Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 6:13:58 PM EDT
Well, I'd planned to be home in Southwest Oklahoma hunting coyotes this week, but my trip was mothballed.

I needed to cheer myself up, so I picked up a Wildfire II. It seems like a pretty far step up from my lame attempts at mouth calls. It should up my chances at the least. I'll try it out in the field for the first time tomorrow.

Do any of you guys use one of these?

I called two house cats into my back yard already this afternoon! (I didn't harm them.)

Wish me luck!! I'll post some pics if I get anything................
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You chose a good caller. Which sounds did it come with? Remember, e-callers will give you a very excellent advantage in some situations - just don't abuse it! Many fall to the temptation of playing lots of sounds really loud on every stand just because they can. Besides, you'll only end up using a half-dozen sounds or so once you figure out what works.

Post pics of your kills!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It came with 35 sounds. Lightning Jack sounds the best to me and seems to be popular. It has wood pecker, rabbit, coyote, raccoon, mouse, puppy, fox, wolf, mt.loin, crow, and squirrel sounds installed, and can hold 200 total.

It has a new feature (I think it's new) called Foxbang. When your rifle is fired, it switches to a preprogrammed sound and starts to play it.  A lot of the hunters in the videos I've watched use the coyote distress for that, so that's what I did. It is supposed to draw in the mate or second coyote if it's hiding or just out of sight.

I've worked up some 60gn VMax loads and some 52gn HPBT loads that have the same zero for my AR . Both loads chronoed at about 2900fps.Should be fun this afternoon/evening. I'm going to take my video camera too..........

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Just purchased one at Bass Pro in springfield too!

I called in 50 crows, 2 owls and about 50 cows in the past 2 days. Damn these coyotes are illusive!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
What call for cows?

I plan to try the crow thing, but I want a yote first. I didn't get to go tonight like I'd planned. Maybe tomorrow.............
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...chronoed at about 2900fps...

Sorry about the off topic question but what length barrel did you use to chrony the 60Vmax?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the barrel I have, but I had turned it down to lighten it. I have a PRI adjustable gas block on it too.
White Oak Armament 1X8 Stainless

It shoots a lot better than I can!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The wildfire 2 comes with 2 Crow sounds pre-installed. One is a Crow Dying, the other is Crow Fight, then I downloaded the free Crow vs Owl call.

The crow fight and Dying crow seemed most effective, when they got bored of looking for the Crow Fight, Id switch it to the Crow dying and they would come right back, rinse and repeat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The wildfire 2 comes with 2 Crow sounds pre-installed. One is a Crow Dying, the other is Crow Fight, then I downloaded the free Crow vs Owl call.

The crow fight and Dying crow seemed most effective, when they got bored of looking for the Crow Fight, Id switch it to the Crow dying and they would come right back, rinse and repeat.

I didn't know about the free sounds. Thanks for the heads up! Although I didn't bring the sync cable................I can't use them yet. It didn't matter anyway. My Father in law has come outside every night with his dog to see if I'm calling anything up.  Three stands ruined.

Tonight I got one close about 100yds, but it ran off. (I'm using my 9mm AR, so I have to have them to at least 50yds.) FIL started talking right after that, so I'm pretty sure why that yote seemed skiddish.

Maybe tomorrow when I get back home...................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top