Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2007 5:33:32 AM EDT
Did any of your black bears make that death moan you read about?

Mine did.

Shot him, he ran about 30-40 yards into some thick stuff, some thrashing around, then this eriee moan, then silence.  Then it got dark.  In Maine.  It was rather spooky.

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine did not.

I shot mine and he ran about 40 yards straight down the mountain and I heard him wad up and then a "small" sound a few seconds later and then nothing.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
nope...never heard it. I have killed a few but usually they fall out of the tree from this

lead in the head = dead  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
A few of mine have, kinda spooky in the dark & all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A few of mine have, kinda spooky in the dark & all.

I would think that would be the sweetest sound you could hear after the shot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The last one I arrowed ran about 35 yards into the brush and I thought I heard a moan.  I wasn't quite "certain" if it had moaned or not.   I was comforted by the fact that I always carry a "hand brake" when bow hunting.  It was dead when I found it, and it was dark.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  Mine did.   Kind of spooky.  I threw a couple of sticks at her and poked her and she never moved.  Then I went up to her and grabbed her leg to move her and she had that residual nerve twitch in her leg.  
Let's just say my pants were a little warm and greasy while I was dragging out the bear
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes.  Mine did.   Kind of spooky.  I threw a couple of sticks at her and poked her and she never moved.  Then I went up to her and grabbed her leg to move her and she had that residual nerve twitch in her leg.  
Let's just say my pants were a little warm and greasy while I was dragging out the bear

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot mine with a .458 win mag. He didnt make a peep. :)
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Two of mine did and when you combine it with how they look field dressed.....it's kinda scary.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine did, two realy load moans that raised the hair on my neck and echoed through out the woods.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude ..

Spooky .. Kinda feel sorry for the damn thing.

Spooky Black Bear Death Moan
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The only sound I heard was a thump. A Rainer 350gr HP from a .50 Beowulf dead center in the chest doesn't give anything much of a chance
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I nailed one with a .338WM right through the heart on a perfect broadside from only 40 yds.  He went ten feet into some brush and then screamed/roared for about 10 seconds.  It was awesome!  I guess his lungs worked a little!  Autopsy showed a shredded heart.  Absolutely destroyed the heart.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I nailed one with a .338WM right through the heart on a perfect broadside from only 40 yds.  He went ten feet into some brush and then screamed/roared for about 10 seconds.  It was awesome!  I guess his lungs worked a little!  Autopsy showed a shredded heart.  Absolutely destroyed the heart.

Amazing animals run 10 feet and then still roar and moan with a shatterd heart.  In that video that black bear took THREE 300 Mag rnds and still jumped around.  Gotta respect that!  Especially from a round that would rip your arm off if it even passed near you.

Kinda makes me wonder if 762x39 is too anemic for a bear.  The whole reason Im in this forum was to do research on bear hunting Ive never been.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing animals run 10 feet and then still roar and moan with a shatterd heart.  In that video that black bear took THREE 300 Mag rnds and still jumped around.  Gotta respect that!  Especially from a round that would rip your arm off if it even passed near you.

Kinda makes me wonder if 762x39 is too anemic for a bear.  The whole reason Im in this forum was to do research on bear hunting Ive never been.  

This may be just me, but I wouldn't think of taking a 7.62X39 into bear country. I have seen what a pissed off bear can do to a whole pack of dogs after taking 2 shots from a .45/70. Here is the pic to prove it (notice the bullet whole in the head, 1st shot).

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/RUGrendel/2009_0103hunting080009.jpg
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dude ..

saddest sound ive ever heard an animal make
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude ..

saddest sound ive ever heard an animal make

I agree.  Mine made it once for at most a second or two. Then silence and darkness.

I was spooked, sad, and, elated at the same time.

Hunters understand.  Non-hunters don't.

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#18]
mine did. i shoot him he feel out of the tree. when he hit the ground i put another round in him. both great shots. i looked at my budy that has the hounds and asked if he needed more lead. he said its just what they do some times. when u dress them out it is strange looking at the meat with the noise he made its a little strange

stuck
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn, that video is spooky!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]
What sort of fuckwadd would sit there and let it wail.  The first shot in the video was really shitty.  Clean your fucking glasses Gomer Pyle.  Shoot the bEAR in the heart or head.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the sound of a creature in pain that feels its life draining away. So that "spooky" feeling is actually your conscience. Surprise.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
. So that "spooky" feeling is actually your conscience. Surprise.

Um, no it's not.

Thanks for playing.

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the sound of a creature in pain that feels its life draining away. So that "spooky" feeling is actually your conscience. Surprise.

Actually, it's the air in the lungs escaping that makes the noise. Mine did it three times. It is cool, you know it's down and dead.

Eta: This is called the Bear death moan, caused by the sudden collapse of the lungs after death. This moan is very loud and can last intermittently for up to a minute after the bear dies. Hunter's, especially archers, use this sound as a signal that it is safe to approach their quarry. It is said that this death moan occurs in only 40% of the kills.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it's the air in the lungs escaping that makes the noise. Mine did it three times. It is cool, you know it's down and dead.

Eta: This is called the Bear death moan, caused by the sudden collapse of the lungs after death. This moan is very loud and can last intermittently for up to a minute after the bear dies. Hunter's, especially archers, use this sound as a signal that it is safe to approach their quarry. It is said that this death moan occurs in only 40% of the kills.

I dont know about that . that may have been true for the last moan..  All I know is what I saw In that video and that bear "moaned" more than once, like he took breaths to do it...   I dont know if it is Concience or not but it it sure was sad for me.  I would probably kept shooting still it was "dead" and not "moaning".  

I didnt know rabbits shreiked either until i shot one and it ran in a circle screeching like a banshee.  that didnt bother me, but the bear moan in that video sure as heck did. *shiver*

I dont think i wanna bear hunt anymore.

ETA:  I went back and counted the Moans 12 total.  I belive your statement for the last (12th moan)  may be true but the others,  hmm.   that thing took a breath to moan man .. kinda like crying out to his mom or for help; or knowing he was passing..
..Dont get me wrong if it was between me and Smokey the bear ill be alive with my 9mm .. lol
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought I wanted to hunt black bear, and I have hunted a LOT of things.

I can't remember if it was online or in a magazine that a hunter had badly shot a black bear and tracked him for a day or so, all the while it cried out and sounded like a baby. That would be disheartening.

Now if old bear was trying to eat me or mine, I would drop it in a second.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Ethical hunters always strive for quick and clean kills but death doesn't work that way.  Its that closeness with the animal that comes from taking its life that is very special to true hunters and non-hunters will never understand it.  A true hunter respects the animal and does not take pleasure in the killing but rather the life it will give as it completes the predator/prey relationship.  

Today, people think meat was created by God in those nice wrapped packages at the grocery store.  They have no connection to the natrual experience or the land.  These are usually the people who show up on the hunting threads with their asinine comments.  Life isn't a Disney movie.

The idiot bubba type "hunters" who enjoy the wasting of an animals life as sport or wall ornaments aren't any better off than the fools previously mentioned.

I am glad death isn't surgically clean because if it were the taking of an animals life would have no more meaning or consequence than playing a video game.  An animals will to live is astounding and even with perfect heart shots they can keep going on pure will for a surprisingly long time.  Headshots are not the answer either.  Its far too easy to miss and horribly wound an animal trying them in most situations.  The head is a small target and constantly moving.  Plenty of hunters can tell you nightmare stories of some poor deer with its jaw shot off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#28]
ETA: I went back and counted the Moans 12 total. I belive your statement for the last (12th moan) may be true but the others, hmm. that thing took a breath to moan man .. kinda like crying out to his mom or for help; or knowing he was passing..
..Dont get me wrong if it was between me and Smokey the bear ill be alive with my 9mm .. lol
Frogster
__________________________________________________________________________________
Might want to ask some bear guides or folks who hunt them every year. While it may be atypical, I still believe the bear is already dead. The exit hole size, the way the bear fell after death (possible it partially covered the bullet hole), even whether it just took a breath as you shot may contribute to how many times it moans. You may also be right that the death wasn't instant and the bear might have taken a breath or two before finally expiring. Look how far deer can run with heart/lungs blown to pieces. That always impresses me as to how tough and on alert they are at all times.
But I'd rather hear moans as opposed to not hearing them. Not hearing them means you might have a wounded bear and not a dead bear. Now that's spooky. Even though I told the guide about the three moans, he didn't want to go out in the dark in case another bear was around and you can't have a loaded gun in Canada at night. Matter of fact, fyi, I think you also have to have the trigger lock in place while the gun is in your vehicle at night in Canada. I remember their DNR folks set up a check point one night and caught a few people carrying guns in a manner the Crown frowned upon. Not a good thing to have happen in a country you don't reside in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But I'd rather hear moans as opposed to not hearing them. Not hearing them means you might have a wounded bear and not a dead bear.

+1!  Also, from reating some Capstick books a few years ago I think I remember him saying that Cape buffalo do the same, and that it's a big relief to hear it.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Both of my bears that did it were DRT, they never moved an inch after the shot, went straight down. It has nothing to do with "making a good shot or humanely killing them"- they were dead and just didn't know it. That's how life is....death too, it's not always wrapped in sterile butcher paper under bright lights- sometimes it's nasty, bloody, dirty and dark.......primal. The way it should be.

You want to clinically kill shit, like in a lab....hang up the rifle and go to work in a slaughter house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#31]
The last one I shot dropped with a high double lung shot that shocked the spine. I walked up to him and he started making more of a bawling/crying sound. It actually sounded like a youngster trying to say maaamaaaa!  I was glad when it stopped.
Tuco
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#32]
1 of the 3 bears I've shot made the moan. It was the biggest at 472#. 1st shot hit the shoulder and exited just in front of the off shoulder. 2nd shot was quartering away at the last rib and exited the offside shoulder and he dropped to this hit. He was about 125 yds away and made the loudest moan/bawling sound I've ever heard from an animal. I got to him as quick as I could through the blowdowns and finished him off to end it. It lasted about 30-40 seconds and he was still alive lifting his head so I know it wasn't an after death thing. Both were good solid hits with a 375 Ultra Mag and 300 gr A Frame bullets. It was a sad thing to hear but I'm a hunter and accept it as part of the overall experience. If I had a video of the hunt I wouldn't put it on youtube for some anti hunteg group to get & use against us.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#33]
i shot my first black bear about 2-3 years ago in canada. they told me about it and i didnt think anything of it. but when i heard that, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. and being from central east iowa, where the worst thing you'll see/hear is a coyote. that and when your 10 yards from a bait barrel trying to load it into the truck and you hear something hitting a plastic drum, damn near shit my pants. after that trip i carry a flash light with me every time i walk through the woods here now
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#34]
In my opinion a head shot on a bear is BS. The shot in the picture looks to be only a wound thus the last 2 rounds. The bears skull is extremly stream lined and even a shot through the eye from head on just blows out the eye socket and will not hit the brain cavity. Nice little bear though...
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Probably not...

Now, if you had a .45ACP...

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#36]
- .308 180 grs Nosler Partition Federal HE
- entry wound behind shoulder
- lung and liver with ~5 cm permanent wound channel
- ran 25 m
- death moan
- silence

... my black bear experience in BC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I really don't think the death moan is a physiological thing the bear autonomously does like some kind of a bear death rattle, I think it's just the sound of an animal in pain and preparing to die. Almost any mammal will make a noise when critically wounded but not yet dead. I think it's the bear equivalent "HOLY SHIT! You shot me, I don't want to die!"

I'm not a liberal or anything and I am a hunter but when animals make noise when I shoot them I always assume it's because they're in pain and dying, I don't try to lie to myself about it to rest my conscience. Getting shot sucks. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling remorse even after a good kill, in my opinion it only goes to show that we are truly in touch with nature and respect our fellow creatures and realize that they have their own spirit and will to survive. Taking it from them is a sacred thing that too many people take lightly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I have taken 2 bears and they both did the death moan thing.  Both were solid double lung and heart shots, both bears ran less than 20 yards.  The first one was a short moan and then nothing, the second (this year) was one of the most pathetic things I have ever heard in the wild.  He moaned for a good 15-20 seconds and it made me very uneasy, I was super excited about the bear as he was a brute, but also a little sad fromall that moaning.  When I opened him up both lungs were destroyed and the top of the heart was shredded.  amazing animals.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Mine did.....

That was the first shot, second was int eh guts, and the third was in the shoulder from about 4 feet away while he was running........

He gave one death moan, then exhaled nad that was it....
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got back from my first black bear hunt and decided to use my bow.  It ended up running about 30 yards after a double lung shot and didnt moan but made some god awful gurgling sounds right before it died.  

I'm glad to see so many hunters out there, share the same feelings that I have about hunting, the sense of excitement, remorse, respect for the animal, appreciation for nature, etc.  It's the "kill, kill, kill!" hunters that give hunting a bad name.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]
shameless bump

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#43]
this is one of the reasons i never got into hunting.

I can't bear to see an animal suffer especially if it's by my hands. (accidental pun)
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I can't bear to see an animal suffer especially if it's by my hands. (accidental pun)

"Suffer"?

No.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Did moan twice and I heard it from about 75 yards away.   Creepy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why the fuck are you even posting in a bear hunting section.  Just to give us shit???  Some moan, some don't, they all taste good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top