Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 12:32:57 PM EDT
I barely made it through today. Lost power in Arizona. Okay for two hours in the morning Power just came back on.

While I didn't plan on going in the fridge or freezer, figured I have a perfectly good genset and haven't actually used it other than some bi-yearly runs for the past 4+ years.

Flipped all my breakers to off and flipped the subpanel for my solar off. Fired up generator just fine (got to love it when these things fire up so easily, fresh gas was added a couple months ago during the testing of my suicide cord.) Made sure it ran okay then hooked up suicide cord to dryer outlet, then into 240 interlock of genset. Then flipped the switch to make the outlet live. Went to breaker and flipped on the dryer circuit and then the kitchen ones. Also the living room so I can have my ceiling fan on and watch my modem. As soon as modem gets a connection, I knew they restored power (obviously cannot establish a connection if the same power feeds the terminals outside.) Once I saw internet, simply flipped the switch to cut power, remove cord from genset, flipped fuel switch to off so it'd use the gas out of the line, pulled cord from dryer outlet and hooked dryer back up, then flipped the on breakers to off, flipped main breaker, then flipped everything back on.

Isn't that complicated and got a good test out of it. Gotta love backfeeding instead of running extension cords everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm back feeding through a proper outlet, cord, and interlock kit. I really like how easy it is to switch over to my Champion 3500. It runs our well pump and the rest of the house easily. Takes 5 minutes including warm up. I built my little genny house right on the deck so my wife can hook it up easily.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm back feeding through a proper outlet, cord, and interlock kit. I really like how easy it is to switch over to my Champion 3500. It runs our well pump and the rest of the house easily. Takes 5 minutes including warm up. I built my little genny house right on the deck so my wife can hook it up easily.
View Quote

I just open the garage side door and dump exhaust into the alley. Have a CO detector setup but not worried about it coming back in.

It can't run the A/C but from a previous thread, I do have a small portable A/C I can run to cool one room exclusively if need be.

Just too bloody hot to stick it in it's own small shed, much more secure in my garage anyways. I can hear it and any BGs attempting to steal it. Longer term, I may run a chain around frame to my truck frame just to make sure it can't be waltzed off with quickly
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Suicide cord???

Unthinkable...

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just open the garage side door and dump exhaust into the alley. Have a CO detector setup but not worried about it coming back in.

It can't run the A/C but from a previous thread, I do have a small portable A/C I can run to cool one room exclusively if need be.

Just too bloody hot to stick it in it's own small shed, much more secure in my garage anyways. I can hear it and any BGs attempting to steal it. Longer term, I may run a chain around frame to my truck frame just to make sure it can't be waltzed off with quickly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The genny is cable locked into the house and the house stays locked when it's not in use.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Suicide cord???

Unthinkable...

View Quote

Not sure if serious.

I have never understood the butt hole puckering when it comes to a male-male power cord. It is about PROCEDURE.
We do this kind of stuff at work all the time. On my work bench I have an AC cord with clip leads on the down stream end. Err... don't hook it up wrong or you going are going to get smoke / flames or shock the crap out of yourself. Push'n 60 and haven't electrocuted myself yet....

If you don't understand how it works, don't try this.

EXPY - you tinker with stuff all the time, I'm sure you have done plenty of 'hot' connections.... <grin>
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

I have never understood the butt hole puckering when it comes to a male-male power cord. It is about PROCEDURE.
We do this kind of stuff at work all the time. On my work bench I have an AC cord with clip leads on the down stream end. Err... don't hook it up wrong or you going are going to get smoke / flames or shock the crap out of yourself. Push'n 60 and haven't electrocuted myself yet....

EXPY - you tinker with stuff all the time, I'm sure you have done plenty of 'hot' connections.... <grin>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suicide cord???

Unthinkable...

Not sure if serious.

I'm pretty sure he's being cheeky

Interlocks are for the lowest common denominator. I get why, many can probably suicide cord right back in but I'm guessing they have families who don't care and don't want to risk fire/death.

It's just me so there's no point installing a separate male receptacle nor an interlock kit. Costs too much and what if I move? I've moved several times in the past 5 years and have never needed the genset until today. Hell I didn't even need it today, to be fair. I just wanted to test  it
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suicide cord???

Unthinkable...

Not sure if serious.

I like interlocks or transfer switch because it makes sure no one gets killed if I forget something. Or if I'm away from home and my wife or kids set it up...Or if its six in the morning and I've had a few beers the night before.. Me flipping all the correct swiches with a clear head in the right order is the optimal scenario..Or there is a monster blizzard going on and I'm in a hurry to get back inside.I have to make sure no one gets killed and I'm not screwed for life when things get sub optimal.  An inlet box and an interlock is money well spent.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

that's because you view the world by your own skillset.

100:1 -- that's the ratio:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/670186__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Wiring_furnace_for_temporary_generator_connection.html&page=2#i11458305

Quoted:

what voltage is on the neutral blade of the receptacle of the ubiquitous Honda EU2000i generator?

Quoted:

if you live by yourself and you trust that you can do everything in order when it is dark, during inclement weather, when you are tired, then by all means have at it.

1) there is an ARFCOM'er here who thought the very same thing.  he blew up his generator when he accidentally switched the mains back on without disconnecting the generator from the suicide cord.

2) there is a dead lineman because a nearby homeowner got the suicide cord procedure wrong.
http://www.oshrc.gov/decisions/html_2007/06-0166.htm

Facts

In July 2005, Pike sent a crew to Flomaton, Alabama, after the Gulf Coast area had been damaged by a hurricane. Alabama Power Company contracted Pike to assist with repairing downed power lines and broken poles. Pike’s crew comprised six workers supervised by foreman and lineman Richard Green. The crew traveled to Flomaton on July 11 and spent the night. At 7:00 a.m. on July 12, Green and Pike linemen Ronnie Adams and Robert Mitchell met with employees from Alabama Power Company to discuss the repair work (Tr. 23-25). Green and Adams were Class A lineman. Mitchell was a Class C lineman (at the time of the hearing, he was a Class B lineman) (Tr. 56-58).

An Alabama Power Company representative warned Pike’s employees to be on the lookout for portable generators. Homeowners often use portable generators as a temporary energy source when storms knock out power lines. If the homeowner hooks up the generator directly to the house’s circuit (rather than using it to power a single appliance), energy from the generator could “backfeed” from the house and re-energize the power lines (Tr. 26-27).

After meeting with Alabama Power Company, Green held a meeting with the six Pike employees. He explained the work to be done and divided the men into two crews: Mitchell worked with Ryan Chamberlain and Curtis Montgomery, and Adams worked with groundman Matthew Snow and equipment operator Todd Casey (Tr. 39, 66). Green assigned Adams’s crew to replace a damaged pole and to re-hang the four lines on a three-phase tap line on Jackson Street (Tr. 37-39). Green worked with Adams’s crew until they started setting the new pole, around noon. Then Green left to work with Mitchell’s crew (Tr. 72-73).

Pike was treating the power lines as de-energized because Alabama Power Company had opened the switches inside the substation (which prevented the circuit from being completed and energizing the lines). At the pole directly outside the substation designated as Y5307 on Wilkerson Street, Pike opened the set of switches on the pole, flagged, tagged, and grounded them. Pike also removed the jumpers to the phases from the switches at pole Y5307 (Exh. C-5). Green testified Pike did this despite the open switches in the substation just a few feet away “as an extra layer of protection” (Tr. 32). Also, Pike opened the set of switches and flagged, tagged, and grounded them at a pole designated as Y7929 on Ringold Street (Tr. 30-32). When operating normally, the three-phase line is energized at 7,220 volts, phase to ground (Exh. J-1; Tr. 27).

The two poles (Y5307 and Y7929) were on the same power distribution line. Between these two poles, a tap power line ran down Jackson Street and terminated at a dead-end pole. The transformer located on the dead-end pole was not opened, tagged, flagged and grounded.

After Green left, Adams went up in an insulated lift to repair the damaged lines. Three of the lines (the neutral, the road phase, and the field phase) were broken. The fourth line (the central line) was sagging but intact (Tr. 61). Although Adams could have repaired the sagging central line without splicing it, he chose to cut the line. The line on which Adam was working was connected by a secondary line to a house at the end of Jackson Street (referred to at the hearing as “a doctor’s house”). The homeowner had connected a portable generator to the house’s circuitry which caused electrical energy to backfeed to the line Adams was splicing, energizing it. Adams was electrocuted when he cut the line (Tr. 40, 95, 222, 269). The company has no written work rule requiring employees working on de-energized lines to wear protective rubber gloves (Tr. 40, 44). Adams was wearing leather work gloves, but not rubber gloves that day.

Compliance officer Dale Schneider arrived at the site the day after Adams’s death, on July 13, 2005. Following Schneider’s investigation of the circumstances surrounding the fatality, the Secretary issued the citations that gave rise to this proceeding on January 6, 2006.

3) even people who should know better -- and are TRAINED -- can end up dead.  as an example, a retired firefighter died from CO poisoning because he operated a generator in his garage...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/661411_Sandy____12_days_without_power__what_worked__what_didn_t____.html&page=7#i11545371

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like interlocks or transfer switch because it makes sure no one gets killed if I forget something. Or if I'm away from home and my wife or kids set it up...Or if its six in the morning and I've had a few beers the night before.. Me flipping all the correct swiches with a clear head in the right order is the optimal scenario..Or there is a monster blizzard going on and I'm in a hurry to get back inside.I have to make sure no one gets killed and I'm not screwed for life when things get sub optimal.  An inlet box and an interlock is money well spent.
View Quote

+1.

i had an experience two years ago where the utility power was off for 12 days and it changed the way i look at a lot of things -- because such a condition breaks normal routine and you have to modify HOW you work.  having technical issues simplified around you make those situations easier -- and fail-safe when you are tired and over- or multi-tasked.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Related to this, and I don't know if it's a good price, but I just saw Cabela's has these on sale for $329.99.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Related to this, and I don't know if it's a good price, but I just saw Cabela's has these on sale for $329.99.
View Quote

Similar, except for the idiotic paint scheme because I think they're charging extra for that. I want to say my tank is 5 gallon capacity as well, not 4. I wonder if they reduced the size then... Otherwise it looks pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suicide cord???

Unthinkable...

Not sure if serious.

Not enuf...  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

SNIP........

View Quote

Seriously - Sorry man it was not my intention to strike a nerve.

I could take pretty much everything you wrote and make an analogy for NOT owning a gun. Glock's don't have safeties, you are awoken in the middle of the night, wife and kids are untrained and home alone, etc., etc. None of that seems to stop anyone here from having a gun.

I'm not advocating unbridled use of male-male power cords. Again - If you don't understand -> don't do it.

It's all about procedure. Procedure is why you don't have any extra holes in you when you leave the range.

Example - The guy that threw the mains back on:
If he had a pad lock on the service entrance, that would have been a big clue to shut the genny down and disconnect the power cable first before throwing the mains.....

Question:
Every time this subject comes up there is a comment about hooking up the genny -> tired - in the dark - in a blizzard, etc. ?

What is so important that you NEED electricity NOW. Why not wait until morning and do it then when you can see what is going on, plan the procedure out properly, etc.
I can see the ski runs at Tahoe from my house. We get a fair amount of snow (22 ft / yr at the lake), big winds (news is saying 120mph on the ridges all the time), and lighting storms, etc. In 30 yrs I have been here, I have hooked up the genny at night, once to charge up the freezer and the was on my terms (extension cord). If I remotely thought it was dangerous, I would have blown it off until morning.

I still don't get the fear double standard I see on this site. Some things are non issues and others carry a shrill warning.
Wasn't it TJ that recently ate crap on his motorcycle? Nobody had a panic on how dangerous riding is. Far more people on ARF.com have died on a bike than by genny. I had a super sport for a while -> rev to 10k and pump the clutch as fast as you can.. Scared the living crap out of myself - took it home - parked it - sold it. I have never been on a street or dirt bike since. You don't hear me yelling about how dangerous it is. Your choice - your risk.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I could take pretty much everything you wrote and make an analogy for NOT owning a gun. Glock's don't have safeties, you are awoken in the middle of the night, wife and kids are untrained and home alone, etc., etc. None of that seems to stop anyone here from having a gun.

I'm not advocating unbridled use of male-male power cords. Again - If you don't understand -> don't do it.

It's all about procedure. Procedure is why you don't have any extra holes in you when you leave the range.

If he had a pad lock on the service entrance, that would have been a big clue to shut the genny down and disconnect the power cable first before throwing the mains.....

Question:
Every time this subject comes up there is a comment about hooking up the genny -> tired - in the dark - in a blizzard, etc. ?

What is so important that you NEED electricity NOW. Why not wait until morning and do it then when you can see what is going on, plan the procedure out properly, etc.
I can see the ski runs at Tahoe from my house. We get a fair amount of snow (22 ft / yr at the lake), big winds (news is saying 120mph on the ridges all the time), and lighting storms, etc. In 30 yrs I have been here, I have hooked up the genny at night, once to charge up the freezer and the was on my terms (extension cord). If I remotely thought it was dangerous, I would have blown it off until morning.

I still don't get the fear double standard I see on this site. Some things are non issues and others carry a shrill warning.
Wasn't it TJ that recently ate crap on his motorcycle? Nobody had a panic on how dangerous riding is. Far more people on ARF.com have died on a bike than by genny. I had a super sport for a while -> rev to 10k and pump the clutch as fast as you can.. Scared the living crap out of myself - took it home - parked it - sold it. I have never been on a street or dirt bike since. You don't hear me yelling about how dangerous it is. Your choice - your risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SNIP........

Question:

I ride a bike...a fairly fast one.  I paid the extra money for gear to make it a little safer...same thing with my 69dollar interlock...a little insurance to make the it safer..but here is how a bike and a suicide plug are different..you get on a bike you put your life on the line....you screw up with a suicide corf you put someone else's life on the line as well as your own
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

but here is how a bike and a suicide plug are different..you get on a bike you put your life on the line....you screw up with a suicide cord you put someone else's life on the line as well as your own
View Quote

Case in point... You feel that a motorcycle is safer because you have and ride one. You are comfortable with it. But you are not comfortable with a male-male cord, therefore it's dangerous.

Bike only outs your life on the line? Err... totally disagree.  You run a red light and get hit by a mini-van. You could end up going thru the windshield, cause a multi-car pile up, etc.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Case in point... You feel that a motorcycle is safer because you have and ride one. You are comfortable with it. But you are not comfortable with a male-male cord, therefore it's dangerous.

Bike only outs your life on the line? Err... totally disagree.  You run a red light and get hit by a mini-van. You could end up going thru the windshield, cause a multi-car pile up, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but here is how a bike and a suicide plug are different..you get on a bike you put your life on the line....you screw up with a suicide cord you put someone else's life on the line as well as your own

Lol..you forgot..I buy a helmet and jacket for my bike "dress for the slide, not for the ride" I KNOW riding is dangerous but I CHOOSE to do it anyway and I (and this is important) TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS and the fact remains that the rider puts himself in danger not the guy in the 8000lb SUV.  

same goes with using a generator ..I use the necessary precautions not so much to protect me this time ...but to protect the other guy
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Question on those champion generators,
Do they bond neutral and ground at the generator?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Question on those champion generators,
Do they bond neutral and ground at the generator?
View Quote

if you are asking about the 3500W/4000W model, the schematic is in this post:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/668846_Champion_generator_model_46598_3_5KW_running___4_0KW_surge___observations__details__and_photos.html

ETA
see also
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/671071__ARCHIVED_THREAD____soliciting_feedback_on_emergency_generator_usage_how_to_document_written_for_layperson___.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

example:
the dryer outlet you use in conjunction with a suicide cord has three wires, or four?  
is everyone's dryer outlet configured like yours is?

like i said above, 100:1.  
set a standard, not an exception.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/670956_Christmas_Generator_Present_Fail.html

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

example:
the dryer outlet you use in conjunction with a suicide cord has three wires, or four?  

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

example:

ar-jedi

What is the point of linking that thread? Some dude has an old mother that doesn't know how a fridge works let alone a genset. What's that have to do with the price of tea in china?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

{SNIP}
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SNIP........

{SNIP}

I own several pistols, some with manual safeties, some without.  Regardless I don't point them at people I don't wish to shoot.  You should still follow basic safety rules.
Using a "suicide cord" as a PLAN is plain dumb.  If an emergency happened and there was no way to anticipate the need beforehand I can see making one up on the fly, but I would do it reluctantly.

I have an Interlock with inlet box and correct (M -> F) cord.  I am legal.  My insurance can't deny a claim because of my emergency power input.  I won't go to jail or get sued for killing someone because I was too lazy and cheap to do it the right way.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I own several pistols, some with manual safeties, some without.  Regardless I don't point them at people I don't wish to shoot.  You should still follow basic safety rules.
Using a "suicide cord" as a PLAN is plain dumb.  If an emergency happened and there was no way to anticipate the need beforehand I can see making one up on the fly, but I would do it reluctantly.

I have an Interlock with inlet box and correct (M -> F) cord.  I am legal.  My insurance can't deny a claim because of my emergency power input.  I won't go to jail or get sued for killing someone because I was too lazy and cheap to do it the right way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SNIP........

{SNIP}

What is the "right" way?

It was not my intention to get people riled up here. But please don't come into my thread and tell me I'm doing it wrong. I pre-made this, there isn't anything about doing it "on the fly." I've tested the system. I even put it into use (hence the thread.)

I won't go to jail and insurance has nothing to do with it. A cord is a cord. Having two male ends simply means one end is exposed contact meaning one could touch a "hot" lead. However, disconnecting and connecting at the genset first and foremost will ALWAYS be safe. Once disconnected from the generator, one cannot be shocked from said generator. The power is gone (house is dead at the panel, remember?) You can't blow up a generator when flipping power on because you disconnected it as step one. (Well, I flip the selector switch to off first before pulling the plug but that's beside the point.)

Then while I let the generator runs down (turn fuel switch off) I unplug the from the wall (after all I am about to restore power and don't need a hot male cable laying around when power comes on.)

With generator disconnected and suicide cord disconnected, it's as if it was never connected and I can flip my breakers on (and subsequently my sub breaker for my solar setup.)

I wouldn't be doing this in the middle of the night or a storm. Those arguments are ridiculous. Firstly, there is nothing that can't last the night that I need power right the fuck now. Secondly, if it's storming and power goes out, once again there is nothing I need right now. Freezer and fridge will last. Even then, the generator is indoors and so is cable and the only thing that would be an annoyance are the breakers on the outside. But again, there's nothing that requires immediate power. Insulated devices will last a bit without being opened, I don't need A/C immediately, and that's about all I use power for. Worst case scenario, I can run my fridge and freezer off my EU2000i without backfeeding.

So, being a single man with full knowledge how this works and a tried and true system, please explain how I am "dumb."
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What is the "right" way?

So, being a single man with full knowledge how this works and a tried and true system, please explain how I am "dumb."
View Quote

Beyond me......

What scares me more is a having a set of male pins permanently sticking out of my house that are a screw driver and bent piece of sheet away from being hotted up. But that's just me...

I think the problem is an endemic fear of "what if" / "don't do anything -> something might go wrong".

I'll leave you with this:
I started having a belt chirp noise in my car. Went to YouTube and found a Diagnosing Belt Noise video from Gates. Early on they go into a long spiel about looking under the hood with your engine running might KILL you and should only be done by a professional.

Jeez - I wish I knew this all those times I had my hand down in there with a timing light while tweaking the advance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top