Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2013 2:37:33 PM EDT
I couldn't find the original thread to update it, so I'm posting it here.  CVS has the 16 ounce DAK canned hams on sale @ 2 for $5 from 3/24 through 3/30.  They'll likely be out of stock quickly in most locations, BUT... CVS rainchecks don't expire.  Get your rainchecks and stock up!  That is all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn you
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I still don't understand the fascination with these.  I mean, yeah it's canned meat that'll last pretty much forever.  But from what I've seen it's the consistency of Smuckers and looks like it is caked in jelly to begin with.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on their rain checks.

I'm still getting Skippy @ 3 / $5...  Have maybe 30 left...

I may have DAKs for less as well.  I think $1.99.

Buy smartly folks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It is lots better than nothing in a shtf situation and the stores are all out of rib eye.  It might just be a nice change from rice and beans.  Not a gourmet item, for sure but better than a cracker and cracker sandwich.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is lots better than nothing in a shtf situation and the stores are all out of rib eye.  It might just be a nice change from rice and beans.  Not a gourmet item, for sure but better than a cracker and cracker sandwich.

I'm partial to Chef Boyardee myself.  Cheap, can be eaten cold or heated, pretty nutritious and it lasts a LONG time.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still don't understand the fascination with these.  I mean, yeah it's canned meat that'll last pretty much forever.  But from what I've seen it's the consistency of Smuckers and looks like it is caked in jelly to begin with.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

-Emt1581

It's way better than Smeat.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=24573

Much less fat.

SMEAT!!!  I didn't even know you could still buy it!  Ain't seen it in a while...
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
How long will it last unopened?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Most likely 6-10 years...or longer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

Thanks

-Emt1581

It's way better than Smeat.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=24573

Much less fat.

And far less radioactive than Cram.

Thanks for the heads up OP! I'll check around my area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely 6-10 years...or longer.

My Pop was in Vietnam and the army was serving up spam that was packed in the 40s.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn you

Mwuuuhahahahahaaa!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It has an indefinite shelf life. It will last longer than you so long as the can remains in good condition.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
CVS here I come.    :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I've used these whenever we do a potluck at work...Open one  up, throw some crosshatches on there with a sharp knife in a diamond pattern, slap some glaze on, and top it with pineapple slices with a maraschino cherry in the center (toothpicks), and then bake at 400F  until you get it as brown as you want...always a pleaser, plus is still good cold.

Thanks for the heads up.  2 hour drive for me to get to the nearest CVS, but it's time for a run into the city anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#16]
dang.  i wanna live two hours away from the nearest CVS/city.  

Quoted:
I've used these whenever we do a potluck at work...Open one  up, throw some crosshatches on there with a sharp knife in a diamond pattern, slap some glaze on, and top it with pineapple slices with a maraschino cherry in the center (toothpicks), and then bake at 400F  until you get it as brown as you want...always a pleaser, plus is still good cold.

Thanks for the heads up.  2 hour drive for me to get to the nearest CVS, but it's time for a run into the city anyway.

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#17]
It is the bits of left over ham packed together into a small can. It is not bad. There are other brands of similar canned ham. I have tried several brands. They all see to be about the same to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is the bits of left over ham packed together into a small can. It is not bad. There are other brands of similar canned ham. I have tried several brands. They all see to be about the same to me.

FWIW---  I've only tried "DAK", "Celebrity", and the stuff they sell at "Aldi's".  The DAK and Celebrity brands seemed to be identical product in different labeled cans (Celebrity was 12oz cans and sold at Walgreens vs. the 16oz DAK product at other stores) and came from the same country.  The stuff from Aldi's was inferior in my families opinion.  The texture was different, and the taste seemed.... ickier.... that was just my families opinion though.  We liked the DAK a lot better.   Mine was only a limited selection, so I can't compare any other brands.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Brother, when the wild wind blows and you are hungry, you will suck up that jelly like it was ambrosia.

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Brother, when the wild wind blows and you are hungry, you will suck up that jelly like it was ambrosia.

Amen Brother!

I see what you did there, but in case any '13ers are reading this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7s1esAptg
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Laughed my ass off when I read it at work....ambrosia.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the heads up, Variable556.!! Scored some at our local CVS today along with a few other nice little sales items they had.
2/$4 Protein bars that are normally over $4 ea. And the ever-present-heartburn-inducing Dinty Moore Beef stew, $2 ea.
Headin back tomorrow to see if they restocked..  d:^)  Schneeks..
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F49-QExUnQM

That being said, I think I'll buy a few at CVS tonight and maybe try one over the weekend...tis the season right?  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Is that the 3 pack of DAK hams?
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That being said, I think I'll buy a few at CVS tonight and maybe try one over the weekend...tis the season right?  

-Emt1581

Yeah, they're tools.  It's simply ham "chips" compacted together.

Ingredients (7):
Ham, Water, Salt, Gelatin, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Sodium Nitrate (Nitrite)
http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Cuts/Dak-Imported-Ham-with-Water-Added-16-oz/19237

My wife is Korean, and accordingly she uses spam a lot in her cooking (raised that way), but she does like the DAK ham better for "normal" eating.  I personally prefer the DAK product much more than Spam.

While you could certainly eat it cold, we heat it in the oven until hot, and then serve slices of it just like regular ham.  Add some instant Idahoan mash potatoes, some Del Monte canned corn, and (if you're really lucky!) some cornbread, and you have a perfectly normal tasting country meal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is that the 3 pack of DAK hams?

No, they are just loose 16 ounce cans priced 2 for $5.  I think Sam's Club sells the 3 packs, but they don't have them in my area.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Yeah, they're tools.  It's simply ham "chips" compacted together.

Ingredients (7):
Ham, Water, Salt, Gelatin, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Sodium Nitrate (Nitrite)
http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Cuts/Dak-Imported-Ham-with-Water-Added-16-oz/19237

My wife is Korean, and accordingly she uses spam a lot in her cooking (raised that way), but she does like the DAK ham better for "normal" eating.  I personally prefer the DAK product much more than Spam.

While you could certainly eat it cold, we heat it in the oven until hot, and then serve slices of it just like regular ham.  Add some instant Idahoan mash potatoes, some Del Monte canned corn, and (if you're really lucky!) some cornbread, and you have a perfectly normal tasting country meal.

Idahoan!!!  Holy crap!! We recently tried these after buying the store brand instant crap for years.  They are WONDERFUL!!!  I just wish they came in bulk packs so we could add them to the prep pile for a decent price.  

Sounds like a good meal you describe.  A prepper's meal at that.  

Only problem is, other than frying it off or dutch ovening it, no clue how I'd heat it with just my wood stove (during a SHTF situation)...

Not meaning to hi-jack by any means, just something I've been thinking about when it was suggested to eat it heated.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up, Variable556.!! Scored some at our local CVS today along with a few other nice little sales items they had.
2/$4 Protein bars that are normally over $4 ea. And the ever-present-heartburn-inducing Dinty Moore Beef stew, $2 ea.
Headin back tomorrow to see if they restocked..  d:^)  Schneeks..

I haven't tried the Dinty Moore.  My wife scored some kind of coupon deal and got Progresso (I think....?  I'll check) "Rich and Hearty Beef Pot Roast" instead.  We both liked it pretty well also.  It was on sale at CVS a week or two ago, but my wife said it wasn't the best sale price combo yet.  If folks are interested, I can check back with her and post up when the good stew deal comes back around again too.  I forget the price she said, but it was stupid cheap.  I swear they must have a warning picture about her behind the counter!LOL  She goes in couponed to the teeth, and also gets bigtime rainchecks from them.

ETA:  this couponing crap is hard for me to understand, let alone explain, but here is what she does---  I checked with the wifely unit, and she relays that the Progresso "Rich and Hearty Beef Pot Roast" is still on sale at CVS.  They have it priced at 4 cans for $5.  She says that's the good price, but they don't have the coupons out right now.  Apparently they sometimes have 50 cent off coupons in the Sunday paper and she uses them to buy the Progresso at Krogers instead of CVS.  Krogers doubles coupons that are 50 cents or less, and she uses two coupons combining that with a 4 for 5 dollar sale price there for a final total of 4 cans for 3 dollars.  Keeping track of that kind of stuff makes my brain hurt, so she does the shopping.LOL
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#29]
is there a limit on this deal?
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#30]
a bit off topic but I have found the best amount of calories in a can of food for the price is Hormel Homestyle Chili

says 700 calories for the can and when they are on sale at the local BILO they are around 1 buck a piece.

that is the majority of my prep food.

anyone else have a good idea of what is the best bang for the buck calorie intake food???

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
a bit off topic but I have found the best amount of calories in a can of food for the price is Hormel Homestyle Chili

says 700 calories for the can and when they are on sale at the local BILO they are around 1 buck a piece.

anyone else have a good idea of what is the best bang for the buck calorie intake food???

Coconut oil.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
is there a limit on this deal?

Nope.  My wife put twenty cans on the rain check last time, and eventually got them all as they restocked.  I don't know how many she put on this time.  Probably twenty or thirty cans.

One tip for folks stacking these----  At least once a year (I do it about every six months) flip your cans over.  If the can stays oriented the same exact way for years--- it tends to dry/darken a small portion on top that most folks would consider less palatable.  You could still eat it, but it'll taste better if you flip 'em once in a blue moon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Peanut butter?  Ferfal talked about condensed milk and this spanish item in one of his videos that I think is a combination of PB and condensed milk called "Guam peanut" or something like that.  

That guy is kinda like Kazoo on the Flintstones...you talk about him and he appears.... FERFAL!!!  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I ran out yesterday to my nearest CVS, and bought all they had: 7 cans. Its insignificant compared to the rest of my preps, but the thrill of the deal was a fine diversion for yesterday. Kinda felt good to score like that. I think it worked out to savings of $1.69 per can.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Amen Brother!

I see what you did there, but in case any '13ers are reading this thread...

Best Prepper Song ever. I lobbed this tune out there a couple years ago, and not many people responded. Not many of us old metal heads out there anymore. Too many people converted over to the sorry excuse for country music they have these days.

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Well I went out a bought a pair of these.  They had 4 on the shelf but this was just to try.  I'll go to all 4 CVS' in the area and buy them out if it is decent.  

My concern was, as I saw mentioned in one of the vids on youtube, the seal on the can looks as if it gets tiny spots of rust on it.  Is this common or an issue?  Or nothing to worry about because it's double layered or something?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#37]
BTW, listening to the Iron Maiden song now.  Love the lyrics...definitely for preppers!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BTW, listening to the Iron Maiden song now.  Love the lyrics...definitely for preppers!

-Emt1581

Die with your boots on
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks!  I just bought the last four at my local store. Might hit a couple more stores tonight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nicely done

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#41]
added 20 to my pantry.  Took going to 4 stores.  2016 and 2017 exp dates.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Picked up six, got rainchecks for 40.

Pays to ask...
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Went to 5 stores and got 22 total.

Couldnt get a raincheck to save my life though. One clerk told me they couldnt give me a rain check for a sale item (?) but they could take half off my current purchase. Uh, ok. So those 4 cans were 2 for $2.50
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 5:19:27 AM EDT
[#44]
DAK is back on sale @ 2 for $5 again this week (05/05/13--05/11/13).

Bon Appetite!
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#46]
thanks for the heads up

it isnt gourmet but not really that bad and in a SHTF situation will be great to have,I love spam hot cold right out of the can its good

armour treat is about the only one I dont care for but fried it kind of tastes like fried bologna and is edible
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks again for the heads up again OP!

Picked up several and got a rain check for 10 more.

Was doing grocery shopping today and had a chance to compare the CVS sale price to the Walmart price. Walmart has theirs priced at $3.68 in my area so picking these up on sale at CVS is saving me $1.18 each.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks again for the heads up again OP!

Picked up several and got a rain check for 10 more.

Was doing grocery shopping today and had a chance to compare the CVS sale price to the Walmart price. Walmart has theirs priced at $3.68 in my area so picking these up on sale at CVS is saving me $1.18 each.

I'm always glad to help any man who has such a cunning hat in his avatar!  
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm always glad to help any man who has such a cunning hat in his avatar!  

And in real life thanks to Ma Cobb's Hat Shoppe! Sadly I cannot pull off the same level of cunning as the man they call Jayne.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top