license, she built a Radio Shack five transistor AM radio kit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered it. ARFCOM helping me spend $$$ again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't mean to imply my wife is dumb.  She was salutatorian of her school, just as I was at mine.  She corrects my spelling and grammar, she teaches my kids sports.  We both graduated from college.  However anything mechanical, scientific or involving math, that generally falls into my job.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, she knows if she flips the switch and the light comes on, we have some.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I travel a great deal. Sometimes I come home and find the cutest things. Like duct tape on a broken spade handle. Then theres the time our basement flooded. I found the toilet plunger by the drain to the laterals that was plugged up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I didn't mean to imply my wife is dumb.  She was salutatorian of her school, just as I was at mine.  She corrects my spelling and grammar, she teaches my kids sports.  We both graduated from college.  However anything mechanical, scientific or involving math, that generally falls into my job.
View Quote

Same here.  My wife is a veterinarian and wizard with animals but she is dumb as a post when it comes to mechanical/electrical stuff.

FWIW, I think I'm a pretty smart guy but turn into a total retard if I have to make change.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#22]
The radio is repaired, the ribbon connector that goes to the display was loose.
It also works all of the panel buttons, as well as the display.
And, tensioned the batt retainers.
Was direct 'plug in' no mating connector, kind of like on an old dot matrix printer.
Added a bit wee of silicone to the outside, will not come loose again.
As far as the 'Big Boob' upgrade, did you find THEM in the BOTD?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#23]
What is BOTD?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife is several orders of magnitude smarter than me.  BA in Biology, MA in Microbiology, and will have her DVM (veterinarian) in two short years.  On top of that, she committed 75% of the effort to raise our two kids when I traveled for work in order to fund the operation.

She may not "know" electricity, but she would have it figured out in short order if she wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is BOTD?
View Quote

Babe Of The Day forum, available to Team Members Only.
Scantily clad Women.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One of her degrees is in Physics, so she probably still has at least a basic understanding of it.  
View Quote

So?  What does that have to do with t_ts?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Seriously, why does she need to understand electricity?  That's what she has me around for.

But she does understand why I do ham radio.

She had attended a club meeting where we had the local Homeland Security guy, and a few
other officials.  Discussed Skywarn and usefulness to the community of ham radio post hurricane.
She had commented to me that she had no idea we could do all that.

A few days later I was in the shop, which is also my ham shack.  I was doing something on the lathe.  
She came in, but saw I was making a cut, waited patiently until I shut off the lathe, turned to her, "Yeah,
Babe, what's up?"

"All this radio gear... (pointing over to the stack of gear on the other end of the work bench) ... in a
real emergency, like a hurricane or tornado, can you call over to (county seat)?"  She remembered
previous hurricanes and the phones being out for weeks afterwards.

"Sweetie, I can call across the county, across the state, to other states, other countries, other continents.  
When I need to, I can call for 'lawyers, guns, and money'."

"Oh."  And she left.

I went back to work on the lathe.  "What the hell was that about?" I wondered.

Five minutes later she came back in and set a cup of coffee and piece of fresh homemade cheesecake
down near me on the workbench.  And left, not saying a word.  That was her way of saying, "I get it now."

Since then she had not said a word about anything I spent on ham gear.  She figures if I bought something,
I needed it.  Coax, insulators, stuff to make antennas, big batteries, solar panels, not a word.

Oh, I take that back.  She asked, "I KNOW you have your eye on some piece of ham gear.  What ever it is
go on and order it.  Merry Christmas."  She got me an Ameritron ALS-600S to replace the AL-811H I had.

She may not know much about electricity, but she knows about ham radio.

And she has great... uh, nevermind, that's personal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Her understanding of electricity begins with wiggle the plug in the outlet and ends with flipping the on/off switch repeatedly if it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine, after living in the same house for years, still flips ALL THREE light switches trying to turn on a light that has been on the middle switch forever. She never hits the middle one first. I make fun of her.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#30]
She's got a BS and MS in EE from Cornell.  Not sure how much she remembers though....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mine, after living in the same house for years, still flips ALL THREE light switches trying to turn on a light that has been on the middle switch forever. She never hits the middle one first. I make fun of her.
View Quote

You could be really devious and move the middle switch to the left or right side.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You could be really devious and move the middle switch to the left or right side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just move it to whichever position she tries first. Why adapt the user to the interface when you can adapt the interface to the user.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top